Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2020, 09:18 AM   #111
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
36 minutes for Mika, 14 for Harvey, 11 for Davenport out of nowhere.

None of them were scared of the situation. Davenport shot when he was open, got one dunked down his throat and came back and went right at the guy for 2 of his own.

These freshman are tough.
The dunks from Davenport and Harvey were fun. Mika with a massive block with no foul to save a big bucket. 26 points out of the frosh on the night in a big game
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:27 AM   #112
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
Amazing comeback. I'm still not sure how it happened. It's not like we played well down the stretch, we made multiple mistakes, but somehow we pulled it out.

Season saving final 11 or so minutes. Have to give credit to the guys for fighting back and not giving in. The game seemed so unwinnable for the first 14 minutes of the 2nd half.

Tre is the only guy that could have an amazing 25 and 19 game and still have a stretch where just forgets how to play basketball. But man were those free throws clutch. Saved our season.

And at the game I had no idea he has anywhere close to 19 rebounds. Early in the game when he went hard for a dunk and got fouled I thought it was huge for his confidence. First game he was passive and kept trying to pump fake them and contort his body and finished 3-9 on shots around the rim and dunks. Tonight he was 5-5.
It felt for quite a while like we just couldn't get stops. We managed just enough to get us to OT and from there we dominated.

You can see Scott's confidence has grown. He used to hesitate or pump fake, now he just takes the shot if it's open. Nailed 2 FT's to tie the game and send us to OT with 10 seconds left in the 2nd half.

I kept hoping for him to get 20. He got #19 with 1:30 left in OT, but Memphis hit their last few baskets and didn't give him a chance.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:28 AM   #113
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
The dunks from Davenport and Harvey were fun. Mika with a massive block with no foul to save a big bucket. 26 points out of the frosh on the night in a big game
Mika actually got beat on that play but his long arms helped him recover.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:30 AM   #114
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
I have zero concerns with the offense of this team.

But I am still worried about the defense and the way its kinda plummeted over the last couple games.

I think at one point, we were top 30 and now were back to 47th in defense.

If we can figure out that end of the court, I think we can make a run.

But Im still not sold on pressing. I think it wears us out quicker and all in all it doesn't generate a ton of TO's.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:46 AM   #115
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post

But I am still worried about the defense and the way its kinda plummeted over the last couple games.

But Im still not sold on pressing. I think it wears us out quicker and all in all it doesn't generate a ton of TO's.
I don’t think this team will ever be great defensively. Could improve some but I don’t think much.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:48 AM   #116
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Yeah the defense has been terrible lately. We give up a lot of easy drives to the basket and though Vogt has improved at providing help on drives, he's still not good at it.

It's nice to see our offense looking good, but we need to play defense as well.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:17 AM   #117
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

they are not pressing to create turnovers. they're pressing so teams are starting their offense at 15 seconds.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:21 AM   #118
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:

We can’t improve the players at this point. We have who we have. The effort could be improved, boxing out doesn’t take skill. Maybe the scheme to some extent but that’s just a bandaid until teams figure out what you’re doing. I also don’t want McNeal or diarra to play if they are terrible. So I’m not sure the answer.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:23 AM   #119
cincyguy13
Epic Member

I think Harvey and MAW are two are our best defenders. Harvey hasn’t been fouling as much and I actually prefer when he’s on the court.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:24 AM   #120
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
I don’t think this team will ever be great defensively. Could improve some but I don’t think much.

its still 30th over our last 10 games (offense is 37 over last 10).

defense has been bad in 3 of our last 10 games, temple, wichita st, and memphis.

it really wasn't bad vs uconn, 95.5 AdjD is not bad (would be 70 if that was our number for the season)
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote