Old 10-24-2017, 08:49 PM   #11
RedlegZdid
Banned

RedlegZdid is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Latest installment of the journey videos: Kyle Washington

https://youtu.be/mwX68oDjlHw
I love this series! I wish the media in the city would promote the Bearcats like this. Sadly there has been like only one article about UCBB in the last few months on cincinnati.com. However, there was an article today previewing Xavier, another about huggs tuxedo, and one about Sean Miller going to the NBA.

You'd think with how bad the Bengals and reds are, the paper would be full of spotlights, interviews, previews and predictions for the Bearcats season but mum is the word.
RedlegZdid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:33 AM   #12
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Our three returning starters are not only our leading 3 returning scorers but it would be hard to find 3 more likable guys. They work hard, are coach-able, and they are not prima donnas. They represent the university very well and our younger guys can learn a thing or two from them both on and off the court. We have a combination of lead by example guys and an emotional leader. I think we are in pretty good hands. If they talk a lot on the court and keep the rest of the team focused...it should be a pretty smooth ride.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 03:01 PM   #13
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
@GoBearcatsMBB
"He's got that ability and he's closing in on that point."

The Journey: Turning The Corner

#Bearcats https://t.co/REeUofPa4Q
That play at Temple is insane. Comes from the block, tips it at the FT line, picks it up in front of half court, 1 dribble, glides in and throws it through. Pretty much everyone else still behind half court just watching. Just a ridiculous play.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:23 PM   #14
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

From Chad's YouTube channel:

https://youtu.be/hymIumeFxQE

https://youtu.be/aTYmFJ-YxXQ

Last edited by jacobkdoyle; 10-25-2017 at 07:26 PM.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:41 PM   #15
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Dan Hoard with Cane Broome
Old 10-26-2017, 07:40 PM   #16
ThomasMac

ThomasMac is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
From Chad's YouTube channel:

https://youtu.be/hymIumeFxQE
Every time Cronin is asked about Cane Broome, he always feels the need to discuss Justin Jenifer and makes sure we (the fans, media, etc) don't forget him and that Justin will be a big part of this teams success.

But I'll be honest, if Justin gets anywhere the minutes that we are all thinking Cane should get, then I don't think we are going to have very good point guard play this year. I think Justin is a huge drop off from Troy and if Cane can't come in and take over at the PG spot, then either Justin got a ton better... or Cane isn't that good. Man, I hope Justin got a ton better... because our hopes were/are high on Cane.

Cronin went from comparing Cane to Nick Van Exel, to now saying "Hey, don't forget about Justin Jenifer". Maybe Cronin just made the comparison because they are both quick and left handed. Maybe Mick is just trying to support Justin and Cane at the same time by taking some pressure off of Cane and boasting about the progress Justin has made this off season.

Either way, I'm excited to see how things shake out this year!
ThomasMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:36 PM   #17
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMac View Post
Every time Cronin is asked about Cane Broome, he always feels the need to discuss Justin Jenifer and makes sure we (the fans, media, etc) don't forget him and that Justin will be a big part of this teams success.

But I'll be honest, if Justin gets anywhere the minutes that we are all thinking Cane should get, then I don't think we are going to have very good point guard play this year. I think Justin is a huge drop off from Troy and if Cane can't come in and take over at the PG spot, then either Justin got a ton better... or Cane isn't that good. Man, I hope Justin got a ton better... because our hopes were/are high on Cane.

Cronin went from comparing Cane to Nick Van Exel, to now saying "Hey, don't forget about Justin Jenifer". Maybe Cronin just made the comparison because they are both quick and left handed. Maybe Mick is just trying to support Justin and Cane at the same time by taking some pressure off of Cane and boasting about the progress Justin has made this off season.

Either way, I'm excited to see how things shake out this year!
I think Cronin is seeing how hard Justin Jenifer is playing and he knows players listen to his comments. If flat out praises Cane and gives Cane the starting spot before even a game is played, then its pretty defeating to Jenifer.

