Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 07-07-2021, 12:40 PM   #21
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
He can't really shoot well (so not much of a SG) so I would think more of a 3 (sf) but I guess it doesn't matter that much. He will be on the wing. If he starts at the 2 JD will have to play the 3 to keep a shooter out there. I don't see any way we can go with a lineup of Ado, Ody, Davenport, Newman, and Dejulius. There is just not enough shooting or scoring out there.

If he starts at the 3 we can have two shooters on the floor with Davenport at the 4 and MAW/Mason/McGinnis at the 2. DD and Mike are not great shooters either so something has to give.

When Koval/Lakhin is in we could probably play Newman at the 2 and Davenport at the 3 with Ody at the 4.
Hensley at the 4 may end up being a legitimate 3 point shooting threat as well. We could try to always keep at least one shooter on the floor at the 4/5 (Koval, Lakhin, JD, Hensley). Also a chance that DDJ and/or Saunders will improve from three.

There was an interview with a player (Mason if I recall correctly) not too long ago I saw on youtube where he said that Saunders has really been working on and improving from three.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 01:24 PM   #22
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Hensley at the 4 may end up being a legitimate 3 point shooting threat as well. We could try to always keep at least one shooter on the floor at the 4/5 (Koval, Lakhin, JD, Hensley). Also a chance that DDJ and/or Saunders will improve from three.

There was an interview with a player (Mason if I recall correctly) not too long ago I saw on youtube where he said that Saunders has really been working on and improving from three.
I agree with keeping one shooter on the floor at the 4/5. Ado and Ody is a tough combo unless you need stops. Especially if you have Newman on the floor. Again, if you need stops I think these guys are great. If you need points...not so much.

I also agree about Mikey. He was already improving from his junior to senior year in HS and then he worked hard last year on it as well. DD won't do as bad as he did last year ever again. They will be better but probably not great. Both should be serviceable shooters for PG's.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 06:49 AM   #23
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I agree with keeping one shooter on the floor at the 4/5. Ado and Ody is a tough combo unless you need stops. Especially if you have Newman on the floor. Again, if you need stops I think these guys are great. If you need points...not so much.

I also agree about Mikey. He was already improving from his junior to senior year in HS and then he worked hard last year on it as well. DD won't do as bad as he did last year ever again. They will be better but probably not great. Both should be serviceable shooters for PG's.
Last year I was one of the few that kept touting DD's shooting abilities despite his woes, but now I feel like he has a large enough sample size that I should accept that he's just a mediocre outside shooter.

Outside of a 13-game OOC stretch during his 2nd year at Michigan where the whole team was playing out of their minds and DD shot 44% from deep, he's been a 21% 3-point shooter for the rest of his career.

I'd be elated if DD and Saunders shot a combined 30% from 3 next season.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 07:35 AM   #24
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
Last year I was one of the few that kept touting DD's shooting abilities despite his woes, but now I feel like he has a large enough sample size that I should accept that he's just a mediocre outside shooter.

Outside of a 13-game OOC stretch during his 2nd year at Michigan where the whole team was playing out of their minds and DD shot 44% from deep, he's been a 21% 3-point shooter for the rest of his career.

I'd be elated if DD and Saunders shot a combined 30% from 3 next season.
Yah I was thinking DD would come around as well. But if Saunders has really improved his 3 point shooting it's going to be tough to hold him out of the starting lineup by mid season. DD needs to shoot at least in the high 20's and I am starting to think Mikey can get in the low 30's.

They both offer some options. Mikey speed and hopefully will be a better shooter. DD can rebound well and has a decent floater and perhaps a little better with assists right now. Could be close to a 20-20 split if Mikey is a better shooter.
Old 07-08-2021, 09:14 AM   #25
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Really hoping for one of the following 2 players (or both) to step up and have a great season.

Madsen/McGinnis

It would be great if we can get some volume shooting but I am hoping for a bit more play making as well from the 2 spot. With a lack of play makers we are going to need one of these guys to show some of that. I think MAW is what he is and he is solid but hasn't been what I would call a play maker.

I think Hensley is probably buried on the depth chart at the 4 and the 3 so I would expect him to be a year out from impactful play making. I don't see a huge gap at the 2 spot between MAW/Madsen/McGinnis.

Mason has obviously been working out and is pretty jacked up at this point and his vertical is off the charts. He was a PG in HS so he should have decent enough handles to make plays from the 2. His deep ball is not a question mark. If he can step up the D game...he's got very good potential.

After watching some more video on McGinnis. His shot form and set up looks pretty good from deep. His body control and athleticism won't hold him back from finishing drives. A little light on ball skills but not terrible. Not super quick but silky smooth. Seems to have a little more of the "play maker" style to his game. Pretty good instincts and timing.
Old 07-12-2021, 06:38 PM   #26
Tbone1962

Tbone1962 is on a distinguished road
Does anyone known when the "preferred walk-ons " are allowed to be with the rest of the team? I assume they are not allowed to participate in the early drills, weightlifting, and overall team prep. At what point are walk-ons shown as part of a teams roster ?
Tbone1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:10 AM   #27
MDW79

MDW79 is on a distinguished road
Question for some of the recruiting experts: Do you think we'll sign someone for the 2022 class here in the next month or so?

I don't have a 247 account and I don't follow this stuff all that close. All I can see is who we've offered and whether they're "warm" or "cool" or whatever. It's hard for me to tell who we might actually be close on.

I hope we get someone decent here. I'm jonesing for some news. It looks like a lot of dominos are starting to fall and seeing Egss land a top 50 kid yesterday, after landing a top 100 kid a few weeks ago, has me starved for a decent commitment.

Anyone got an idea on who I can keep my eye out on?
Old 07-13-2021, 01:44 PM   #28
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone1962 View Post
Does anyone known when the "preferred walk-ons " are allowed to be with the rest of the team? I assume they are not allowed to participate in the early drills, weightlifting, and overall team prep. At what point are walk-ons shown as part of a teams roster ?
Chase already has film working out with players! I think he might push for heavy minutes this year at PG! He’s without a doubt probably your best scoring option out of all the guards
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 01:46 PM   #29
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDW79 View Post
Question for some of the recruiting experts: Do you think we'll sign someone for the 2022 class here in the next month or so?

I don't have a 247 account and I don't follow this stuff all that close. All I can see is who we've offered and whether they're "warm" or "cool" or whatever. It's hard for me to tell who we might actually be close on.

I hope we get someone decent here. I'm jonesing for some news. It looks like a lot of dominos are starting to fall and seeing Egss land a top 50 kid yesterday, after landing a top 100 kid a few weeks ago, has me starved for a decent commitment.

Doubt it unless Bond signs with us! More than likely closer to when the basketball season opens back up. I think Wes missed boat not offering McMillan.
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 02:32 PM   #30
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDW79 View Post

I am not a recruiting expert. I don't have any inside info to offer really other than a lot of offers are out there right now. I would not trust the "interest level" on 247 as I don't find it reliable at all. Not sure we are getting that close on any guys now but July evaluations are going on.

The one guy that we are in on that seems to have some legit mutual interest would be Sage Tolentino. Don't know if a decision is expected since he de-committed recently. Rumor is he wants to stay closer to Cincinnati but there are a lot of great schools in the region. I would put this one at 50-50 right now as a best guess. That's not bad in the recruiting world.

I know Leon Bond was a high interest of ours but Wes is getting in late on building some of these new relationships and there is other major interest. I would put this at 25-33% as a best guess.

Outside of that a lot of offers out there but not hearing a lot of heat on anyone. I don't think I would put a % higher than 25% on any/many of them at the moment.