Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2013, 12:27 PM   #201
XUArizona

XUArizona is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
We're on the road to nowhere right now, so we can either continue down this path or make a bold move and change our future.
Yes XU grad and fan, but I disagree on this. I like some of your young players and some will really pan out well for you. You can't piece together a team with JCs and transfers. I think you need a good core of 4 year players who can be leaders.

Both XU and UC lack those guys right now and it shows. Get some shooters, some high IQ guys, and combine that with this class and you will be fine. The AAC is top heavy but not overly bad. Temple will be back and UConn and Memphis will be there to keep the conference up for you.

Like I said in my first post, you are today where XU was 12 months ago. Hell, I don't XU is that great but we are back on the rise with this class and next years class which is very good.
XUArizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:30 PM   #202
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by XUArizona View Post
Yes XU grad and fan, but I disagree on this. I like some of your young players and some will really pan out well for you. You can't piece together a team with JCs and transfers. I think you need a good core of 4 year players who can be leaders.

Both XU and UC lack those guys right now and it shows. Get some shooters, some high IQ guys, and combine that with this class and you will be fine. The AAC is top heavy but not overly bad. Temple will be back and UConn and Memphis will be there to keep the conference up for you.

Like I said in my first post, you are today where XU was 12 months ago. Hell, I don't XU is that great but we are back on the rise with this class and next years class which is very good.
Bro, just realize that as an XU fan and grad your opinion of anything Bearcats related means nothing to me. Worry about your own team.

PS - this is what's it's come to folks, we're now getting sympathy from XU fans
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:38 PM   #203
#BearcatNation
Epic Member

#BearcatNation is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Bro, just realize that as an XU fan and grad your opinion of anything Bearcats related means nothing to me. Worry about your own team.

Calm down. I see where he's coming from. I refuse to say this team is "headed nowhere" when we have 3 freshmen playing now, 2 redshirting, and 3 coming in next year. We are certainly going to be rebuilding for a couple years. Do I love Cronin? No. Is he the right fit? I don't know. I personally say give him a couple years with the youngsters coming in. If we don't see any improvement, IE no sweet 16s by 2016-ish, then maybe we need to look in a new direction. Now, if we tank and for some crazy reason finish around 16-16, then maybe a firing on the spot isn't a bad idea. But these guys are too young to just throw in the towel.
#BearcatNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #204
Bearcat04
Elite Member

Bearcat04 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I hate the budget argument especially when no one ever has any facts to back up their blanket statements. First of all UC has enough money to fund their programs and be competitive. Our bball program can and will make money if the fan base is energized by the product on display. You can't put a mediocre product on the floor and expect that the fans are going to give you tremendous support. Up until this season we were in a big conference too, so we should have been keeping up with the Jones' as well.

College BBall much like football is mostly about coaching and leadership. You can have a huge athletic budget and a poor team. A good coach is a good coach is a good coach. Bring excitement back to UC bball and you'll bring the fans back, regardless of the arena or anything else. Bring the fans back and you bring some dollars back into the program.

The money is there and the promise to earn more money is there. What's not there right now is the excitement or buy in from the fan base and that's because the level of success necessary to generate the buzz isn't there.

We're on the road to nowhere right now, so we can either continue down this path or make a bold move and change our future.
I couldn't have said it better myself! They have the money to fund good, competitive programs... but not hang with the elite.

The money is there? Really? If the money is there why are they still playing in an outdated dump of an arena? Why are they having to schedule the 300+ RPI games instead of spending $100,000 on quality games like OSU? Why wasn't there any money when Mick wanted to upgrade his staff years ago?

No blanket statement regarding budgets, just the facts. Last year Arizona spent $1,964,316 more on basketball and their athletic department brought in $36,421,884 more than UC. Hell, DePaul puts more money into their basketball program than UC does.
Bearcat04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #205
ralph1950
Epic Member

ralph1950 will become famous soon enough
For the most part the comments are a complete over reaction to Saturday's loss. Huggins was 8-8 vs XU and lost to them twice ranked number 1, the two most embarrassing losses in UC basketball history.

If I remember correctly, XU won the fight game by 23 points and UC finished the season in the Sweet 16. It takes awhile for the freshman to get it so show some patience.
ralph1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:23 PM   #206
Cpaw

Cpaw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph1950 View Post
For the most part the comments are a complete over reaction to Saturday's loss. Huggins was 8-8 vs XU and lost to them twice ranked number 1, the two most embarrassing losses in UC basketball history.

If I remember correctly, XU won the fight game by 23 points and UC finished the season in the Sweet 16. It takes awhile for the freshman to get it so show some patience.
Ralph, I don't always agree with you but you are spot on here. We want to hit the panic button way to soon, lets take a deep breath and regroup tomorrow.

Cpaw

Fortune Favors the Bold
Cpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:32 PM   #207
Scheids21
Epic Member

Scheids21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Relax man. You embarrass the fanbase saying stuff like that.
Scheids21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:35 PM   #208
XUArizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat04 View Post
I couldn't have said it better myself! They have the money to fund good, competitive programs... but not hang with the elite.

The money is there? Really? If the money is there why are they still playing in an outdated dump of an arena? Why are they having to schedule the 300+ RPI games instead of spending $100,000 on quality games like OSU? Why wasn't there any money when Mick wanted to upgrade his staff years ago?

No blanket statement regarding budgets, just the facts. Last year Arizona spent $1,964,316 more on basketball and their athletic department brought in $36,421,884 more than UC. Hell, DePaul puts more money into their basketball program than UC does.
This is mostly because people attend these games. My 4 years at XU were A-10 years and early years at that. We still got more than decent attendance, averaging 7-8k at the Gardens. We now get 8-9k and more at the Cintas. Go to your basketball games and support UC with your wallet and facilities will improve as your overall coffers improve.

40k students attend UC every year. There is no reason you can't have 10k at basketball games.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:37 PM   #209
XUArizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheids21 View Post
Relax man. You embarrass the fanbase saying stuff like that.
I just ignored it. You can't help the jump off the bridge types. Like I said, you just whiffed on a few class just like XU did and will take a year for this and your next to get here before massive improve is seen. Just don't make it like XU's last year with 17 wins.