Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football

Old 08-25-2016, 06:44 AM   #491
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
I'd like to apologize for getting off topic in the thread. Very sore subject for me. Taking care of our young people should be paramount in this country. They are the future I'm told. Parents, Educators/coaches and clergy should be held to the highest standards. We are locking up our youth at a alarming rate in this country. Much of it for profit as evidenced here.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...ribery-scandal

Sorry for the rant. Its probably why things like community involvement, graduation rates and good character student athletes are a big part of the equation for me as opposed to just winning a few more games. Please do not take my comment as implying some on here don't. This is a huge problem in our country today. Much of it can be attributed to how we educate our young people.

Last edited by WAITE HOYT 2; 08-25-2016 at 07:00 AM.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:41 AM   #492
Madman81
Elite Member

Madman81 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
A basketball coach at a major university with much access. Who's number 1 objective should be mentoring his players. It's not just him that aggravates me it is the system. Home many homes do you think some of these coaches go into speaking about how much they care about the kids. As far as realignment it is another example of bastadizing the system. It's all about the money. As far as Huggins goes your right I should move on. The problem is much bigger then his fat ass.
the number 1 objective of a basketball coach at a major university should be winning on the court. period.
Madman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:34 AM   #493
Doogle

Doogle will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCalum08 View Post
Check out @EmptySeatsPics's Tweet: https://twitter.com/EmptySeatsPics/s...660845568?s=09

Houston's fan support is so good. I mentioned earlier, they can't even show up for their MLS team. Meanwhile, FC Cincinnati had 14,000+ tonight. Houston sucks on all fronts.

I really can't stress enough how little you know about what you're talking about here. Want me to take a picture at a recent Reds game and base all opinion of Cincinnati's ability to support the B12 off of that? Or, we could just go on average attendance at CFB games for 2015. Memphis outdrew us by 6K a game. C'mon, man. We're better than that.

I've lived in Houston for over 3 years now. Lots to like about it. Stuff to dislike. Like any city. Cincinnati is a better fit in the B12 right now over Houston for many reasons but none of them have to do with attendance at a soccer game.
Doogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:45 AM   #494
NKY Bearcat

NKY Bearcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogle View Post
I really can't stress enough how little you know about what you're talking about here. Want me to take a picture at a recent Reds game and base all opinion of Cincinnati's ability to support the B12 off of that? Or, we could just go on average attendance at CFB games for 2015. Memphis outdrew us by 6K a game. C'mon, man. We're better than that.

I've lived in Houston for over 3 years now. Lots to like about it. Stuff to dislike. Like any city. Cincinnati is a better fit in the B12 right now over Houston for many reasons but none of them have to do with attendance at a soccer game.
But if we draw 17k to FCC games, we will obviously draw 17k to UC soccer games!

Oh wait...
NKY Bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:51 AM   #495
NKY Bearcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman81 View Post
the number 1 objective of a basketball coach at a major university should be winning on the court. period.
While you may have stated it a bit harsh, you are correct.

The coaches are not being paid millions to shape young men. They are being paid millions to elevate the program and essentially advertise the university's brand on a national stage. The brand awareness that sports generate, has a huge impact on the value of the degree and what the university can charge for that degree.

With this being said, I still would want my school graduating the players and shaping them into great men. Winning is just still more important for the university overall.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:56 AM   #496
JerseySean

JerseySean is on a distinguished road
Really, shouldn't it be both? These don't have to be mutually exclusive. I want to win AND I want those wearing the uniform of my alma mater (and coaching it) to reflect well on our university. Whether we like it or not, how our coaches, players, and teams are perceived do reflect on the university. Win baby. But not at ALL costs. Don't cheat. Don't break the law. Don't embarrass the university. Ideally, be an upstanding role model for young people. Representing the university with pride and dignity should be table stakes.

But of course, as far as the coach is concerned, you also have to win. That's why you make the big bucks.
JerseySean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:29 AM   #497
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogle View Post

You need to calm down buddy. Maybe I struck a nerve since you're a fine Houstonian. It was merely a sarcastic jab at Houston wanting in the Big 12. Wasn't out to make points. Thanks.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 12:39 PM   #498
NKY Bearcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySean View Post
Really, shouldn't it be both? These don't have to be mutually exclusive. I want to win AND I want those wearing the uniform of my alma mater (and coaching it) to reflect well on our university. Whether we like it or not, how our coaches, players, and teams are perceived do reflect on the university. Win baby. But not at ALL costs. Don't cheat. Don't break the law. Don't embarrass the university. Ideally, be an upstanding role model for young people. Representing the university with pride and dignity should be table stakes.

But of course, as far as the coach is concerned, you also have to win. That's why you make the big bucks.
The question I would ask is, "Was it more beneficial to the University overall to have a top end program with character issues like the one Huggins ran, or a relatively clean borderline top 25 program that Cronin is running?"

I like Cronin and think he is doing a great job for UC/athletes with his resources. However, I believe the Huggins years were better for UC overall.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:45 PM   #499
#BearcatNation
Epic Member

#BearcatNation is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NKY Bearcat View Post
The question I would ask is, "Was it more beneficial to the University overall to have a top end program with character issues like the one Huggins ran, or a relatively clean borderline top 25 program that Cronin is running?"

I like Cronin and think he is doing a great job for UC/athletes with his resources. However, I believe the Huggins years were better for UC overall.
From an athletic standpoint, I would agree. From an overall university standpoint, I would disagree.
#BearcatNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:20 PM   #500
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman81 View Post
your so wrong but to each his own.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote