Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-12-2010, 02:35 PM   #1
Bluecat

Bluecat is on a distinguished road
Lance ???

Just a question. Did the dominating performance Lance put on last night on a national stage put him back on the NBA radar for this years draft?

Yes, I know he's not ready and his overall year wasn't good enough, but the NBA does draft on potential at times and he is showing some real special gifts out there. WV has a potential NBA guy in Ebanks, and Lance made him look like a high schooler at times.

You can become a better shooter in the NBA with more practice time, but you can't teach the speed, quickness and instincts Lance has. He is the fastest guy on the floor, even with the ball.

I'm not predicting this, just putting it out there for discussion.
Bluecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:39 PM   #2
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
Good question. But his jumpshot needs work, as does his ballhandling skills. He scores, but he takes a lot of shots to get the numbers. His game is inconsistent, as he will disappear in one half, then dominate another. Another year or two would bring him some big money, but he's yet to earn it.
swg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:45 PM   #3
ready2go
Elite Member

ready2go is on a distinguished road
I think this is a valid argument or question.

It's not always about what the kid should do. A lot of people are telling him things right now. Agents, friends, family, and people like us. Each has an effect. Let's not forget, he is still a teen. Would it be dumb for him to enter the draft. IMO, Yes. But there are others out there influencing him one way or another.

Guys have entered the draft early and not even been drafted. It's all up to Lance. His maturity level will be tested.
ready2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:46 PM   #4
Thegreatone
Epic Member

Thegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura about
Another year would do him good. I could see him being around 20 ppg and 8 rebounds. Big East first team or POY. He is that good. His shot is not far off.
Thegreatone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:02 PM   #5
BamaCat

BamaCat is on a distinguished road
Did anyone notice that Jay Billis throughout the BET kept on saying that Lance had no "off the ball" skills?
BamaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:04 PM   #6
Not Guilty
Elite Member

Not Guilty is on a distinguished road
Before the Big East tournament, Lance was asked if he was definitely coming back next year. He said yes, definitely.
Not Guilty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:05 PM   #7
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
Yep, and he could say that about most of the Bearcats. Their offense needs a major overhaul, and it's not just the inability to put the ball in the hoop.
swg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:21 PM   #8
Bluecat

Bluecat is on a distinguished road
I will not argue that he needs more time to improve, clearly he does.

My question is more aimed at whether the NBA folks will see him as 1st round draftable based on what he WILL become and not on his numbers from this season. Because if he get word he will be drafted high, he IS gone as he should be.

I went back and looked at the number of "one and done-rs" that had so-so to good numbers and were drafted high and then became solid or very good NBA players, and the list was longer than I figured. But the one guy who jumped out at me as a comparison was Tyreke Evans. Yeah I know he was a MUCH better player than Lance in college, but he has similar skill sets, size and the prep coming into school. He averaged 14 pts during his only year at Memphis, 10 reb, and 8 ast..

Now I'm not saying he is a perfect match and equal player, but I am saying I think the NBA guys might see a lot of Lance in Ty's game (or whoever). And since he will probably be the NBA rook of the year, that may weight heavy on some minds. If it takes two years for a player to become a Tyreke Evans, he is worth drafting now, when you can.

Also, if he declares, he will have lots of individual workouts where he will shine.

Again, just point to discuss, but these thoughts came to me while watching him be the best player on the court last night.
Bluecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:35 PM   #9
CoolCat

CoolCat is on a distinguished road
Lance is a risk. Scouts cant tell if he can really shot or not. Wait a year and I guess he'll make tons mo money.
CoolCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:45 PM   #10
lumberjack

lumberjack has a spectacular aura aboutlumberjack has a spectacular aura about
He can declare if he wants to but won't be drafted. He needs to improve in all areas but is a shooting guard in the NBA. He can't shoot!