Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2021, 09:50 AM   #51
MDW79

MDW79 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
Lol okay, the landscape of college basketball is far different than it was 20/30 years ago, people can't let go of the Huggins era that gave us ONE final 4 and ONE elite 8 and then for the next 12 years Huggins spent his time getting high level guys who also got bounced in the first weekend of the tournament. High rankings doesn't always equate to success especially in the era of the transfer portal. UC doesn't have the mystique is once had when we were the bad boys wearing Jordan and we will never be that again, we are a high mid major in the American Conference. Wes has been the coach for what a month? and he brought with him familiar faces to help build the program that literally had 4 guys on the team and then added a solid big who can help smooth the transition for bigger recruits in the coming classes. Huggins came from Akron and took years before he built the prestige to land high ranked guys. Miller has been here 30 days and you expect him to pull a top 25 class. Unreal
1.) Not a boomer (my dad is though) but I'm also not a 14 year old who replies "Ok boomer" either.

2.) I don't expect a top 25 class in year 1. I said we used to get excited for players that may exist in those classes. Now we're excited about UNCG transfers, Ody Aguama and Quinn Slazinski.

3.) if you think this team is shaping up to being even remotely decent next year then more power to you. I see a .500 team. I'm not going to pretend any of this impressive.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:51 AM   #52
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDW79 View Post
Couldn't you say this for any team that lands "studs"? That the role players and younger guys may not want to stay on board for depth? Why is this unique to us?

You say we're still going to land one but I find that highly unlikely. I really hope you're right though.
I didn't say STAY on board. I said COME on board.

You should fill the roster depth first and then add the studs at the end. Not the other way around. The stud ain't worried about beating out the roster for their spot and the young developmental guys commit because they don't see a stud at their positions already.

It doesn't always work out this way but in the portal era you can make it work out this way more often than not. I am telling you our best recruit is still to come 90% sure of that. And hopefully two of them.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:58 AM   #53
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
1.) Not a boomer (my dad is though) but I'm also not a 14 year old who replies "Ok boomer" either.

2.) I don't expect a top 25 class in year 1. I said we used to get excited for players that may exist in those classes. Now we're excited about UNCG transfers, Ody Aguama and Quinn Slazinski.

3.) if you think this team is shaping up to being even remotely decent next year then more power to you. I see a .500 team. I'm not going to pretend any of this impressive.
Its impressive for a guy who has been on the job 30 days and inherited a team whos previous coach was a psycho and only had 4 guys remaining on scholarship. I never said they were going to be good, I said it takes time, just like it took time for Huggins, Wes is laying the groundwork needed to get to the next level of talent in the coming years.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:03 AM   #54
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:

The only guys I am excited about now are Newman and Oguama. Because they are starter quality but not good enough that we can't still recruit over them and still get them plenty of minutes. Hensley and McGinnis can either wait their turn or even better prove they are good enough to play right away. I am not worried about any of our returnees being good enough to earn minutes. They have already shown that.

I also don't mind if Koval ends up as 3rd option if we happen to land another big. Wes has done the dirty work of getting role players and bench depth and developmental youth. Now is the time to add the home runs.
Old 05-13-2021, 10:08 AM   #55
MDW79

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
Wes is laying the groundwork needed to get to the next level of talent in the coming years.
Yeah, I don't see it. I see him laying the groundwork for a team that falls well outside of the top 50 for 2022 and 2023 as well.

Most of these guys he brought in are going to be here for 2+ years. And if you took all 5 of these guys and moved them to a recuiting class for a Furman or an Elon then that would look about right. He just added 5 guys that would be typical of a Southern Conference team. (Which makes sense because that's where 4 of the 5 of the came from)

I would love to hold out hope that he'll really start recruiting next year but seeing that he can't even recruit outside of the state of North Carolina I'm not going to hold my breath.
Old 05-13-2021, 10:12 AM   #56
MDW79

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
The only guys I am excited about now are Newman and Oguama. Because they are starter quality but not good enough that we can't still recruit over them and still get them plenty of minutes. .

Not starter quality for a shitty Wake Forest or a shitty Clemson in 2021 though.

This is exactly my point. We've sunken so low that we have to pretend to be excited for bench players from teams that aren't even tournament quality. Although I guess in comparison to a guy like Koval or McGinnis they look like McDAA's.
Old 05-13-2021, 10:22 AM   #57
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It amazes me such how far this program as fallen. And not just under Miller, or Brannen.

We used to actually want legitimate big time players to come here. I'm not talking about us being Duke or Carolina, or UK. But still a team pulling some top 25 classes and landing high major players.

Now our fans are calling for Quinn Slazinski, who averaged 6 and 3 for for a UL team that didn't even make the tournament.

We're excited about Ody Aguama who played for a terrible Wake Forest team as their 6th or 7th guy.

We talking about a UNCG transfer because he snuck onto the top 150 on ONE recruiting service that no one can seem to figure out why.

This program is MILES from being anywhere close to a top 25 program. Like not even close. And everyone seems to think we're doing just great. It's like we've turned into Xavier from the 80's or early 90's.

Sorry for the rant, this isn't really just directed at you. I just can't believe people are calling for someone like Slazinski. Our brand new coach has failed to land one legitimate starter form the biggest transfer portal ever and we can't even set our sites higher than this turd for the final spot.

It's depressing. The UC basketball that I knew and loved for 30 years appears to be completely dead.
25 years of never winning in March will drag a program down. Everyone likes to say, “its’random”, blah blah. If that was the case, we would have randomly made a run. The tournament is the biggest thing in college basketball, have to win in it. If not, no one cares about your program
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:27 AM   #58
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Not starter quality for a shitty Wake Forest or a shitty Clemson in 2021 though.

This is exactly my point. We've sunken so low that we have to pretend to be excited for bench players from teams that aren't even tournament quality. Although I guess in comparison to a guy like Koval or McGinnis they look like McDAA's.
I am sure you are well aware of Newman playing through injury last year. Have you seen his soph tape? When he started and played 80% of the minutes?

Oguama has the toughness and rebounding we needed in our system.

Let's not pretend there are parades in the streets here. It's a good get and there were other big programs after him.
Old 05-13-2021, 10:41 AM   #59
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I am sure you are well aware of Newman playing through injury last year. Have you seen his soph tape? When he started and played 80% of the minutes?

Let's not pretend there are parades in the streets here. It's a good get and there were other big programs after him.
Its only what fits the narrative though. If Kansas or Arkansas gets Ody over UC he complains Wes Miller can't recruit, but since he choose UC over them he obviously isn't good.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:43 AM   #60
MDW79

Quote:

I am aware of his injury, yes. And I did watch a couple highlight vids.

I'm also aware that for whatever reason he decided to transfer from Clemson to UNCG. This doesn't suggest to me that him being slowed down by injury is the only reason he didn't play as much in 2020. It leads me to believe he knew he wasn't going to get the minutes he wanted there in 2021, and he didn't have a lot of high level suitors.

If he was that good, and it was just an injury that caused his play to drop, then why commit to UNCG? Why transfer from Clemson at all?