Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2010, 06:40 AM   #21
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
PRACTICE BREAK: With two of the allotted 15 spring practice sessions completed, UC will take a break and resume practice on March 30, with the spring game scheduled for April 24.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...returns+to+WR+
swg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:45 PM   #22
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
Info on the spring game

On April 24th, Cincinnati Football will host the BEARCAT BOWL IV Spring Football Game at Nippert Stadium - a game that will be televised nationally on FOX Sports Ohio at 7 p.m. for every college football fan and recruit to see.

Cincinnati Football and I need you to take that next step with us - and to be on campus on that day to support our student-athletes and your football program. We need you in Nippert Stadium that day to represent this University in the best way possible.

The day promises to be an exciting one for all Bearcats fans. Some of the details you'll need:

•WHO: You, your friends and Cincinnati Football-Admission is FREE!
•WHAT: The 15th and final spring workout for your back to back BIG EAST Champions who return 13 starters and have added several new faces along with many more activities.
•WHERE: The cozy confines of historic Nippert Stadium
•WHEN: Saturday, April 24th at 7 p.m.
•WHY: Bring your family and friends, because your participation, energy and enthusiasm will make a huge impact on a national audience, and will help build the future success of our football program.
Activities are being planned for Bearcats Fans of all ages and for all UC Students. Check GoBEARCATS.com often for updates between now and April 24th on all the day's events including:

•A youth football clinic at 3 p.m. (registration at 2:30).

•CATTITUDE begins on Sheakley Lawn beginning at 5 p.m.
•Complimentary 2010 Allstate Sugar Bowl Posters to the first 5,000 fans
•Pregame autograph session with the players and head coach Butch Jones

•Game day and tailgating food offerings

•Games, football and cheerleading drills for all young Bearcats fans

•The 2009 Capital One Mascot Challenge Champion BEARCAT and his little sister LUCY from the Cincinnati Zoo, plus face painting, football toss, Bearcats climber and more

http://www.gobearcats.com/sports/m-f...032310aaa.html
Old 03-23-2010, 01:13 PM   #23
swg
Epic Member

Here is the link for all updates on the UC spring game.

http://www.gobearcats.com/sports/m-f...rcatbowl4.html
Old 03-26-2010, 10:43 AM   #24
swg
Epic Member

Bearcats Pace Quickens

The first practice of the Butch Jones era was scheduled to end around 11 a.m. on Wednesday. However, some time near the top of the hour, Coach Jones called his Bearcats in and was shouting, "Do it! Do it right! Blow the horn!"

With that, football staffer Andy Frigge squeezed out a couple more "toots" and the Bearcats went back to work for another 45 minutes. It's all about making an impression.

Butch Jones scheduled two of his allotted 15 practices prior to spring break, something that hasn't been done recently that I recall. When they return March 30th, the expectation is they'll understand what Jones and the staff wants and will be ready to roll (assuming they don't roll in with extra poundage over spring break).

As I walked down the steps of Nippert on morning #1, my first impression was EVERYONE was running around the field. Brian Kelly picked up the pace of things after Mark Dantonio, now it looks like Butch Jones is showing his youthful exuberance by moving around his "gridiron chess pieces" at a frenzied, "Red Bull" pace.

Much like his predecessor, Jones believes in speed.

"It's everything," said Jones. "From our managers learning how to spot the ball-our managers become just as important as anyone else because of the tempo. It's a whole learning process."

In the end, it was a longer, faster practice probably meant to send a message out to support staff and players.

"I told our ball boys they will be the best in shape of all the student body," said Jones. "We expect a lot, but they do a great job. Everyone-our coaches, support staff, our trainers, everyone's been first class."

Most of the players agreed that Wednesday's pace was a little brisk. However, given the success of Kelly and Jones at this game, it's not like it's going to slow down anytime soon.

"I think it was a little faster," said Armon Binns. "There was a little more energy. We moved around a lot. A lot of different places, a lot was going on at the same time."

"The intensity's a lot higher with everything we're doing," added Zach Collaros. "Even Coach Jones is running around here chest bumping people at the beginning of practice and stuff. We go a little bit longer. The receivers, when they catch a ball, everybody's got to get to the ball-the other receivers-to get a block downfield. It's just real high intensity."

http://www.bearcatlair.com/home-news...ns-under-jones
Old 03-26-2010, 03:08 PM   #25
swg
Epic Member

Building depth:
New coach Butch Jones said this is the biggest key for the spring. The Bearcats have a lot of top-flight players with starting experience back, like Zach Collaros, Armon Binns, Isaiah Pead and JK Schaffer. But there's a lot of youth and inexperience in potential backup roles, especially at positions like offensive line, linebacker and receiver. All slates are clean with the new coaching staff, and the spring will be a time when new names can emerge in key roles.

Defensive line retooling:
Jones will switch back to the 4-3 after a year in the 3-4 scheme. Both starting defensive ends from last year are gone, but the smallish line was overpowered at times near the end of the season anyway. Derek Wolfe should be a fixture inside, Dan Giordano, Brandon Mills and John Hughes step into more prominent roles. Jones will have to decide whether to make Walter Stewart a defensive end or keep him at outside linebacker. The Bearcats could use a little more strength and bulk up front against the bigger Big East offensive lines.

Vidal's arrival:
USC transfer Vidal Hazelton is eligible after sitting out last year. He reputedly dominated practices last season, and now he'll get to go full time with the first string. A lot of people will be watching closely to see how he and Collaros connect during the spring. A big year by Hazelton will lessen the loss of star wideout Mardy Gilyard and could keep Cincinnati as the Big East's best offense.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post...st-this-spring
Old 03-27-2010, 02:02 PM   #26
swg
Epic Member

INSIDE SLANT
With almost an entirely new coaching staff and system under first-year head coach Butch Jones, spring practice at Nippert Stadium took on some added importance this year for Cincinnati.
"It's critical," said Jones. "Everything is a teaching opportunity. It's a learning experience every time you step on the field. They learned about us as people in a very short amount of time. Now they're learning about us as coaches, our demands and expectations."

Jones was hired as Bearcats head coach after Brian Kelly departed for Notre Dame. He inherits a team that returns a wealth of talent from last year's squad which won a second consecutive Big East Conference championship and reached the Sugar Bowl.

Cincinnati will conduct 15 spring practices leading up to the annual Bearcat Bowl IV on April 24. While the players are off campus for spring break beginning March 22, Jones and his staff planned to evaluate film and players' performance in practice.

"We just need to make sure we have the right people in the right places and positions," Jones said. "It's been a great opportunity to get everything on film and evaluate where we're at."

Jones raised some eyebrows early in camp when he declared all positions up for grabs, even starting quarterback, which everyone expects to be Zach Collaros' job to lose. Jones has stressed that every individual on the team begin building his own identity.

"We use a phrase 'Today matters'," he said. "Yesterday is gone. You don't know if you're going to have tomorrow. You have to make the most of each and every day."

NOTES, QUOTES
SPRING OBJECTIVES: First and foremost, this spring is an introductory period for first-year head coach Butch Jones and his staff, who'll work with the Bearcats on the field for the first time. With loads of experience on both sides of the ball, there aren't many position battles of note. Although Jones insists that he's evaluating every position equally at the start. Among the positions open are kick returner and slot receiver. Jones' defensive staff is also working to transition the Bearcats back to a 4-3 scheme after playing a base 3-4 set during the 2009 season.
BUILDING BLOCKS: Jones inherits a lot of talent, particularly offensively. Zach Collaros, who passed for more than 1,400 yards in 12 games including three starts, likely will be the starter. There is depth at wide receiver with Armon Binns, D.J. Woods and newcomer Vidal Hazelton, who sat out last season after transferring from USC. Still, Jones will be quick to put his stamp on this team. He will feature the running game more than Brian Kelly did, particularly with the lead late in games. Returning leading rusher Isaiah Pead could have an expanded role.

QUOTE TO NOTE: "Everyone has bought in. Our players have been tremendous. We've asked a lot of them in a very short amount of time. We're building trust. Trust is built over time. I like everything I've seen so far." -- Cincinnati head coach Butch Jones on his first impressions of his new team in spring practice.

STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL
2010 OUTLOOK: First-year head coach Butch Jones inherits a team loaded with talent. Zach Collaros, who passed for more than 1,400 yards in 12 games including three starts, likely will be the starter at quarterback. Collaros will have plenty of weapons in running back Isaiah Pead and wide receivers Armon Binns, D.J. Woods and newcomer Vidal Hazelton, who sat out last season after transferring from USC. Defensively, the Bearcats hope to be much improved with five starters and several regular contributors returning.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/team/ci...amreport/86142
Old 03-30-2010, 11:23 AM   #27
swg
Epic Member

BE Blogger Bennett coming to Cincy

I'm making the familiar drive up I-71 to Cincinnati to check out the two-time defending Big East champions get after it in their third practice of the spring. Blogging will be a little light while I'm there, but I'll be back later with thoughts and observations from Nippert Stadium.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post...nnati-bengals2
Old 03-30-2010, 01:06 PM   #28
daap_bearcat97

daap_bearcat97 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by swg View Post
I'm making the familiar drive up I-71 to Cincinnati to check out the two-time defending Big East champions get after it in their third practice of the spring. Blogging will be a little light while I'm there, but I'll be back later with thoughts and observations from Nippert Stadium.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post...nnati-bengals2
Can't wait to hear his thoughts from today...looks like Kenbrell was at practice?!?

Has anyone seen or heard anything about Monte Taylor (DE)? How about Josh Jones...is he going to be with the team at WR or will he find a new position?

Thanks for keeping us updated!

Go Cats!

Last edited by daap_bearcat97; 03-30-2010 at 01:08 PM.
daap_bearcat97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:06 PM   #29
UCBearcat4ever

UCBearcat4ever is on a distinguished road
Thompkins is enrolled, practiced with UC today for the 1st time.

CINCINNATI -- After a week off for spring break, Cincinnati returned to the practice field on Tuesday. And they had a new teammate.

Receiver Kenbrell Thompkins, a junior college transfer who joined the Bearcats last week, went through his first practice with his new team. Thompkins wore a yellow jersey and did not go in pads because of NCAA rules. But head coach Butch Jones said he had been cleared to practice.

"I'm very excited about KT," Jones said. "I think he'll add another dimension."

Thompkins signed with Tennessee but was granted his release when Lane Kiffin left for USC. He was being pursued by some of the top programs in the country, including Alabama, Cal and UCLA.

"I view us as one of the biggest programs in the country as well," Jones said. "That's what we're working toward. We want to be on the same stages as those others. That's our mentality, and we'll continue to recruit that way."

Thompkins is listed at 6-foot-3 and 190 pounds. Though he didn't seem that tall to me, he's definitely put together well.

"He looked good out there today," quarterback Zach Collaros said.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post...-with-bearcats
UCBearcat4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:34 PM   #30
swg
Epic Member

I'm dying for news on the defense. Hoping to get some of our undercover operatives down there for the spring game.