Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2021, 06:46 PM   #111
skyblade
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 1,482
skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDW79 View Post
No, I initially lumped them all together for coming from a school in North Carolina.

UNCG - North Carolina
Clemson - North Carolina
Wake - North Carolina

It makes me question if this coach can recruit on a national level.

Yeah, I did not know who he was talking about. All he said was we picked up one of the best defensive wings in the portal. I'm sorry I'm not analytics obsessed like some of the people on here and wasn't immediately able to discern that meant Newman III.

I'm finally bowing it out. Promise. I've made my point, and anyone is more than welcome to disagree with it. We'll all have to wait and see.

I'll leave you guys back to your board now. Go Bearcats.
Clemson is in South Carolina...

skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 12:15 AM   #112
kskenyon4
Elite Member
 
kskenyon4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 504
kskenyon4 is on a distinguished road
Why ignore the Koval stats against better competition while at Central Arkansas? Pick a lane and stay with it.

In 30 days Wes has done a 'B' or so job with the roster, and by all accounts done an 'A' job in everything else. Reaching out to former players, trying to inject energy and pushing for 3pt contest at a midnight madness, etc.

Mick walked into a dumpster fire, and Wes is only walking into less of a scolding one. If anything, Wes is almost on even ground, he's recruiting in the AAC. We all know the phenomenal job Mick did to pull us to a relevancy and then success, it took years. We can't ignore Wes starting this job weeks later than we all wanted from a recruiting stand point. All the time we kept complaining about the indecision and Cunningham, is not Miller's fault.

No one here is in the know enough to know enough about the roster make up, but there's no reason to not trust Wes for now.

We had 4 players, and now this team I hope can compete. I don't expect big things this year, and hope for much bigger in year 2-3. Only time will tell.
kskenyon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 12:27 AM   #113
TheRealMick
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 811
TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
Yeah why would he recruit in the state he’s been a coach in for the last ten years. Come in man you expect him to have ties in the area after 30 days. Lmao
I expected McMillan or Miller to commit with Wes hiring. Huge gamble if he doesn’t have in state connections. We have 3 top 100 players coming out Cincinnati coming up, Darryn Peterson who first ever offer was X, should be top 5 if not best in his class.
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 12:38 AM   #114
TheRealMick
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 811
TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
I think there is a perception among a lot of fans that since there are over 1500 players who have entered the portal, there must be hundreds who are capable of starting on top 50 teams. That's just not true. I have been tracking rebounders for weeks now, and the list of guys who are simply above average for the 4/5 position is only around 20. There aren't that many starting caliber player out there, and every team is competing for them.
You keep leaving out over 75% of portal have little or no playing time to date. Stop acting like y’all don’t understand what he’s saying. We could’ve upgraded a little better than what we did. I’ll take Tari, Harvey, and Gabe over what we added and I thought we needed to upgrade from guys we lost. KD Johnson and Isaiah Miller along with trying convince Williams return should’ve been main goals
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 01:43 AM   #115
sedziobs
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 1,788
sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMick View Post
You keep leaving out over 75% of portal have little or no playing time to date. Stop acting like y’all don’t understand what he’s saying. We could’ve upgraded a little better than what we did. I’ll take Tari, Harvey, and Gabe over what we added and I thought we needed to upgrade from guys we lost. KD Johnson and Isaiah Miller along with trying convince Williams return should’ve been main goals
Transfers with little or no playing time are going to step in and start right away for top 50 teams? I don't think that's very common. There might be a dozen guys like that. The threshold I use to evaluate players using stats is 15 mpg. Tari cleared that. Harvey didn't go to a top 50 team. Gabe is going to a team with a new coach and decimated roster (rare for a top 50) so maybe he will start.

We got one player who has already been a top 50 starter (Newman), a player who seems primed to develop into one (Oby), and a good experienced role player (Koval). All three of those guys are elite in one area, which is the type of player Houston has been bringing in the last several years. Isaiah Miller and Keith Williams decided to go pro, I don't think you can blame Wes for that. We could still get KD Johnson or another upgrade.

There are 75+ p6 programs going after top transfers. I doubt there are hundreds of players better than the trio we got. We didn't do as well as some major programs, but it's still a solid transfer class.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 08:47 AM   #116
waterhead
Senior Moderator
 
waterhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 9,035
waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskenyon4 View Post
Why ignore the Koval stats against better competition while at Central Arkansas? Pick a lane and stay with it.

In 30 days Wes has done a 'B' or so job with the roster, and by all accounts done an 'A' job in everything else. Reaching out to former players, trying to inject energy and pushing for 3pt contest at a midnight madness, etc.

