Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 01-17-2019, 09:22 PM   #161
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
I haven't come across any studies. If there was one, it would need to be controlled for known biases, such as refs attempting to even the number of fouls called on each team, calling more fouls on the team in the lead, and calling more fouls on the road team.
Quote:
This study examines the pattern of foul calls exhibited during 365 NCAA basketball games during the 2004-2005 season. Results of the analysis indicate that officials are more likely to call fouls on the team with the fewest fouls, making it likely that the number of fouls will tend to even out during the game. This increased probability increases as the foul differential increases. In addition, there is a significant bias toward officials calling more fouls on the visiting team, and a bias toward foul calls on the team that is leading in score. The result is that the probability of the next foul being called on the visiting team can reach as high as .70 during some game circumstances.
http://home.kelley.iupui.edu/kyjande...%20version.pdf
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:57 AM   #162
Uclawrugby

Uclawrugby is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
Its a bad look if he's actually going after a ref, I think he just wanted to get his say, not attack a guy. I've seen players restrain coaches plenty in that situation. I think it goes more to show how the players kept a cool head and know the situation. Mick is a fiery coach and that has its pluses and minuses but I like his passion. I do think Mick tends to lose his mind at refs at times (as a negative) but I cant talk cause I do too. Again, he is passionate and fights for the team and every call. That helps you more than it hurts.
There has got to be some theatre in the holding back, why else would he complain about consistency. He is obviously in control but acting. If he were truly out of control then immediate psychiatric intervention would be mandatory. The point being, it is unnecessary and as far as I know the two best coaches in history K and Wooden never resorted to it. Remember the Richard Pryor schtick about dudes holding back the guy who wanted to fight Jim Brown? He mumbles the “motherf***er who lets me go is going to be f**ked up”.
Uclawrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:51 AM   #163
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uclawrugby View Post
There has got to be some theatre in the holding back, why else would he complain about consistency. He is obviously in control but acting. If he were truly out of control then immediate psychiatric intervention would be mandatory. The point being, it is unnecessary and as far as I know the two best coaches in history K and Wooden never resorted to it. Remember the Richard Pryor schtick about dudes holding back the guy who wanted to fight Jim Brown? He mumbles the “motherf***er who lets me go is going to be f**ked up”.
I mean, I dont think he's going to stab a ref or anything but I think his anger and frustration can get the better of him at times as well as all of us. Theres a difference between theatrics and losing your cool and needing psychiatric treatment. I think in the moment Mick gets very angry at times and others he might hype it up for dramatic effect to make a point. Mick is honest. He said in his postgame he tries to get T's at times. This wasnt one of those times.
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:54 AM   #164
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STKohls View Post
I remember a game against UCONN when whining Ollie was standing so far onto the floor he bumped a UC player because they were both watching a long shot. He didn't even get a warning...
Yeah I remember Ollie was bad about being on the court too. I'm glad he is gone although it was fun beating up on his teams.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:00 PM   #165
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ervins84 View Post
Can someone give me an estimated number of points added after a coach gets a technical or double technical?

Do we really think a coach getting techs gets us more calls after the technical? If yes, just how many calls are you expecting to flip in your favor? From there, how many points do you think it's worth over the rest of the game.

Even if the teams do get more calls after a coach gets a technical, do you really think that number of calls offsets giving usually an 80% FT shooter 2 or 4 attempts, which is either 1.6 expected points or 3.2 points.

I do not accept the premise that getting technicals results in your team getting more calls going forward. If it's true, I'm sure someone out there can pull data on it to support that.
I dont think any coach had ever planned on getting ejected. So to suggest intentionally giving up 4 shots is a bit much. But they absolutely will give up two shots if they think it will help the cause. Sometimes it's about getting your own team fired up and sometimes its about getting the refs attention and getting them to realize how upset you are. The thought is if you're that upset you there must be a reason. And refs are human. Home crowds certainly show to affect calls so why wouldn't a coach in your ear or getting highly upset?