Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
I think this is my preferred rotation after three games:

DeJulius 15 / Saunders 25
MAW 20 / DeJulius 10 / Mason 5 / McGinnis 5
Newman 20 / Mason 10 / Davenport 10
Davenport 15 / Lakhin 10 / Ody 10 / Hensley 5
Koval 20 / Lakhin 10 / Ado 10

The nice thing about our depth is we can play very different lineups. We can go very big or very small, all shooters or all defense.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 09:05 PM   #12
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Presuming Lahkin and McGinnis are still out with injuries, here's a breakdown of how I'd like to see the minutes on Thursday.

MAW 18 / Saunders 22
DeJulius 28 / MAW 5 / Mason 7
Newman 25 / Davenport 8 / Mason 7
Davenport 20 / Koval 10 / Hensley 10
Ado 12 / Ody 20 / Koval 8
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 09:50 PM   #13
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Here is to hoping Vik can play and be healthy.

Also. Newman has a role.... But it's not shooting.

Mason has been struggling early. We need him and his shooting.

Ody was great tonight. Dd making shots was nice to see.
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 06:58 AM   #14
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
I think this is my preferred rotation after three games:

DeJulius 15 / Saunders 25
MAW 20 / DeJulius 10 / Mason 5 / McGinnis 5
Newman 20 / Mason 10 / Davenport 10
Davenport 15 / Lakhin 10 / Ody 10 / Hensley 5
Koval 20 / Lakhin 10 / Ado 10

The nice thing about our depth is we can play very different lineups. We can go very big or very small, all shooters or all defense.
That seems pretty close to me
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 07:14 AM   #15
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Rumor on the 247 board is that Ado has a thumb injury, doesn't really excuse his slow feet, but may be why his hands are so bad. He really has not impressed.

I think Mason just needs to learn to stop taking bad threes. He has shown he can make them at a high rate when he has his feet set and an opening to shoot. He has shown a nice ability to drive to the basket and distribute as well (ended up with 4 assists this game). He seems to let the crowd and his own emotions bait him into taking bad threes, especially after a big play on defense.

I agree with Sedz on Ody/Hensley. They both play out of control at times, Hensley more so on offense and Ody more so on defense. Hensley looks like the game hasn't slowed down for him yet (and like he will be a very good player once it does). Ody seems like he tries to do too much and get by on his mobility and athleticism, rather than playing within the system and using his athleticism to really excel within the system.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 07:29 AM   #16
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Something tells me this is the Dejulius they have been seeing in practice but never really translated to games. So hopefully he can keep it rolling when we hit better competition. If he can hit shots even moderately well it changes our outlook when you also consider adding Lakhin back into the mix.
Old 11-17-2021, 07:43 AM   #17
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Rumor on the 247 board is that Ado has a thumb injury, doesn't really excuse his slow feet, but may be why his hands are so bad. He really has not impressed.

I think Mason just needs to learn to stop taking bad threes. He has shown he can make them at a high rate when he has his feet set and an opening to shoot. He has shown a nice ability to drive to the basket and distribute as well (ended up with 4 assists this game). He seems to let the crowd and his own emotions bait him into taking bad threes, especially after a big play on defense.

I agree with Sedz on Ody/Hensley. They both play out of control at times, Hensley more so on offense and Ody more so on defense. Hensley looks like the game hasn't slowed down for him yet (and like he will be a very good player once it does). Ody seems like he tries to do too much and get by on his mobility and athleticism, rather than playing within the system and using his athleticism to really excel within the system.
Mason can take any three he wants. He is the only guy on the team with that green light.
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 08:19 AM   #18
waterhead
Senior Moderator

I can see the talent there with Hensley and why he has probably had some impressive moments in practice. But I'm not sure the consistency will be there to keep him in very long. He can make a big play or a mistake and that is not really a good recipe. McGinnis has a very nice 3 ball but something is holding him back as the last guy on the floor. Defense or turnovers probably. Either way they both are young and have time to clean that up this year. Ody has some things to clean up as well but probably not as many.

Overall I am more impressed than I thought I would be as a team.
Old 11-17-2021, 09:12 AM   #19
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I can see the talent there with Hensley and why he has probably had some impressive moments in practice. But I'm not sure the consistency will be there to keep him in very long. He can make a big play or a mistake and that is not really a good recipe. McGinnis has a very nice 3 ball but something is holding him back as the last guy on the floor. Defense or turnovers probably. Either way they both are young and have time to clean that up this year. Ody has some things to clean up as well but probably not as many.

Ody has a lot to clean up, he almost never boxes out, doesn't communicate well on screens and gets out of position on defense. There's was a point in the game where MAW got hit on a screen and went over to Ody and told him he's got to call those out. He uses his athleticism to overcome a lot of his mistakes, but if he just stops making the mistakes he will be a lot better (and he's already pretty good). The main thing he does well on defense is on ball defense.

On offense he looks more polished though, has a nice ability to finish close to the rim and uses his athleticism to grab rebounds. He also is excellent at anticipating where the ball is going and getting there for rebounds.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 09:42 AM   #20
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post

Hensley looks pretty uncomfortable when we run our regular half-court offense. We caught a quick glimpse of how dangerous he can be in transition and he appears to have the nicest free throw stroke on the team. I'd consider him the most intriguing "project" we've had in some time.

I hope that a lot of Ody's current issues can be corrected with good coaching. His raw ability, motor, and athleticism really separate him from our other front court players. If he can figure it our soon we'll be a much more competitive team.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote