Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football

Old 08-27-2015, 10:00 AM   #1
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Really Tuberville?

@schadjoe: Cincinnati’s Tommy Tuberville said he will consider withholding some cost of attendance money for off the field shortcomings/violations.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:39 AM   #2
JerseySean

JerseySean is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure what this means, but if it refers to in-effecting "fining" players for bad behavior, I actually like it. Accountability, baby.
JerseySean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:04 AM   #3
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
VA Tech thinking about doing same thing:

Bud Foster said #Hokies looking at fining players for missing/being late to meetings, other disciplinary stuff. $$ comes out of COA stipend.

http://www.the-mainboard.com/index.p...ipline.159372/
Old 08-27-2015, 01:13 PM   #4
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
It all depends on how it is determined. A coach should not have the liberty to just fine a player because they don't give enough effort on the field or something like that. However, if the player does not hold up their end of their scholarship agreement and fail in the classroom or get arrested, etc, I don't have a problem with a fine. Shoot, I wouldn't have problem with the entire scholarship getting pulled in those cases. It cannot be a motivational tool but it can be a disciplinary tool if administered fairly, consistently, and clearly.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 10:26 AM   #5
bearcat8290

bearcat8290 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
It all depends on how it is determined. A coach should not have the liberty to just fine a player because they don't give enough effort on the field or something like that. However, if the player does not hold up their end of their scholarship agreement and fail in the classroom or get arrested, etc, I don't have a problem with a fine. Shoot, I wouldn't have problem with the entire scholarship getting pulled in those cases. It cannot be a motivational tool but it can be a disciplinary tool if administered fairly, consistently, and clearly.
I agree with Jason. Patrick, the VT thing is different. I read 10 bucks for late to meetings, 25 for messy locker etc. Tuberville is talking about serious rule violations such as arrests, not going class, crimes.
bearcat8290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:48 AM   #6
Cataclysmo

Cataclysmo is on a distinguished road
Seems like Tuberville's comments got misconstrued. The plan is to use some of that COA to cover expenses that the players garner on their own behalf. For instance, If I, as a normal student, were to break the door to my dorm, I would be fined for it. In this case, the COA money would be put aside to pay for it. I might be wrong on this matter, but it actually sounds like a very reasonable move. I would assume other schools should be soon to follow.
Cataclysmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:31 AM   #7
LaxCat31

LaxCat31 is on a distinguished road
Mo Egger had a pretty good article about it here:

http://www.espn1530.com/onair/mo-egg...dance-13898156
LaxCat31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 05:21 AM   #8
sidneysonnino

sidneysonnino is on a distinguished road
This wouldn't be news if we were talking about the coach of a professional team, but we're not. Coaches across the nation have ringed their hands over the "professionalization" of their sport (except when it comes to their ballooning salaries).