Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2018, 01:39 PM   #71
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Is it a crazy idea to bring Keith Williams along as a backup PG for the Logan Johnson years? I'm not saying only be a backup PG, hopefully he'd be a starting wing. But he handles the ball pretty well and isn't someone we'd want taking a lot of outside shots. He can get into the teeth of the defense. His length would make him good on the ball defensively. I just don't know if he has that mentality though. He looks to get his a lot. Often to his detriment. It's hard to tell how his career is going to go. He needs to slow down. He wants it so bad. But he must learn how to play in the flow. It's looking like a big challenge at this point, but there is still a lot of hope for him. Hopefully Evans stays and it gives Williams another year to develop. But the thought of him bringing it up at times as an older player seemed interesting to me.
i was going to post this, and then seen your post. From what I have seen, (limited), I think Keith would be best at PG for all the reasons you mentioned. I am not as big on Logan Johnson but it's impossible to tell with recruits that aren't 5 star guys. Not sure what he does well but I have only seen limited videos.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:39 PM   #72
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
i was going to post this, and then seen your post. From what I have seen, (limited), I think Keith would be best at PG for all the reasons you mentioned. I am not as big on Logan Johnson but it's impossible to tell with recruits that aren't 5 star guys. Not sure what he does well but I have only seen limited videos.
Why wouldn't you be big on the brother of an NBA player?
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:19 PM   #73
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Is it a crazy idea to bring Keith Williams along as a backup PG for the Logan Johnson years? I'm not saying only be a backup PG, hopefully he'd be a starting wing. But he handles the ball pretty well and isn't someone we'd want taking a lot of outside shots. He can get into the teeth of the defense. His length would make him good on the ball defensively. I just don't know if he has that mentality though. He looks to get his a lot. Often to his detriment. It's hard to tell how his career is going to go. He needs to slow down. He wants it so bad. But he must learn how to play in the flow. It's looking like a big challenge at this point, but there is still a lot of hope for him. Hopefully Evans stays and it gives Williams another year to develop. But the thought of him bringing it up at times as an older player seemed interesting to me.
Not crazy at all Jake. Actually Mick likes having two guards on the floor that can handle the rock. You see it this year with Jacob and in past years Dixion was another. I also wouldn't worry about Williams and his shot. If I was betting I'd wager he spends a bunch of time in the gym when the season is over trying to find a shot.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:11 PM   #74
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
ok, he's the best. sorry
Old 01-29-2018, 06:14 PM   #75
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
ok, he's the best. sorry
I'm just saying, what's your reasoning? He looks pretty darn good in the clips I've seen him in. He's pretty decently ranked, and climbing. And he's the brother of an NBA player. Those are reasons to be high on him, what are yours for not? Just wondering..
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:14 PM   #76
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
He doesn't look that great to me. I am not a scout and have seen he play for 5 minutes. Could be and probably am wrong. I hope he's great.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:20 PM   #77
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
I'm just saying, what's your reasoning? He looks pretty darn good in the clips I've seen him in. He's pretty decently ranked, and climbing. And he's the brother of an NBA player. Those are reasons to be high on him, what are yours for not? Just wondering..
He looks like he's playing in a terrible league. Which isn't he's fault but also can't take much from it. Haven't seen him shoot much, which is always kind of scary. Shooting always helps. especially us. Like I said, it's so hard to tell because every highlight tape is going to make them look great, so you kind of have to try and break it down from 2000 miles away on a computer. I have no idea.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:23 PM   #78
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I like Logan Johnson that being said, look at deshaun Morman and jermaine Lawrence highlights from highschool, I though both of them were going to be great players for us.

Jarron Cumberland on the other hand I wasn’t impressed with through highlights and obviously he is an incredible player.

Sometimes the tapes don’t show the truth
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:31 PM   #79
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchick View Post
I like Logan Johnson that being said, look at deshaun Morman and jermaine Lawrence highlights from highschool, I though both of them were going to be great players for us.

Jarron Cumberland on the other hand I wasn’t impressed with through highlights and obviously he is an incredible player.

yeah, so hard to tell. jermaine lawrence looks like kevin garnett on his tape and he gets here and he's one of the worst players on our team. A lot of it is how hard the player is willing to work once they get here and no one can know that
Old 01-29-2018, 06:47 PM   #80
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchick View Post

Not sure Morman and Lawrence are the best examples. It wasn't really a talent issue with them. And it's hard to judge bc they didn't make it more than a year. Had they both stayed here for 4 years, who knows?

Here's what I know about Logan Johnson: He extremely athletic. He looks to be a very crafty finisher who can easily use both hands. He has legitimate PG skills and vision. He'll be behind 2 SR PGs as a FR while he learns the ropes. His brother went from walk-on to $50M NBA player bc he worked his ass off, so there's no doubt Logan knows how hard it is to make it. He seems to be very excited about coming to UC and is well aware that he's going to be coached hard. His brother is the one who told him to pick UC to toughen him up. I get zero impression that he's like Morman or Lawrence in any way. Morman had a bad attitude and Lawrence thought the program would revolve around him from day 1. He had handlers making decisions for him. I don't think Logan Johnson comes with that kind of baggage. He seems like a hard working kid who loves to hoop. As he adds strength and gains experience, his floor is extremely high in our conference just by virtue of being in our program and working with our players, coaches, and Rehfeldt. He fits our culture. We have humble workers. Guys who aren't afraid to grind. I don't think we would be bringing him in if we didn't think he fit in with what we have on the roster. And with the players we've been bringing in lately, I trust that our coaches know what they're doing. They aren't going to take an early commitment from a scrub, especially considering that we really need a PG for 2019-20. So the fact that they aren't still looking should tell you how they feel about him. And that's good enough for me. Obviously you can't just directly translate his HS tape to D1. You have to use your imagination. And nothing I have seen or heard steers me in the direction of projecting him out to be like the bad attitude busts from years ago.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote