Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2018, 08:21 PM   #131
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
I'm afraid we will lose at Wichita State and have a 3 way tie. I'm afraid we'll then lose to Wichita State in the AAC Tournament. I'm afraid we'll then lose to the first team we play that can hit open shots and/or run offense.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:25 AM   #132
Alum2013
Elite Member

Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
so how do you reward him for 5-7 great practices? bench him the houston game.

i don't believe a word cronin says to the media.
Yea, that sounds like a load of crap to me.
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:44 AM   #133
Cin City

Cin City is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
I'm afraid we will lose at Wichita State and have a 3 way tie. I'm afraid we'll then lose to Wichita State in the AAC Tournament. I'm afraid we'll then lose to the first team we play that can hit open shots and/or run offense.
While I share your fear of sharing a conference regular season title...I'm more afraid of actually not making it to the conference tourney championship. IF, IF, we end up with a two seed or three seed....we'd get red hot Houston in the semi's. Id actually have more confidence against Wichita.

As for the NCAA, i've said it since the X/FLA week that if we run into a team that runs an offense...even if they arent nearly as talented as us...we are in trouble.

I hope im wrong on all account here.
Cin City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:46 AM   #134
Cin City

Cin City is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Plus, any team that forces us to shoot and make shots has a winning recipe. We haven't proven we can do that consistently against quality opponents. Someone needs to emerge as an alpha. Its imperative.
Cin City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:24 AM   #135
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin City View Post
Plus, any team that forces us to shoot and make shots has a winning recipe. We haven't proven we can do that consistently against quality opponents. Someone needs to emerge as an alpha. Its imperative.
We need that final piece of the puzzle. When teams double us down low and we aren't making shots...we need someone who can make some magic happen with the ball in their hands. I think it would take some pressure off Evans and even Cumberland to a certain extent. They are capable of making plays in the flow of the game but not when forced to do it and not for extended periods of time.

Anyone know of a dynamic guard we can throw in there to help with this?
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:55 AM   #136
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
listening to the show now. mick is talking about how the teams that have made the tournament 7 straight years are either full of nba players (duke) or defense and rebounding teams (gonzaga, michigan state, wisconsin).

does he really not know those 3 teams were all top 25 in offense in 5 of those 7 years? defense, rebounding, AND scoring. you have to have all 3 to advance (or you know, a bunch of nba players).
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:14 AM   #137
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
listening to the show now. mick is talking about how the teams that have made the tournament 7 straight years are either full of nba players (duke) or defense and rebounding teams (gonzaga, michigan state, wisconsin).

does he really not know those 3 teams were all top 25 in offense in 5 of those 7 years? defense, rebounding, AND scoring. you have to have all 3 to advance (or you know, a bunch of nba players).

I don't disagree...you have to defend and rebound...but you have to keep up with a good offensive team. Smart, talented, and well coached players are going to expose your D...at least to a certain extent. In March other teams are even going to try harder on D and rebounding. If they are talented they can probably get it done. Our "hustle advantage" is going to be reduced in March when all teams are in a one and done situation. All teams are going to leave it on the floor. We must be able to score points. We can't have a situation where the coach can't figure out how to score for 10+ minutes.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:20 AM   #138
IDC

IDC is on a distinguished road
Every time we play a team that can pass and shoot we get beat, dating back to facing Creighton and Harvard in the tourney. How good is our defense really if we always get beat when we play a team that can pass and shoot?
IDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:20 AM   #139
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I don't disagree...you have to defend and rebound...but you have to keep up with a good offensive team. Smart, talented, and well coached players are going to expose your D...at least to a certain extent. In March other teams are even going to try harder on D and rebounding. If they are talented they can probably get it done. Our "hustle advantage" is going to be reduced in March when all teams are in a one and done situation. All teams are going to leave it on the floor. We must be able to score points. We can't have a situation where the coach can't figure out how to score for 10+ minutes.

he actually said we don't have talented enough players to run offensive sets all game. our players aren't capable of that.

"we don't have the shooting, we're not an elite shooting team. we don't have the players that can run 37 set plays in a game. thats not who we are, we would be a bad team if we tried to play that way."
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:35 AM   #140
M64W

M64W is on a distinguished road
SHOOTING & MAKING

Quote:
he actually said we don't have talented enough players to run offensive sets all game. our players aren't capable of that.

"we don't have the shooting, we're not an elite shooting team. we don't have the players that can run 37 set plays in a game. thats not who we are, we would be a bad team if we tried to play that way."
He recruited them--guys who can't score! Recruit some guys who can shoot and score! Mick's recruiting base is limited by Mick himself. He has pigeon-holed UC into "what it is" and there is no way out. Sorry to say, but the only way out is to change coaches.
M64W is offline   Reply With Quote