Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2021, 12:53 PM   #1
waterhead
Senior Moderator
 
waterhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 9,035
waterhead is on a distinguished road
2021-22 Roster

An extremely weird year. A lot of speculation about how many open spots we will have for recruits. The short answer is a lot. Hopefully it's not too many more than that. Damn near the entire roster has been speculated about.

Some almost sure outs...

Williams
Harvey
Rap

Reason to think...

Vogt
Dou
Gabe (and if Gabe maybe Mason)
DD
Tari
Davenport (because apparently one guy heard something)

Leaving us with the no speculation heard so far crowd...

Mikey
MAW
Lakhin

The max is 9 here with no transfers leaving 4 spots (actually 5 if Vogt doesn't count against). Seems like Dou leaving rumors could make some sense. Who knows on the opt outs Gabe and DD but seems DD likely to come back. I would hope Gabe seeing his twin getting some good run will bring him back.

Tari has questionable body language at times and shows a lot of frustration but I hope he sees the potential at the 4. Listening to JD I would count him in.

Hoping to see at least this

Lakhin
Tari
Davenport
Gabe
Mason
MAW
DD
Mikey

Over-Under at 8 roster spots filled give or take 2?

waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 01:10 PM   #2
waterhead
Senior Moderator
 
waterhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 9,035
waterhead is on a distinguished road
The crazy thing here is that after only 2 years we could see every single Cronin hold over gone. Keith and Dou are all that is left. I can't see any chance of Williams coming back and the odds for Dou are probably less than 50% (from rumors). That is an insane roster turnover.

Add to that Sorolla, Rap and Harvey also abandoned ship. That will be 11 Cronin players out and 3 Brannen players totaling 1 more than a full roster turnover in 2 years. And that is only if no more Brannen players leave early.

For program sake, CJB sake, and all of our mental health I am hoping the turnover trend stops here.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 01:44 PM   #3
Queens_NYC
Elite Member
 
Queens_NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,227
Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
I'd probably take the push at 8 returnees, but if I'm forced to take a harder stance, I'd probably take the under at 7.

DD
Mikey
JD
Mason
MAW

all seem very likely to return from my perspective

Tari
Lahkin
Gabe

I think one of these 3 will probably end up closer to home next season.

I can't see a good reason for any of the other 5 to return.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 01:50 PM   #4
skyblade
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 1,482
skyblade is on a distinguished road
I think there is a 75+% one of vogt/diarra return. Definitely not both. Vogt has the same pro prospects as he did last year and he came back last year. If vogt doesn't come back and we don't get an instant impact transfer- which I would bet we don't - diarra would be starter by default and that would probably bring him back.

JD was Harvey's close friend/workout buddy this summer, that's where the rumor comes from. Not that it necessarily means anything.

I give 50+% chance at least one of Eason, Gabe or a surprise transfer leaves.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 01:59 PM   #5
Queens_NYC
Elite Member
 
Queens_NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,227
Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
I think there is a 75+% one of vogt/diarra return. Definitely not both. Vogt has the same pro prospects as he did last year and he came back last year. If vogt doesn't come back and we don't get an instant impact transfer- which I would bet we don't - diarra would be starter by default and that would probably bring him back.

JD was Harvey's close friend/workout buddy this summer, that's where the rumor comes from. Not that it necessarily means anything.

I give 50+% chance at least one of Eason, Gabe or a surprise transfer leaves.
I guess the reason why I wouldn't come back if I were Vogt is because due to his body type/size he's a great injury risk and that he likely isn't looking at a long pro career for that reason alone.

Unless the prospects of earning a living overseas (as an average college basketball player) have completely dwindled due to the pandemic or he has an aversion to leaving the county, it would make sense to try and take advantage of a professional pay day abroad at the earliest opportunity.

He obviously isn't NBA/G-League quality at the moment, so if that's his goal, I guess another year at UC would put him closer to that, but just based on how this year went for him on the court, it's hard for me to see him returning to a team that did not do anything positive for his development this past season.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 02:04 PM   #6
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nati
Posts: 3,776
TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
I did laugh that you put Rap on the list lol...

I don't see vogt returning, dou returning or harvey returning.

Would really like to see Gabe return and tari stay. I'd be okay if dou returned.

Dd will be back. Which solidifies the pg spot with him and sanders. Maw can fill in there as well.

Harvey was in prime spot to see some minutes, kind of a shame there. We need to find a wing and some bigs.
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 02:08 PM   #7
cincrulz11
Epic Member
 
cincrulz11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,311
cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
We can still find a serviceable freshman for this class. Brannen didn't get here until April his first year and still brought in MAW, Davenport, and Harvey in that first class. There is still time for this class to be ok.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 02:22 PM   #8
waterhead
Senior Moderator
 
waterhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 9,035
waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
We can still find a serviceable freshman for this class. Brannen didn't get here until April his first year and still brought in MAW, Davenport, and Harvey in that first class. There is still time for this class to be ok.
That is fair. With the amount of transfers we might even see a few de-commits from HS kids. It's not optimal but Brannen needs to be on his toes here. Figure out what has worked and what hasn't for transfers. I like his evaluation of HS talent so far. Hopefully the roster transition does not hold him back.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 02:39 PM   #9
cincrulz11
Epic Member
 
cincrulz11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,311
cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
That is fair. With the amount of transfers we might even see a few de-commits from HS kids. It's not optimal but Brannen needs to be on his toes here. Figure out what has worked and what hasn't for transfers. I like his evaluation of HS talent so far. Hopefully the roster transition does not hold him back.

I'd really like to see us get Bryson Spell. He's not a high recruit by any means but it looks like he just kept getting better and better. 6'9 dead eye shooter thats a true stretch 4. Have Eason watch tape of Obi from last season and lets get it.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 03:10 PM   #10
cincyguy13
Epic Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 4,633
cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
The crazy thing here is that after only 2 years we could see every single Cronin hold over gone. Keith and Dou are all that is left. I can't see any chance of Williams coming back and the odds for Dou are probably less than 50% (from rumors). That is an insane roster turnover.

Add to that Sorolla, Rap and Harvey also abandoned ship. That will be 11 Cronin players out and 3 Brannen players totaling 1 more than a full roster turnover in 2 years. And that is only if no more Brannen players leave early.

For program sake, CJB sake, and all of our mental health I am hoping the turnover trend stops here.
Iíd rather all the cronin guys be gone. I love those guys but the sooner they are gone, the sooner we see if this is going work. If we still have guys he didnít recruit, he can always fall back on that. Letís see if this thing works or not.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., - All material on this Cincinnati Bearcat discussion forum is strictly for entertainment purposes only. This site and any pages within are in no way affiliated with the University of Cincinnati. Any images, copyrights, or trademarks used on this site are used under the "Fair Use Provision" of the Copyright Act for purposes of comment, criticism, and news reporting.