Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 11-15-2017, 01:23 PM   #1101
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Brooks hurt his knee.
he did have 3 dnp's but that was the first week of feb.

last year we went to a 6 man rotation, does nobody remember that? it was rare for a 7th to get 10+. the 6 were getting 25+ every night.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:29 PM   #1102
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
last year we had a 6 man, but im not talking about us. im talking about college ball in general.

college kids can play 30 minutes a game without a problem. you aren't gonna sit your better players just to give others PT. the best player dominate the minutes.
I would never get someone in there just to get them playing time in a big game. Either they offer us something useful or they are a liability. They can offer defense, rebounding, fresh legs, etc. When your tired starters are still better than a fresh bench...then the choice is simple. When your bench is getting better and you want to push pace or press...the choice becomes a little harder. When does fatigue become a liability? When your bench can make more plays because they aren't winded. Offense or defense.

Even if the starters play 30 minutes that leaves 50 minutes open. That's enough to get 8 guys 15 minutes or 9 guys 12 minutes.

Last edited by waterhead; 11-15-2017 at 03:36 PM.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:34 PM   #1103
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
he did have 3 dnp's but that was the first week of feb.

last year we went to a 6 man rotation, does nobody remember that? it was rare for a 7th to get 10+. the 6 were getting 25+ every night.
I remember...but we played like a snail. There was enough time to catch a breath. It was a non issue. We walked it up the court and often times spent the next 5 seconds getting set up after crossing half court.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:46 PM   #1104
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I remember...but we played like a snail. There was enough time to catch a breath. It was a non issue. We walked it up the court and often times spent the next 5 seconds getting set up after crossing half court.
And let's look at the starting 5 vs the bench. Yes, last year we had Cumberland who obviously got the 6th man minutes. After that we had a second year Jenifer playing behind a 4th year Caupain. We had Quadri. We had a first year Brooks and a first year playing Scott. There was a clear line of talent.

Our frosh this year look much better. Tre, Nysier, and Justin are a year older. Nysier is said to be MIP. Trevor can knock down shots. Keith can get to the bucket. Jenifer is getting better. Tre is becoming a very good defender and passer. The drop off isn't as noticeable...we can use these guys a little more.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:26 AM   #1105
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
So now we are questioning our depth? Lol.. watch these kids play and tell me they're not better then previous benchs
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:33 AM   #1106
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
So now we are questioning our depth? Lol.. watch these kids play and tell me they're not better then previous benchs
its not questioning our depth, its pointing out that the vast majority of teams attempt to get down to a solid 7 man rotation going into march.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:25 PM   #1107
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
its not questioning our depth, its pointing out that the vast majority of teams attempt to get down to a solid 7 man rotation going into march.
I think you are probably right. In March you have to be able to trust every player you put in the game and usually there just aren't that many players you can trust that much. So the rotation gets down to 6-7...maybe 8 at most.

Cronin has to know they will be in the right place, take care of the ball, take smart shots, and not shrink in the moment. I'm not sure if we will be 10 deep in that regard. I hope we can be at least 7 deep if not 8.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:29 PM   #1108
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I think you are probably right. In March you have to be able to trust every player you put in the game and usually there just aren't that many players you can trust that much. So the rotation gets down to 6-7...maybe 8 at most.

Cronin has to know they will be in the right place, take care of the ball, take smart shots, and not shrink in the moment. I'm not sure if we will be 10 deep in that regard. I hope we can be at least 7 deep if not 8.
Jenifer and Brooks are for sure going to play every game and be rotation guys. Clark can't play 40 minutes, so Scott or Williams will at least have to play there. We likely won't go small like that though. So Scott. And Williams can back up the 2 and 3. I don't see us playing less than 9 in any game.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:31 PM   #1109
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Jenifer and Brooks are for sure going to play every game and be rotation guys. Clark can't play 40 minutes, so Scott or Williams will at least have to play there. We likely won't go small like that though. So Scott. And Williams can back up the 2 and 3. I don't see us playing less than 9 in any game.
I don't see why Moore wouldn't at least get a short look in the 1st half of big games to see if he can get a couple 3s down.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:45 PM   #1110
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Not allowed to question/ talk about anything on here except for how great the team is, according to that guy.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote