Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 08-20-2018, 09:37 AM   #181
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
If I had to re-guess minutes after seeing them play this off seaso, I'd go something like this:

Cumberland: 32 (+3)
Broome: 28 (+7)
Scott: 25 (+12)
Fredericks: 25 (N/A)
Williams: 23 (+13)
Moore: 18 (+6)
Jenifer: 18 (-2)
Diarra:12 (+5)
Brooks: 15 (+6)
Nsesome: 15 (+9)
Johnson: 13 (N/A)
Harnett: RedShirt

I'd probably change my mind on this if I re-did it tomorrow. Scott and Williams will be taking on the biggest workload from last year. Trevon and Nas both going to have to adjust to life with more minutes and preserving their fouls
The only problem I see with this is that it adds up to 224 mpg. There are only 200 minutes to go around.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:45 PM   #182
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
The only problem I see with this is that it adds up to 224 mpg. There are only 200 minutes to go around.
oops.

Yea I forgot to add fredericks when i first did the list and then forgot to substract his minutes when I finished.

Here is a revised list:
Cumberland: 32
Broome: 26
Scott: 22
Fredericks: 21
Williams: 20
Moore: 15
Jenifer: 15
Diarra:12
Brooks: 12
Nsesome: 15
Johnson: 10

Damn. Cronin has his work cut out for him on how to play all these guys and keep them happy. They legit have 11 guys who can get on the court and play, and yet, to get them all playing time, its going to be tough.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:17 PM   #183
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
oops.

Yea I forgot to add fredericks when i first did the list and then forgot to substract his minutes when I finished.

Here is a revised list:

Damn. Cronin has his work cut out for him on how to play all these guys and keep them happy. They legit have 11 guys who can get on the court and play, and yet, to get them all playing time, its going to be tough.
That looks pretty close to how I see it right now
Old 08-20-2018, 03:17 PM   #184
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
oops.

Here is a revised list:

Here was my crack at it a couple of pages back. Other than Scott it's pretty close to yours.

Cumberland...31
Broome...27.5
Scott...27.5
Williams 20
Fredericks 20
Moore...15
Jenifer...15
Brooks...12
Ellie...12
Diara...10
Johnson...10
Old 08-21-2018, 08:57 AM   #185
waterhead
Senior Moderator

As we all know by now Cronin is going to demand effort and to limit mistakes as his two calling cards. Effort on D, deflections, rebounding, loose balls, etc. Limiting turnovers, blown assignments, ill advised shots, etc. He will not keep players on the floor long who are not doing these things reasonably well no matter how much offense they bring.

The problem IMO is the guys who are the keys to our offensive success this year (outside of Cumberland) are either a frosh in Johnson or players who have struggled in one or more of the above areas. Broome, Williams, Diara. If these guys can please the coach on the controllable aspects of the game we are going to be in very good shape. Even if we can get two of them to work out would give us a decent chance on offense. All of these guys COULD be an upgrade to their competition for minutes. We can't have Cumberland out there by himself as the only player looking to score. Even one more guy to help will not be enough IMO. I think we need 3 scoring threats to keep defenses honest enough for us to be good.

Other than Johnson they have to know by now how to stay on the court. Cronin is not going to change his priorities. It's up to the players to buy in if they want more minutes. All of them are physically capable of being very good defenders and giving effort. So it comes down to the mental aspect or attitude. Will they give max effort? Are they capable of keeping track of assignments in a fast pace? Can they slow it down a little to limit mistakes?

The answers to these questions will determine the level of our success. It could be the difference between 3 or 4 losses which could determine if we are on the bubble or a team that can top out as maybe even a 5 or 6 seed. Whether we compete for an AAC title or perhaps finish 3rd or 4th.

We aren't going to reach our potential with a lineup of Jenifer, Brooks, Moore, Cumberland, and Scott. That is, at best, a bubble team (if that). We need two more aggressive scorers out there to take pressure off Cumberland and keep up with better teams. I like what Fredericks brings but I don't think he's going to pressure too many defenses like Broome or Williams might. Moore is a threat outside but that's about it. Jenifer has gone into full on safety mode to preserve his minutes. Perhaps Johnson can figure out the right ratio of aggression and ball control. Diara is the only big who can stretch the floor. Broome can score from all 3 levels so he just needs to do more of what coach wants in other aspects.

My money is on Broome and Williams and I would be fine with that. Johnson is a frosh and Diara is too much of an unkown. I hope both Johnson and Diara are ready for more minutes too but who knows.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:13 PM   #186
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Ive seen a ton of talk about Diara but he had such a long way to go just to get into games. If he can give us real minutes this year it will have been the greatest progression from 1st season to 2nd season of anybody we've had I think.

I get the hype around his potential but it was probably at least 3 years out.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:45 PM   #187
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
Ive seen a ton of talk about Diara but he had such a long way to go just to get into games. If he can give us real minutes this year it will have been the greatest progression from 1st season to 2nd season of anybody we've had I think.

Agreed. Other than Hardnett I still have him near the bottom of the pecking order. Last year there was a lot of talk about Brooks around this time...but that didn't really pan out.

If Cronin has a top 5 list of playing time I would guess scoring is #5 so these guys know what they need to do (or not do) to get on the floor longer. From a fan perspective offensively I just hope guys like Broome, Williams, and Diara can do more of those top 4 things Cronin demands.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:05 PM   #188
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:

I agree for the most part. I don't think he's a complete project to where you hope he can get it together by his senior year, but I also didn't see much in an all-around game to where he's ready to push for minutes.
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:30 AM   #189
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:

I've heard a couple of rumors too...that he has improved. I wonder if anyone can speak to specific improvements he has made vs a general sense of being better. I think we all know the type of things he has to do to get on the court and low on that list is shooting 3's.

He's going to have to defend at a pretty high level considering Scott is ahead of him. He's going to have to know his assignments and make good decisions with the ball. Sure, Cronin could put him in for a scoring bump here and there but it won't last long if he's not doing the other things very well.

With the amount of players who can earn minutes out there...it's going to come down to who understands Cronin's pet peeves the best and is willing to buy into them. I think a guy like Ellie could buy in a lot faster since he was not brought here to score the ball. Moore bought in moreso than Williams did last year. Jenifer bought in over Broome. Scott has already bought in. Fredericks seems like a guy who fits the Cronin mold. Cumberland just has a natural ability to do most of these things very well in addition to scoring.

Talent and scoring can earn you some minutes but if you want to be approaching 25+ mpg you are going to have to buy in wholesale to the system. That system can probably be physically and mentally exhausting so it's not for everyone. Some of them may not have the same work ethic as others and some may not have the mental capacity of others to execute assignments without mistakes at a fast pace.

Last edited by waterhead; 08-22-2018 at 10:33 AM.