Mick walked into a dumpster fire, and Wes is only walking into less of a scolding one. If anything, Wes is almost on even ground, he's recruiting in the AAC. We all know the phenomenal job Mick did to pull us to a relevancy and then success, it took years. We can't ignore Wes starting this job weeks later than we all wanted from a recruiting stand point. All the time we kept complaining about the indecision and Cunningham, is not Miller's fault.

No one here is in the know enough to know enough about the roster make up, but there's no reason to not trust Wes for now.

We had 4 players, and now this team I hope can compete. I don't expect big things this year, and hope for much bigger in year 2-3. Only time will tell.
Some of Wes's decisions were obvious and some we will have to wait and see. We don't know how much of his decision making came down to things like balancing classes, getting guys with experience in the system, coaches thoughts on future potential, getting some young guys to put in development, stabilizing roster before swinging for the fence, holes in our roster, player mentality or work ethic, immediate success vs sustained success, etc etc etc.

Wes made pretty clear his goals and he knows he has to do well here to keep a job or to get a better job. If we can get an impact wing scorer go to type I will have to trust the rest of his thought process was fairly deliberate.

Patience!
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:13 AM   #117
waterhead
Senior Moderator
 
waterhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 9,035
waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDW79 View Post
No, I initially lumped them all together for coming from a school in North Carolina.

.
Well that's not exactly true. You made a point to (tie) Newman to UNCG as well as Roberts. When Newman came from Clemson and Roberts from IU. Your point was not so much about tying them to NC as it was to tie them to the SoCon. Newman never played in the SoCon and Roberts last stop was B10.

I am just clarifying. Because if you need to spin the information to make a point then maybe the point isn't as strong as you think.

I have been impressed with what Miller has done (will do) with coaching and staff period. It's a better staff than the last two coaches probably by a long shot. We all want the best recruits we can get of course so I am still looking for a big get but I will also give the guy the benefit of the doubt on how he decided to fill and build the roster. Some of the intangibles he is looking for don't exist in all players. We will have to wait and see if the value of those intangibles are worth more than skirting them to get a more skilled player.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:57 AM   #118
kskenyon4
Elite Member
 
kskenyon4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 504
kskenyon4 is on a distinguished road
One note about Newman and transferring to a 'small fish' in UNCG. He is literally from the heart of Greensboro, hometown. He talked in that hour long interview others had posted about how special home is to him and how much he missed and loved Greensboro. So let's not pretend that didn't played a major role in a decision to leave Clemson for it.
kskenyon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 10:00 AM   #119
MDW79
Senior Member
 
MDW79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 417
MDW79 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Well that's not exactly true. You made a point to (tie) Newman to UNCG as well as Roberts. When Newman came from Clemson and Roberts from IU. Your point was not so much about tying them to NC as it was to tie them to the SoCon. Newman never played in the SoCon and Roberts last stop was B10.
John Newman was a UNCG commit was he not?

Miller took 4 kids from UNCG (Koval, McGinnis, Hensley and Newman). 3 of them were already on the roster and the other was already commited (Newman).

Mike Roberts was a UNCG assistant was he not?

He was there from 2011-2019 and was the Assistant Head Coach. His last job at Indiana wasn't even as a coach it was an adminstrative role. He was the assistant AD.

I don't think I was being dishonest at all with using the word ties. He took 4 kids with ties to UNCG, and he took 3 coaches with ties to UNCG. None of this is any way untrue. In fact, I was careful to use the word "ties" for the very reasons you just described.

Tell me if this statement is true or not: 4 players that were going to be on UNCG roster in '21 are now going to be on UC's roster in '21.

The only reason I used North Carolina as a whole was to include the recent Wake transfer (Aguama) They're all connected to the state of North Carolina.

PS I won't comment any further about whether this is the right move or not. I've made my opinions known.
__________________
"These refs certainly aren't doing us any favors tonight, Dan."

Last edited by MDW79; 05-14-2021 at 10:07 AM.
MDW79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 10:09 AM   #120
TheRealMick
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 811
TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskenyon4 View Post
One note about Newman and transferring to a 'small fish' in UNCG. He is literally from the heart of Greensboro, hometown. He talked in that hour long interview others had posted about how special home is to him and how much he missed and loved Greensboro. So let's not pretend that didn't played a major role in a decision to leave Clemson for it.
Gtfoh, the man literally left before ever stepping foot on campus or workout
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., - All material on this Cincinnati Bearcat discussion forum is strictly for entertainment purposes only. This site and any pages within are in no way affiliated with the University of Cincinnati. Any images, copyrights, or trademarks used on this site are used under the "Fair Use Provision" of the Copyright Act for purposes of comment, criticism, and news reporting.