Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 01-29-2021, 12:01 PM   #21
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Have we even been able to practice in the last month? I really don’t know. If not, are people still expecting people to improve?
No. They have had 1 practice... And some individual workouts. But that's about it
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 11:55 PM   #22
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Have we even been able to practice in the last month? I really don’t know. If not, are people still expecting people to improve?
Ya know we did play 10 games uninterrupted prior to this break. And the sophomores just don’t look all that great.

But the reality is: the future doesn’t look bright right now. We still lack star power, we still lack momentum on the recruiting trail and literally we have lost our culture of defense & toughness in just 2 years

I just have no idea what the bright side is. I don’t think John brannen is the coaching guru some of you do. And I certainly don’t think he understands how to coach elite defense.

The guy says “all we practice is defense”. And yet it looks like they never practice it. We send teams to free throw line more than 309 other teams. We are top 20 in defense 3fA/FGA, because teams realize that shooting 3’s against us is silly when scoring at the rim is an all you can eat buffet.

He’s gonna need to build an exciting roster without losing guys like Harvey to transfer. Because if we add nothing but low major recruits in the spring, then basketball is going to see a lot of empty seats in a brand new arena.

Néed a PR win more then actual win

Last edited by justinhub2003; 01-30-2021 at 12:05 AM.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 07:12 AM   #23
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Ya know we did play 10 games uninterrupted prior to this break. And the sophomores just don’t look all that great.

But the reality is: the future doesn’t look bright right now. We still lack star power, we still lack momentum on the recruiting trail and literally we have lost our culture of defense & toughness in just 2 years

I just have no idea what the bright side is. I don’t think John brannen is the coaching guru some of you do. And I certainly don’t think he understands how to coach elite defense.

The guy says “all we practice is defense”. And yet it looks like they never practice it. We send teams to free throw line more than 309 other teams. We are top 20 in defense 3fA/FGA, because teams realize that shooting 3’s against us is silly when scoring at the rim is an all you can eat buffet.

He’s gonna need to build an exciting roster without losing guys like Harvey to transfer. Because if we add nothing but low major recruits in the spring, then basketball is going to see a lot of empty seats in a brand new arena.

Néed a PR win more then actual win
Davenport and Harvey look more than capable of starting and being good in this league. You know that. Eason is good. Raw yes, but good. Most people agreed on this board, that bringing in 1 good player a year is good and what cronin managed to do. In a year and a half I think brannen has done that. Yes, we need a jarron level star. But we didn’t get those guys every year with mick. Don’t make things up. He’s brought in good players. It takes time. If you watch any basketball at all you know that. Don’t play dumb
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 07:18 AM   #24
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Dejulius is also a solid starter, especially in this league. These guys aren’t all American type players but for this league they are pretty good. No brannen hasn’t brought in a whole roster of stars but let’s not act like he’s missed on every player. There’s 4 starters right there in a year and a half.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 12:15 PM   #25
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
We’re terrible plain and simple. John gets paid big bucks to fix it! I didn’t like hire from beginning, I don’t care what he’s doing now, not keeping kid from Xenia was alarming. We needed coach that had a outstanding relationship with all top local talent. He wasn’t even recruiting him to nku, carlik Jones also wanted come home and he let Mack beat him.
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 12:18 PM   #26
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Dejulius is also a solid starter, especially in this league. These guys aren’t all American type players but for this league they are pretty good. No brannen hasn’t brought in a whole roster of stars but let’s not act like he’s missed on every player. There’s 4 starters right there in a year and a half.
I’m only giving him Davenport and Harvey. Only two guys I can win with “RIGHT NOW”. Jury still out on Eason and as you can see you’re not winning with Deju!
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 12:24 PM   #27
JoeRunner89

JoeRunner89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
His recruiting and player evaluation has been quite below average. Hence to the current record. Can he coach these guys up? Its certainly not looking like it right now.. but more time will tell all we can do is sit through this all. Lahkin and Ivanaouskas... I mean come on. I don't want to hear any covid 3xcuses either. It's funny how all the garbage teams cant get on the court by the way... and as far as recruiting I dont see the football team having any issues as well as completing a season with a an even bigger roster
JoeRunner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 09:43 AM   #28
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Nothing to do now but see if Brannen can get it all figured out. Complaining now won’t do a whole lot. But in a year or two he will need some results. I’m not jumping off the cliff yet. Need to find some athletic bigs even if they can’t shoot.

Eason needs to be at the 4. We get a rim protector who can play decent switching on guards Eason will be great backside help. Hopefully the guards progress. We can’t keep going transfer heavy. 2021 class could hurt but we will see what the answers will be.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 10:26 AM   #29
justinhub2003
Epic Member

It’s also hilarious how people attributed Tre Scott’s play last season to John Brannen.

But they refuse to blame anyone but the player when it comes to jarron, Keith and even Chris Vogt to a lesser extent.

Stuff like that is how I know people aren’t calling this like they see it. They took a stand on John brannen being the guy and they will go down with that ship & defend him til the lights are out.

I was a skeptic from the beginning. But with me, winning cures everything. If we win, I’ll gladly take an L and say I was wrong. Because I expect excellence from this program especially in this busted ass league. If this was mick Cronin coaching this busted ass team in this busted ass league, I’d be saying the exact same things. It goes beyond coaches. I just want to win,

And I’m not sold on Davenport or Harvey yet. JD benefits from being an unknown on the scouting report. He has potential but i don’t think he’s the star player on a winning team that’s top 25.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:41 AM   #30
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Elaborating more on JD

Now that he’s been more of a focus for opposing defenses, he’s no longer getting the wide open 3 point looks.

He is 6-22 in AAC play from 3

Good for 27%

Luckily he’s been shooting good from 2, but I think his 3 point shooting is no where near as good as it was to start the year. He’s an energy guy at best. Not a starter on a legit top 25 team

He attributes to a winning team. But will never be why you win consistently

And Harvey has a lot of proving to do before we say he is the next star at UC.

DDJ has been a huge disappointmenf if we’re being honest. His offensive rating is 12 points worse than last year at Michigan. 3pt% is 17%
Like him and Chris McNeal are neck & neck. It’s 15% in AAC play so it’s not getting better. At Michigan he got fouled a lot more, at UC, that’s down from 28% to 16% and 11% in AAC play.
His TO rate is much worse.

Literally his assist rate and defensive rebounding are the only redeemable things about DDJ stat line.

I’m curious as to why you think he’s who’s he is AAC quality?? I mean he’s regressed like most players on this team.