Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-04-2017, 01:05 PM   #21
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Yeah that's all I'm saying. I expect him to start and be good. But it will take more than him swapping with Caupain to vault us into the Top 10. Need improvements from everyone else.
I'm just trying to figure out who exactly said we should be in the top ten to start the season. Only seeing people saying there is no way we should, making up arguments in their own. No one here has said that. We could move into the top ten throughout the season if we play well, but starsting there will not be the case.
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:15 PM   #22
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
I'm just trying to figure out who exactly said we should be in the top ten to start the season. Only seeing people saying there is no way we should, making up arguments in their own. No one here has said that. We could move into the top ten throughout the season if we play well, but starsting there will not be the case.
Read the second post on this thread
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:16 PM   #23
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I was pretty surprised to see us so low in the rankings. We lost two guys, that's it. From a team that was 11-19 pretty much all year long. We lost Troy who obviously was great at protecting the ball but he wasn't an elite scorer by any means and Kevin Hobson who was a great defender, but Cumberland offensive ability will make that a non issue. Another year of development for everyone on our team, just hard to say we are gonna regress and that's what ESPN did. I wouldn't say start us in the top ten but as was said before around 15 seems to be much more fitting.
Some have us around 15. Some put us lower. That's why I say it isn't a big deal. It's not ESPN as a whole. The article was probably done by one guy. Some people won't think that high of us. That's ok. If we start anywhere in the top 25 and win we will have plenty of chances to move up
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:17 PM   #24
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm not saying anyone put us in the Top 10. I'm just making a comment.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:44 PM   #25
ThomasMac

ThomasMac is on a distinguished road
The unfortunate thing about early season/pre-season rankings and their impact on our Cats is the unfavorable fact that's it's tough to move up in these rankings when we play in the AAC.

It seemed like every time we took a loss this past season we got hammered in the polls, but every time we won we seemed to get passed over for bigger conference foe.

So while I try not to get wrapped up in the Coaches or AP poll, I still get a little bent out of shape when I see they have us around 20-25 in these preseason polls.
ThomasMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:46 PM   #26
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
I'm trying to figure out who the heck is Kevin Hobson?
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:00 PM   #27
ZCat
Elite Member

ZCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by #BearcatNation View Post
Keep in mind that by November, Cane will have been practicing with the team for over a year. The team has been building chemistry with Cane the entire past season. It will certainly be different from Troy running the point, but I'm not too sure I'm worried about overall chemistry. I don't expect Williams, Moore, or Nsoseme to play much next year, so everyone on the court will have been together for a little while now.

Next year needs to be an eye-opening year for the national folks. Analysts, committee voters, recruits, etc. need to take notice. I'm talking Top 10. Like you said, Clark and Washington leaving after next year is a big worry. Evans may declare for the draft after next season, too. I think it's fair to think 2018-19 will be a bit of a rebuilding/reloading year. For that to go over smoothly, we've got to capitalize on next year, so that we're able to bring in solid recruits/transfers for 2018/2019, and continue momentum.
2 posts have already said in this thread that national folks take notice. I don't expect it. I love Jay bilas but after the national title game he complimented Gonzaga. But he also said I'm not sure if they'll ever make it back. Which is actually not really mean. Did Illinois make it back? It doesn't sound like National media are sold on them being consistent. We just need to take care of business and keep building. Hopefully the year after next will not be a rebuild as we expect. Jacob Evans might be still here as a fourth-year starter
ZCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:37 PM   #28
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCat View Post
2 posts have already said in this thread that national folks take notice. I don't expect it. I love Jay bilas but after the national title game he complimented Gonzaga. But he also said I'm not sure if they'll ever make it back. Which is actually not really mean. Did Illinois make it back? It doesn't sound like National media are sold on them being consistent. We just need to take care of business and keep building. Hopefully the year after next will not be a rebuild as we expect. Jacob Evans might be still here as a fourth-year starter
I agree with you about continuing to build. Can't miss on recruiting classes. I don't mind this coming class, seems like he is going for some role guys beside Williams. Which is fine if they can fill those roles but if they can't do anything like some players we have seen in the past, it could hurt the program
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:54 PM   #29
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
Read the second post on this thread
I did. You should too. It says top ten all time, not top ten next season and he is talking in terms of our basketball program not our current team.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:54 PM   #30
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMac View Post
The unfortunate thing about early season/pre-season rankings and their impact on our Cats is the unfavorable fact that's it's tough to move up in these rankings when we play in the AAC.

It seemed like every time we took a loss this past season we got hammered in the polls, but every time we won we seemed to get passed over for bigger conference foe.

So while I try not to get wrapped up in the Coaches or AP poll, I still get a little bent out of shape when I see they have us around 20-25 in these preseason polls.
Exactly. People say starting position doesn't matter but sure it does