Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 10:16 AM   #21
TNBearcat3

TNBearcat3 is on a distinguished road
We win by 10 and this gets us rolling into March.

This is my Hope, Prayer and Wish. You really never know in this game, it wouldn't be surprising to see either team win by 20 or go into OT.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:16 AM   #22
Bearcat22
Elite Member

Bearcat22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by handwaver View Post
I don't think UC has a prayer. Cats are playing like absolute crap - Xavier has struggled lately too, but they have more weapons....UC might stop a few, but not all.

The key stats are these: They have turned the ball over 303 times, while scoring 1988 pts.

The Cats have turned the ball over 331 times, while scoring 1543 pt.

X Assist/TO = 447/303
UC = 288/331

If, by some miracle, UC can handle the ball & limit the gifts, they might have a shot, but I don't hold out much hope.

Sorry to be such a downer, but this team has crapped on every flowering of optimism I've had this year. I'm starting to expect failure as a defense mechanism against the pain of dashed hopes.

The one ray of sunshine I have is from a negative incident. I wonder (and this is based on no knowledge whatsoever), if Moore's suspension will rally the team. Or, perhaps a problem has been removed that will have a positive bounce. He might be a wonderful young man - I have no idea - his teammates might love him, again, no idea. Just from observing his demeanor, as others have posted, he seems removed, distant, sulking half the time. That does not foster team chemistry or provide the fire and sense of shared purpose that winning requires.

I hope I'm an idiot with this prediction, and if so, will gladly be called such (and embrace it), but I predict X 72 - 54
With new players and players playing increased roles these ups and downs had to be expected. It doesn't make it less frustrating, but somewhat expected and impossible to predict scores. I wouldn't be shocked if we won or lost by 20. Two losses in a row at home is territory we don't want to venture into.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:25 AM   #23
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
I expect a large X victory as well. Xavier sucks at defense but is good on offense and especially lately, UC has had huge gaps in their defense. Xavier will exploit this. Plus, even though Xavier's defense sucks, it really doesn't matter when the team you are guarding can't shoot worth a lick and plays at such a slow tempo. Maybe, just maybe, if UC can actually make open shots, then they will have a good chance.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:37 AM   #24
BCM
Epic Member

BCM is an unknown quantity at this point
I will never pick against UC in this game. Ever. I don't care how pessimistic or "realistic" you are you do not pick X over UC.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:54 AM   #25
Bearcat Rob
Elite Member

Bearcat Rob is on a distinguished road
I honestly dont understand how xavier (16-10) is projected in the tournament, their best ooc win is murray state which has an rpi of 69. isnt that why smu didnt make it last year?
Old 02-16-2015, 10:56 AM   #26
Bearcat Rob
Elite Member

Bearcat Rob is on a distinguished road
Also when we lost ecu everyone was freaking out and we bounced back with a big win @smu a very good team. I am very confident the teams bounces back wednsday in front of a rocking crowd
Old 02-16-2015, 11:00 AM   #27
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
I expect a large X victory as well. Xavier sucks at defense but is good on offense and especially lately, UC has had huge gaps in their defense. Xavier will exploit this. Plus, even though Xavier's defense sucks, it really doesn't matter when the team you are guarding can't shoot worth a lick and plays at such a slow tempo. Maybe, just maybe, if UC can actually make open shots, then they will have a good chance.
That is a fair assessment. I am worried about X being able to play inside out. Stainbrook will open things up for their shooters. Jacob made a post earlier about who will be Xavier's player who has the game of his life. I am worried about Reynolds and/or Myles Davis. Davis can get hot from 3 and Reynolds size and athletic ability makes me nervous.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:03 AM   #28
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCalum08 View Post
That is a fair assessment. I am worried about X being able to play inside out. Stainbrook will open things up for their shooters. Jacob made a post earlier about who will be Xavier's player who has the game of his life. I am worried about Reynolds and/or Myles Davis. Davis can get hot from 3 and Reynolds size and athletic ability makes me nervous.
I think the Reynolds / Clark match up is huge in this game. Rebounding period is huge in this game.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:08 AM   #29
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
I think the Reynolds / Clark match up is huge in this game. Rebounding period is huge in this game.
For sure. Our rebounding has been really bad lately but it will be put to the test Wednesday. Reynolds/Clark matchup worries me because of the size difference. He is much bigger than Clark and will have a mental advantage over him too. UC is going to have to play with an urgency and aggressiveness we haven't seen yet.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:14 AM   #30
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
We may lose the game, I simply will never pick that, but let's be real. People are making it sound like X is a machine. This team has played better teams this season and won. I don't get all the blow out talk.
Closed Thread