Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 09-24-2021, 11:30 AM   #71
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
Skillings could possibly be our biggest recruiting win since we snagged Jarron in the c/o 2016.

What an exciting time to be a Bearcat fan.
Yah…it’s been a helluva year with a lot of good and great news. I wish they were all like this where the next big announcement is always only a couple of weeks away . Lol!!! That’s an exaggeration but it doesn’t seem far off either
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 11:42 AM   #72
waterhead
Senior Moderator

So many ways this year could have gone off the rails but we came out of it looking like a million bucks. Fickle could have entertained other offers and we could have been with a new coach vying for a realignment spot. Instead everyone returns and we are top 10.

The issue with Brannen could have ended a lot of different bad ways but emerging out of that pile with Wes has been nothing but positive and who knows the first recruit after the B12 announcement is a great sign so far.

Stars are aligning again for this program!
Old 09-29-2021, 06:36 PM   #73
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Yah…it’s been a helluva year with a lot of good and great news. I wish they were all like this where the next big announcement is always only a couple of weeks away . Lol!!! That’s an exaggeration but it doesn’t seem far off either
Well this time it only took a week to get the next possible news drop. Another good BB recruit looks evident.

If we can manage a win on Saturday against ND there won't be anything to complain about for a long while.
Old 09-30-2021, 01:55 PM   #74
sirthought

sirthought is on a distinguished road
A third recruit for next season?
sirthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 03:50 PM   #75
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
A third recruit for next season?
Yes rumor is crystal balls to UC for Josh Reed

A 3rd scholly for next year

Meaning we are -1 without the Banks scholly and based on the last two recruits being similar in height and position I would think that's a done deal. We will have to find room with Banks or portal. I would guess Banks for now.

Tolentino
Skillings
Reed
Old 09-30-2021, 06:20 PM   #76
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Watching the highlights and based on reports it seems that Skillings is viewed as more of a SG who can play SF and Reed is a SF who could play as an undersized PF, so though they may be similar heights (Reed may actually be taller than listed), their positions don't actually overlap much.

As for who were losing at the end of the season, I'd bet on either Banks, Lakhin or DDJ (he may have already let Wes know he doesn't plan on returning as super senior).
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 11:15 AM   #77
skyblade
Epic Member

The addition of Josh Reed makes us the #13 recruiting class for 2022 at this point in time. With only 3 recruits, it wasn't done by gaming the system by getting tons of recruits either. Our lowest ranked recruit is Sage at #160, Reed is #149 and Skillings #89.

It looks like Wes's primary attribute he recruits for is size/length. If we assume that Skillings was recruited to play SG and Reed SF, he's trying to build quite a big team. It will be interesting to see how Wes does this year, since Brannen recruited for quickness and got quite a few smaller players who don't seem to fit Wes's preferred mold. One test of a good coach is how he adjust his scheme to fit his players, Brannen blew that test (along with pretty much all the others), Cronin wasn't great at it either, hopefully Wes excels like he has everywhere else thus far.

Reed looks like a bigger (and perhaps a bit more athletic) Jarron Cumberland. He doesn't have great athleticism, but he has a good shot and ball skills and the body to go inside and bang. I wouldn't be surprised to see him play as an undersized 4 at times.
Old 10-04-2021, 05:35 PM   #78
skyblade
Epic Member

Cincy Slangin' has a couple of excellent podcasts where they talk to a local (to the recruited player) scout about our new recruits, there is one on Skillings and one on Reed.

Reed's breakdown is kind of a bigger Jarron. May struggle with defense (especially early on), but a guy you put in the game to get you buckets. Plays PG at times for his team (has also played PF), good (but not great) handle, good at getting his own shot, soild passer and good shooter. The scout thinks he projects as a SF or SG, but also said he may struggle defending smaller guys, especially as an underclassman and his best way to get on the floor as a freshman may be as a PF. Physical guy who will bang on the interior, even though he's a little undersized.

Skillings breakdown is more of a Jacob Evans. Very long (over 7-foot wingspan), athletic, can defend pretty much any position or at least the 2-4, nice looking stroke from 3. But not a great ball handler and not a good passer (at least not yet). As a freshman he's probably a 3-and-D guy, not a guy you want taking more than one dribble most of the time. Because of his length, athleticism, defense and 3-point shooting, he has NBA potential depending on how he develops.
Old 10-05-2021, 01:15 PM   #79
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
The addition of Josh Reed makes us the #13 recruiting class for 2022 at this point in time. With only 3 recruits, it wasn't done by gaming the system by getting tons of recruits either. Our lowest ranked recruit is Sage at #160, Reed is #149 and Skillings #89.

It looks like Wes's primary attribute he recruits for is size/length. If we assume that Skillings was recruited to play SG and Reed SF, he's trying to build quite a big team. It will be interesting to see how Wes does this year, since Brannen recruited for quickness and got quite a few smaller players who don't seem to fit Wes's preferred mold. One test of a good coach is how he adjust his scheme to fit his players, Brannen blew that test (along with pretty much all the others), Cronin wasn't great at it either, hopefully Wes excels like he has everywhere else thus far.

Reed looks like a bigger (and perhaps a bit more athletic) Jarron Cumberland. He doesn't have great athleticism, but he has a good shot and ball skills and the body to go inside and bang. I wouldn't be surprised to see him play as an undersized 4 at times.
Passing lanes are going to be a btch in the future. And getting shots off on the perimeter for opposing teams. We are definitely getting lengthy. But I don't think we are going to be super skilled. I like the Newman, Reed, Skillings types (Even Hensley) but we are going to need some big time bucket getters as well at some point. 80-90 % of the work is done. We need some unmistakable scoring pop.

Skillings seems to be the type I would like to see more of.
Old 10-05-2021, 06:29 PM   #80
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Passing lanes are going to be a btch in the future. And getting shots off on the perimeter for opposing teams. We are definitely getting lengthy. But I don't think we are going to be super skilled. I like the Newman, Reed, Skillings types (Even Hensley) but we are going to need some big time bucket getters as well at some point. 80-90 % of the work is done. We need some unmistakable scoring pop.

Skillings seems to be the type I would like to see more of.
Per the scout on Cincy Slangin' podcast, Reed is skilled offensively and a bucket getter. But yeah, overall we are trending much more towards Cronin type recruits: guys with size, length and/or athleticism but perhaps lacking in basketball skills. I'm okay with it though, play great defense, rebound and hope some shots go in, it's the Cincinnati way.

Also the quality of recruits is a bit higher than Cronin's. For the most part the relatively unskilled offensive players (like Skillings) Wes has gotten can still knock down 3's. 3-and-D is a lot better than please don't touch the ball-and-D.

Hopefully the scoring pop for 2022 comes from guys currently of the roster.