I personally think Jenifer can be the kind of PG this particular team needs. He is a guy who doesn't need to take shots and He wont need to with our 4 other starters. I mean for all we know chemistry might be better with Jenifer running the show not Cane. Cronin is making this an open competition and its exactly what a good coach would do and say. I mean think about it how hard Jenifer has worked. The dude was asked to cut down on his TO and then following year he goes out and puts up a 4 to 1 TO ratio. Competition is good. And while I think Cane will be just fine, the reality is that we don't know how he is going to handle playing in front 9k people every night and having a capable guy like Jenifer to back him up is huge. Its a win win IMO

Mick has said already this year that there is no set lineup and the guys he starts will be situational. I think that basically means the PG and C spot are fluid.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:42 PM   #18
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

I think Jenifer could be as valuable as anyone on the team. And it has to do with our young guys on the second unit. None of them have the experience of Jenifer. Scott is in his 3rd year in the program too, so that's the closest thing. There are 6 guys other than Jenifer on the bench who are still needing to learn the true way to play Bearcat basketball. In the bigger games, we'll have a shorter rotation, and whoever comes in off the bench will have the benefit of playing with a few veteran starters. But all throughout our schedule are games where we could easily win by 20+. These games will be big for player development. In the 2nd half of these games, we'll want to rest up our starters, and get the young guys minutes. But we don't want it to be a huge dropoff when the starters go out. We want the second unit to be ready to contribute. And that's where Jenifer comes in to hold this group accountable. To lead that group. It's perfect that Jenifer also happens to be a PG. He will need to be in an active role. I could see him having games with 8 pts 5 ast 2 stl 1 to, but also more importantly, getting the young guys in the right spots and integrated into the expectations for Bearcat level of play. I know that could benefit a guy like Diarra especially.

Cronin mentioned Jenifer accepting a backseat role too easily. I wonder if he was a little burned out. I know he was a big prospect early on in his HS career and he was asked to do a lot for his teams back then. It's a tough transition to sit behind an upperclassman for 2 years, who plays a way different game than you. I know Chad has said that Jenifer has sort of come alive over these last couple months. Hopefully he has a bit of a renewed passion and sees that he can play a big role on a Top 15 team for the second half of his college career. Good things can be ahead for him. And you have to applaud him for hanging in there, We have mature players, good culture, and good leadership. At a program that doesn't have these qualities, Jenifer gets lost in the shuffle and quietly transfers out. But it's good to see that he isn't going down here without a fight.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:41 AM   #19
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
I think Cronin is seeing how hard Justin Jenifer is playing and he knows players listen to his comments. If flat out praises Cane and gives Cane the starting spot before even a game is played, then its pretty defeating to Jenifer.

I personally think Jenifer can be the kind of PG this particular team needs. He is a guy who doesn't need to take shots and He wont need to with our 4 other starters. I mean for all we know chemistry might be better with Jenifer running the show not Cane. Cronin is making this an open competition and its exactly what a good coach would do and say. I mean think about it how hard Jenifer has worked. The dude was asked to cut down on his TO and then following year he goes out and puts up a 4 to 1 TO ratio. Competition is good. And while I think Cane will be just fine, the reality is that we don't know how he is going to handle playing in front 9k people every night and having a capable guy like Jenifer to back him up is huge. Its a win win IMO

Mick has said already this year that there is no set lineup and the guys he starts will be situational. I think that basically means the PG and C spot are fluid.
There is no question it's a good move by Cronin to make sure Jenifer is not just swept under the rug. He's a serviceable PG now and only getting better. You have to keep everyone optimistic and working hard thinking they have the ability to change their depth chart position.

I think ultimately Cane will win the job outright but it may not happen right away. Cane is likely to go through some turnover issues and Cronin will use Jenifer to curtail that. Jenifer will start at least a game or two this year I am guessing. If Jenifer is working harder in practice and Cane is dogging it...same thing. If Cane comes in and plays selfish instead of team ball...same thing. The bench is a powerful teaching tool and Cronin is not afraid to use it...especially since he can afford to with so many scoring options out there this year.

Jenifer will have his chances but I think Cane's talent will win in the end.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 08:01 AM   #20
ThomasMac

ThomasMac is on a distinguished road
After all the rumors going around last night and this morning, we are going to need our bench more than ever.
ThomasMac is offline   Reply With Quote