Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 11-09-2017, 04:10 PM   #141
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
We have a lot of scoring options and still only get one shot per possession. Not everybody will get to score just because they are capable of it. Evans and even more so Clark aren't the most aggressive at looking to score so their point production could go down. This isn't an issue at all from a team perspective as long as we still get smart shots from other players. We have maybe 6 players *capable* of scoring 20+ a game (five starters and Williams) and two to three more *capable* of scoring 10-15 with Jenifer, Moore and maybe Brooks. Obviously there aren't enough shots to go around for everyone to hit those numbers on a nightly basis. If the team pushes 80 points a game I have no worries about who gets them as long as there's no selfish play, which I'm sure Mick will curb.

With all that said, I expect Evans to still get his. He doesn't shy away from the ball and will be a mismatch for opponents. He won't lead the team in scoring because I expect Cumberland to do that and assuming Washington stays out of foul trouble, he'll be second. Them two are just so aggressive at looking to score. Evans should be third and I'd guess finish around 13/game. Some games maybe he "disappears" but I'm hoping that's more because other players are scoring and he just doesn't get shots. Clark on the other hand....I could easily see his numbers dropping off scoring wise. He just really doesn't look to score unless he needs to and on this team he won't need to. He'll really have to want to score and not defer if he wants to put up numbers. And he's just not that type of player. I fully expect his defensive numbers to be strong though and that's perfectly fine. Like I said, we won't score 100-130 a game for everybody to reach their potential, so it's perfectly acceptable if some players aren't scoring what they could be.
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:20 PM   #142
HExus

HExus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
We have a lot of scoring options and still only get one shot per possession. Not everybody will get to score just because they are capable of it. Evans and even more so Clark aren't the most aggressive at looking to score so their point production could go down. This isn't an issue at all from a team perspective as long as we still get smart shots from other players. We have maybe 6 players *capable* of scoring 20+ a game (five starters and Williams) and two to three more *capable* of scoring 10-15 with Jenifer, Moore and maybe Brooks. Obviously there aren't enough shots to go around for everyone to hit those numbers on a nightly basis. If the team pushes 80 points a game I have no worries about who gets them as long as there's no selfish play, which I'm sure Mick will curb.

With all that said, I expect Evans to still get his. He doesn't shy away from the ball and will be a mismatch for opponents. He won't lead the team in scoring because I expect Cumberland to do that and assuming Washington stays out of foul trouble, he'll be second. Them two are just so aggressive at looking to score. Evans should be third and I'd guess finish around 13/game. Some games maybe he "disappears" but I'm hoping that's more because other players are scoring and he just doesn't get shots. Clark on the other hand....I could easily see his numbers dropping off scoring wise. He just really doesn't look to score unless he needs to and on this team he won't need to. He'll really have to want to score and not defer if he wants to put up numbers. And he's just not that type of player. I fully expect his defensive numbers to be strong though and that's perfectly fine. Like I said, we won't score 100-130 a game for everybody to reach their potential, so it's perfectly acceptable if some players aren't scoring what they could be.
Coach Cronin addressed concerns over Evans scoring, and compared it to Nick VanExel's scoring in exhibition games. He understands that the exhibition is about seeing what the bench has and getting new guys involved. Getting better as a team. Not about stuffing stats for starters. He made the point that you shouldn't worry about Evans scoring, as he will get his in you can rest assured. Paraphrasing of course. But that was the basics of what he talked about.

I doubt you will see a drop off with Evans. You might see it for some guys just because there might not be enough shots to go around, but I wouldn't worry about it honestly. They just need to find the open man and take smart shots. Who cares who it is. Like Mick said, its about passing the ball. How well they pass the ball is going to determine a lot about this season. Need to play unselfish.
HExus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:11 PM   #143
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
All you have to do is look at golden state. Stacked team, added KD. Now the production for each player has gone down some. They're still winning so who cares. No one is selfish, and any one can go off and carry the team on any given night. We are loaded with depth, if Evans isn't going off every night who cares. Scouts will still get a feel for his game, he will do whatever we need from him and that's all that matters. He is a 100% NBA player, I have very little concern how great his numbers are.
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote