Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 11-24-2021, 04:31 PM   #41
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMick View Post
Im cool on Newman and MAW, guarantee if Mason or Hensley was in game we would've won.
Yah I'm not getting down on players after bad games. They will have good and bad. I am ready for Hensley to start getting some action to see what he can add. As long as we are using a big rotation why not? He's got the tools for sure but seems like he might be just behind in the mental part. Understanding the plan and executing it without getting out of position too much.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 07:01 PM   #42
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Yah I'm not getting down on players after bad games. They will have good and bad. I am ready for Hensley to start getting some action to see what he can add. As long as we are using a big rotation why not? He's got the tools for sure but seems like he might be just behind in the mental part. Understanding the plan and executing it without getting out of position too much.
I agree players will have good and bad games. My feeling on a lot of these guys is we know what we have and in the case of Ado, Ody, Newman and MAW that's enough to keep us competitive with most teams, it's definitely lacking in some major areas.

I love defense as much as the next guy (and more than quite a few). But relying on DDJ and Saunders to carry us on offense all season doesn't seem like a great solution. We also need to rebound the ball. Somebody else needs to step up.

I am certain (let's hope I am wrong) that somebody isn't going to be Ado, Ody, Koval or Newman. It's probably not going to be Davenport or MAW either (though I think they can play a role as spot up shooters).

Let's see what some of the other guys can do in extended minutes. Especially Hensley and Mason. Let's try guys at different positions (Davenport at the 3 or Lakhin at the 5). Let's see if how much better our offense is if we play 5 (or even 4) shooters and guys who move the ball well. Let's find a line up that can rebound the ball, because it's clear that what we've tried so far isn't working and Houston (among others) is going to demolish us on the boards if we don't fix it.

My guess is that Wes will start to give guys more minutes and experiment during this stretch of relatively easy games. He's had a chance to see us play against a couple very good teams and knows what we need to work on. I'm happy with what I've seen so far, but I think we can be better.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 10:32 AM   #43
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
I agree players will have good and bad games. My feeling on a lot of these guys is we know what we have and in the case of Ado, Ody, Newman and MAW that's enough to keep us competitive with most teams, it's definitely lacking in some major areas.

I love defense as much as the next guy (and more than quite a few). But relying on DDJ and Saunders to carry us on offense all season doesn't seem like a great solution. We also need to rebound the ball. Somebody else needs to step up.

I am certain (let's hope I am wrong) that somebody isn't going to be Ado, Ody, Koval or Newman. It's probably not going to be Davenport or MAW either (though I think they can play a role as spot up shooters).

Let's see what some of the other guys can do in extended minutes. Especially Hensley and Mason. Let's try guys at different positions (Davenport at the 3 or Lakhin at the 5). Let's see if how much better our offense is if we play 5 (or even 4) shooters and guys who move the ball well. Let's find a line up that can rebound the ball, because it's clear that what we've tried so far isn't working and Houston (among others) is going to demolish us on the boards if we don't fix it.

My guess is that Wes will start to give guys more minutes and experiment during this stretch of relatively easy games. He's had a chance to see us play against a couple very good teams and knows what we need to work on. I'm happy with what I've seen so far, but I think we can be better.
Yah we have a lot of games and time until Houston for Big Vik to figure out what he can get away with and what he can't. I would not mind using Davenport in more than just one way offensively. Let him post a smaller player up when he gets the right switch etc. He has a knack for getting the ball in the basket when he shoots. Gonna need to get him some space to shoot 3's so he has to do something else...as does Mason. He needs to use the fake a bit more and put the ball on the ground or he will have games where he can't get anything good off (like Houston) who will guard the perimeter. He has to use his ball skills more and I would like to see him try more of that he might surprise himself IDK.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 02:07 PM   #44
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Easily top 10 team if still had Tari/Williams/Harvey over Banks/Newman/Ado
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote