Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2018, 12:59 PM   #51
BearcatsNE

BearcatsNE is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskenyon4 View Post
I don't think anyone is overly concerned about any family comments, as they would be expected. But gotta disagree with the Trae Young and Sacred Heart comment though, two complete different worlds and expectations.

Cane knew EXACTLY the team and coach he transferred to. Cronin is a slow mover, but I fully expect Cane's minutes to only grow month over month as this year and next goes on.

Cronin is only especially harsh on players he believes in....
You’re not getting the point, it’s about having the opportunity to play without the fear of making a mistake which Trae clearly have. And yes he knew where he was transferring too, I believe I said that. But a player also believes that a coach came and got him because of what the coach seen of that player.
BearcatsNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:04 PM   #52
kskenyon4
Elite Member

kskenyon4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatsNE View Post
You’re not getting the point, it’s about having the opportunity to play without the fear of making a mistake which Trae clearly have. And yes he knew where he was transferring too, I believe I said that. But a player also believes that a coach came and got him because of what the coach seen of that player.

You clearly are new to UC and/or Mick Cronin. Young averages 23 shots a game. Cane averaged almost 18 two years ago as the clear cut #1 main scorer at Sacred Heart. Cincy and AAC is a complete other world. He currently is 5th on UC with FGA/game. Roughly where he and everyone knew he would be.

If Cane wanted to attempt 23 FG's a game, he would of stayed at SHU. Trae Young leads all B12 players in FGA/game, again, this is not a comparable thing between himself and Cane.

Last edited by kskenyon4; 01-10-2018 at 01:07 PM.
kskenyon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:34 PM   #53
BearcatsNE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kskenyon4 View Post
You clearly are new to UC and/or Mick Cronin. Young averages 23 shots a game. Cane averaged almost 18 two years ago as the clear cut #1 main scorer at Sacred Heart. Cincy and AAC is a complete other world. He currently is 5th on UC with FGA/game. Roughly where he and everyone knew he would be.

If Cane wanted to attempt 23 FG's a game, he would of stayed at SHU. Trae Young leads all B12 players in FGA/game, again, this is not a comparable thing between himself and Cane.
I’m loving all the numbers and stuff, but it still comes down to opportunity. A player is only allowed to do what a coach allows him to do. And I know Cane, and he wasnt at Sacred Heart because he couldn’t go anywhere else it was because he wanted to play right away. And the way the conference is right now it’s not that far off. And he’s 5th on UC and playing only 20mins if that.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:46 PM   #54
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Regardless of all this noise...Cane needs to be on the floor more....when healthy that is.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:55 PM   #55
BearcatsNE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
Regardless of all this noise...Cane needs to be on the floor more....when healthy that is.
Im not trying to argue, I only saying giving the opportunity, a player that can score like Cane can who know what he would average. Put like this give Cane the chance to play the amount of minutes Jarron plays. And I’ll bet he scores over 15 ppg. And his assist would go up too.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:56 PM   #56
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I’m loving all the numbers and stuff, but it still comes down to opportunity. A player is only allowed to do what a coach allows him to do. And I know Cane, and he wasnt at Sacred Heart because he couldn’t go anywhere else it was because he wanted to play right away. And the way the conference is right now it’s not that far off. And he’s 5th on UC and playing only 20mins if that.
Look I love Cane and what he does for this team. And he was HUGELY overlooked by schools in his first recruitment, but 247 Says that he had 3 offers out of high school for D1. He went to SHU and impressed people and picked up high major offers. He chose Cincinnati knowing they had a PG already and that mick has never promised a kid anything, only that if you work hard, you will get your shot. Nothing at Cincinnati is given to you and Cane, if anything should understand that.

I 1000% know Cane is a much better player being at Cincinnati than he would be if he stayed at sacred heart. Mick is grooming him to protect the ball and be a great PG. He will get to play in the tourney this year and is playing on a national stage. He picked the right school and he will get his chance to shine at Cincinnati, I have no doubt. He even said when he committed that he wanted to go somewhere and win, and he knew he wasn't going to score nearly the same amount of points.

