Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 07:57 AM   #11
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Bcatfollower is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
Another game against a quality opponent, another game in which that opponent dictates to us how we're going to play on the offensive side of the ball. Oh well, this is just what UC hoops has become. We're mediocre and most are cool with it. I mean, we're just little old UC anyways. We shouldn't expect to be great, just be happy with what we've got because this is the best we can do. Sit back and watch us become the 2nd best basketball program in our own city. If you don't think that's true you're lying to yourself, look at the last 8 years and tell me who's better. Look at the future and the recruits that are lined up.

This is what our program has become and many of you couldn't be happier with it. Whatever, f**k it. I'll just get bashed for being negative or told that I'm being unreasonable.

I think my favorite part of last night was our head "coach" once again throwing our players under the bus in the postgame. What was yours??
We will be the third best program once NKU gets rolling.... been to their arena yet?
Old 12-15-2013, 10:15 AM   #12
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
Another game against a quality opponent, another game in which that opponent dictates to us how we're going to play on the offensive side of the ball. Oh well, this is just what UC hoops has become. We're mediocre and most are cool with it. I mean, we're just little old UC anyways. We shouldn't expect to be great, just be happy with what we've got because this is the best we can do. Sit back and watch us become the 2nd best basketball program in our own city. If you don't think that's true you're lying to yourself, look at the last 8 years and tell me who's better. Look at the future and the recruits that are lined up.

This is what our program has become and many of you couldn't be happier with it. Whatever, f**k it. I'll just get bashed for being negative or told that I'm being unreasonable.

I think my favorite part of last night was our head "coach" once again throwing our players under the bus in the postgame. What was yours??
LMAO!!! I'm not going to bash you but I do have to ask you what criteria your using to grade our program. If your looking at the shellacking we took last night I certainly understand. While I'm very disappointed in the teams performance last night I refuse to judge program after one game.

The difficult task of rebuilding this program under the circumstances was incredible. The finances,facilities and now League have been tremendous obstacles. I find it humorous that many people want to post how inept MC is as a coach when they couldn't run a practice much less a program. The reality is MC was affordable and some one who wanted to be here and had success at Murray State and was a assistant under two HOF coaches. He was not a established big time coach who could recruit simply by showing up in a living room. He has succeeded in elevating our program to a competitive level and has a CHANCE to take it to the next step. That being National title contenders. It obviously won't happen this year and quite frankly I never expected it to. Anyone looking at the talent level of this team from the outset had to know that. The question I have, is MC capable of getting better players. I think as he continues to grow as a big time coach he will be able to take it to the next level. Without facillities,finances and league it will be difficult. The fan base has left the building. You can debate why all day long but until Butts are back in the seats we won't be scheduling big name opponents consistently. We also won't be getting much financial help from University until the Football program has been elevated. As unfortunate as it is football is driving the money train. Without money upgrading the facilities is probably going to be awhile. The bigger obstacle is until League affiliation is settled it will be difficult accomplish our goals.

Those wanting to replace MC or think solving the teams problems are as simple as teaching a better offensive style are in another world. MC needs better athletes. He is responsible for getting them. Hopefully his success continues and his stature grows allowing him to get the better players. Using the resources at his disposal and what he inherited in my opinion he has done a good job. Like you I want more but until we overcome the issues I mentioned above it will be a slow process. Frankly the University athletic department doesn't have the finances or facilities to hire a established coach with the name recognition to make it happen quickly. If you think they do name them. I would challenge anyone on here to find one person in the industry who doesn't think MC hasn't done a remarkable job under the circumstances.

All that said,as a frustrated fan with very little coaching experience I would like to see more of the freshmen going forward in hopes they will develope as the season progresses. I really hope we can make the tourney but with very little post presence I really think we are NIT bound. Hopefully next year will be better. Sometimes you need to take a step back to take two steps forward. I think this is one of those situations.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:26 AM   #13
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
I don't see this team in the tournament...

Such a shame that a great player in sk is wasted with nothing around him.

Unfortunately the future doesn't look bright either. Maybe troys class will pan out but that'syears away.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #14
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
I don't see this team in the tournament...

Such a shame that a great player in sk is wasted with nothing around him.

Unfortunately the future doesn't look bright either. Maybe troys class will pan out but that'syears away.
legend I don 't see them in tourney either. But as true fans we'll go to the games, cheer for the team and wait until next year.I feel for SK As well but he is very one dimensional and hopefully he has a quality degree from a good university. He'll probably make some nice coin in Europe.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #15
JumpinJack5
Epic Member

JumpinJack5 is on a distinguished road
Too early to say on the tourney. Two years ago after the brawl, I would've said no way we make the tourney. Last year, it looked like we had a really nice team that could possibly make it back to the Sweet 16 and the wheels fell of a bit. Still lots of time and lots of young players trying to find their roles.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #16
Scheids21
Epic Member

Scheids21 is on a distinguished road
They'll continue to improve so I can't say they won't make the tournament; the problem is they'll be worse next year. I have been behind Cronin from day one for rebuilding the program, and the last couple years I've been in "wait and see" mode to determine if he can take us to the next level. I'll say this: If he doesn't get an assistant to run the offense or somehow learn a new offense he is done. It has been awful and its not getting any better. If not, we will be a borderline bubble team for the rest of eternity. I've always liked Mick and been grateful to him, but without an offense we will never take the next step and its looking more and more like he refuses to fix the offense.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:07 AM   #17
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheids21 View Post
They'll continue to improve so I can't say they won't make the tournament; the problem is they'll be worse next year. I have been behind Cronin from day one for rebuilding the program, and the last couple years I've been in "wait and see" mode to determine if he can take us to the next level. I'll say this: If he doesn't get an assistant to run the offense or somehow learn a new offense he is done. It has been awful and its not getting any better. If not, we will be a borderline bubble team for the rest of eternity. I've always liked Mick and been grateful to him, but without an offense we will never take the next step and its looking more and more like he refuses to fix the offense.
Well said. I feel the same way. I am also concerned with the lack of player development. Its virtually non existent.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:13 AM   #18
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Cincinnati will be a bubble team this year, I said that before the season. I think they will be playing much better by the end of this season. Might be better if UC stops trying to post up and just go with an open offense, play Lawrence as a stretch 4 to let him attack bigger players off the bounce. Jackson is probably the only one who can do some sort of post moves, and he isn't very good.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:14 AM   #19
JumpinJack5
Epic Member

JumpinJack5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCalum08 View Post
Well said. I feel the same way. I am also concerned with the lack of player development. Its virtually non existent.
Interesting that you say this. I talked to Leonard Stokes for a few minutes when I saw him walking around downtown. He said that Mick wants nothing to do with Bob Huggins or his players, and he even refuses to run the same offense because he wants a different image (looks like the same bad offense, IMO). He said that he can honestly say that Mick hasn't improved any of the players in the program. He was especially critical of the staffs development of Yancy, which I semi-agree with.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #20
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpinJack5 View Post
Interesting that you say this. I talked to Leonard Stokes for a few minutes when I saw him walking around downtown. He said that Mick wants nothing to do with Bob Huggins or his players, and he even refuses to run the same offense because he wants a different image (looks like the same bad offense, IMO). He said that he can honestly say that Mick hasn't improved any of the players in the program. He was especially critical of the staffs development of Yancy, which I semi-agree with.
Don't buy the first part at all. Mick definitely keeps in contact with the Huggins players that he recruited. I agree that the only player who has really gotten better is Kilpatrick and I think a lot of that was on his own pure determination.

The open post motion offense Huggy ran is the best style for this type of personal.
Closed Thread