Cane can score 20+ a game in 250 schools across the country and yet lose 20+ games. Instead he is an impact player on an elite top 15 team.

Also, I hope you aren't trying to say the NEC and the AAC are comparable. Its not even close dude. Not any metric would ever support that. UC would have destroyed SHU with out without cane and so would every team in the this conference.

Again, I think almost every single UC fan is absolutely thrilled we have cane Broome n our team. And while I don't understand why he doesn't start, I do understand his impact off the bench is huge. He is our secret weapon.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:01 PM   #57
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Cane has a turnover rate of 24%. Trae's is 17%, to go along with a nation leading 55% assist rate and 40% usage rate. Not only does Trae play without fear of making mistakes, he just doesn't make them very often. I think Mick will tolerate poor shot selection some, but not turning the ball over more than anyone else who plays as much as he does. I do think he'll bring the turnover numbers down though as he adjusts, just as Washington did.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:02 PM   #58
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Also of note:

Mick's best player of his Era; Sean Kilpatrick, was Red Shirted. He was hard on SK because he knew he had so much more to give.

SK is in the NBA and is the 2nd leading scorer in UC history.

Cane is going to have to trust the process a bit.

Were 14-2 and trending in the right direction.

Cane played a bunch of minutes in the X and Florida games and we still lost. Its a team game and were winning. As a fan, that should be the most important thing and UC basketball has always been about team ball and winning. If a player thinks he needs more minutes or something, it can kill a locker room. I hope that Cane sees the long view
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:08 PM   #59
BearcatsNE

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Look I love Cane and what he does for this team. And he was HUGELY overlooked by schools in his first recruitment, but 247 Says that he had 3 offers out of high school for D1. He went to SHU and impressed people and picked up high major offers. He chose Cincinnati knowing they had a PG already and that mick has never promised a kid anything, only that if you work hard, you will get your shot. Nothing at Cincinnati is given to you and Cane, if anything should understand that.

I 1000% know Cane is a much better player being at Cincinnati than he would be if he stayed at sacred heart. Mick is grooming him to protect the ball and be a great PG. He will get to play in the tourney this year and is playing on a national stage. He picked the right school and he will get his chance to shine at Cincinnati, I have no doubt. He even said when he committed that he wanted to go somewhere and win, and he knew he wasn't going to score nearly the same amount of points.

Cane can score 20+ a game in 250 schools across the country and yet lose 20+ games. Instead he is an impact player on an elite top 15 team.

Also, I hope you aren't trying to say the NEC and the AAC are comparable. Its not even close dude. Not any metric would ever support that. UC would have destroyed SHU with out without cane and so would every team in the this conference.

Again, I think almost every single UC fan is absolutely thrilled we have cane Broome n our team. And while I don't understand why he doesn't start, I do understand his impact off the bench is huge. He is our secret weapon.
Of course not but some of the teams in the AAC should be in the NEC (I’m joking). But I’m just saying you have to give a kid the opportunity that’s all.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:23 PM   #60
Defense first

Defense first is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Of course not but some of the teams in the AAC should be in the NEC (I’m joking). But I’m just saying you have to give a kid the opportunity that’s all.
Cane is coming off the bench because we need scoring off the bench. If Moore, scott, Williams or Brooks could score, then there would be a good chance of him starting. At any point in any game if UC desperately needs scoring, then cane will be in over Justin. Couldn't imagine Justin coming off bench because then we would have no threat of scoring on the bench. As far as Evans leaving early, not to worried. We have very good 5 player rotation, almost all could get twenty on every given night. This means Evans doesn't always have to score big for us to win. Next year, he will be counted along more to score bigger numbers, so will cane. Unless your a guaranteed first rounder, would be silly to leave. He will move his way to all the first round boards the end of his senior year. This is why cronin says the key to get where we want to go is how good more and Williams becomes.Go bearcats.

Last edited by Defense first; 01-10-2018 at 02:31 PM.
Defense first is offline   Reply With Quote