Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 01:55 AM   #411
Robert
Elite Member

Robert is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
Louisville and UConn do not have big men the caliber of New Mexico. While both are clearly more talented than UC, I would like our chances at home. If UC could beat Memphis, UConn, Louisville each once and sweep SMU, they would be a tournament lock, IMO.
They might not even have to do that much, but I would be ecstatic if they did.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:16 AM   #412
L-T
Epic Member

L-T is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
To answer your question yes, I'm happy in year 4. You point out a few bad games but how about all the HOF coaches he has beaten with less talent. There are many more good wins then losses. Since the first 4 years we have made the dance every year and have a sweet 16 appearance. Talent level is pointing up. I would also remind you SK wasn't known as a shooter when he got here either. So as far as being confident Mick could develop a shooter, he already has. Your right he isn't going to be fired and he shouldn't be. If he was we would be the laughing stock of the NCAA and he would be hired in a New York minute. I understand your feelings from a fans perspective and I'm glad you support the program but a knowledgeable athletic director your not. If you truly are a fan continue buying tickets. What we need now much more than a new coach is a upgraded arena and a end to speculation concerning are league affiliation. Mick may come up short in the recruiting arena right now but he is not often out coached. He is the up and coming young coach you want.

I also hope you understands something. I am not a Mick apologist. I have know hidden agenda when it comes to Mick I'm a fan of the program and I want a winner. Like most when Huggins was screaming obscenities and driving under the influence, when grad rates were in the toilet I wasn't screaming for his dismissal. I want a winner. I want to be in a good league so when I go to the games they are meaningful and exciting against good schools with excellent traditions. If I didn't think Mick could deliver that or I thought there was a better option we could hire I would be all for it.

One last thing. I truly understand your frustration as a long time season ticket holder. You have every right to be frustrated and upset. Between Huggins,Wyler, the BOT and the Lawyers they imposed a death penalty on the program and the fan base. Going from a great experience to what you had to endure the first 4 years and still pay for it had to be painful. Consider this, it also was painful for Mick. He worked his tail off. He endured competing in the toughest conference in the country, his sport is playing second fiddle financially to the football team, the previous administration went to sleep and missed the conference realignment making recruiting a tougher sell, he has been publicly ridiculed personally and professionally by many hiding behind their keyboards. Through all that he has brought the program back to respectability. He wants the same thing you do. A top flight program all alums and Locals can take pride in. Firing him now would be huge mistake. He has been mentored by two of the best in the business. He deserves the respect and praise from the people in this city that many outside it already give him.
Until he accomplishes something significant other than just making the NCAA and getting knocked out fairly quick.....in other words.....advancing past sweet 16, long run in top 10 or at least top 20, regular season championship, league tourney championship, top 10 recruiting classes, high seed in NCAA etc, then the fans will stay away and the program will remain stagnant. If the head coach can't inspire enough interest in the fans to support the program, then he is failing at something very important.

That being said, I loved the victory on Saturday. I really like the freshman class this year. Next year's recruits "sound" promising. So today, I'm certainly feeling better about the future. Let's just see where this season takes us. Hopefully, it doesn't take us to anything less than an NCAA bid. I'll always support the program and attend every game. I don't have to like the coach to do that. I listened to 2 guys in the row in front of me today arguing about Cronin. One obviously loved him and the other didn't. The guy who liked him was doing a lot of talking today because we performed well. For whatever reason, Mick is a polarizing coach. He has as many detractors as he does supporters, and that needs to change for this program to move forward.

More games like today will help make that happen.

Last edited by L-T; 12-29-2013 at 02:19 AM.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:26 AM   #413
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Think this thread has about run its course. Nice debate with good points on each side.

Mick could help by promoting the program more personally. I've always felt UC falls short in program promotion since "the fall." He has done pretty well helping to raise money though and with a low recruiting budget maybe he has to be more hands on but some good pr would help.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:30 AM   #414
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-T View Post
Until he accomplishes something significant other than just making the NCAA and getting knocked out fairly quick.....in other words.....advancing past sweet 16, long run in top 10 or at least top 20, regular season championship, league tourney championship, top 10 recruiting classes, high seed in NCAA etc, then the fans will stay away and the program will remain stagnant. If the head coach can't inspire enough interest in the fans to support the program, then he is failing at something very important.

That being said, I loved the victory on Saturday. I really like the freshman class this year. Next year's recruits "sound" promising. So today, I'm certainly feeling better about the future. Let's just see where this season takes us. Hopefully, it doesn't take us to anything less than an NCAA bid. I'll always support the program and attend every game. I don't have to like the coach to do that. I listened to 2 guys in the row in front of me today arguing about Cronin. One obviously loved him and the other didn't. The guy who liked him was doing a lot of talking today because we performed well. For whatever reason, Mick is a polarizing coach. He has as many detractors as he does supporters, and that needs to change for this program to move forward.

More games like today will help make that happen.
L-T I don't think changing the coach will bring out the fans. Attendance was trending down before MC took over. I think the economy is playing a huge role in the numbers not just here but across the country. Basketball takes a huge hit because it falls at the time of year holiday spending is at its highest. With the need for discretionary dollars allocated elsewhere the choice between watching at home or attending is easy.My hope is beginning with this years class and next MC will start reaping the benefits of his hard work. I laugh every time I hear people talk about his coaching. The one thing I'm sure of is he can coach. The difficult task for a young coach is convincing top end talent to trust that you can get them in the league. I think he is gaining on that objective. My desire for MC to be successful is based on the team being viable long term. I think MC wants to be here. The key question is can he get the kind of talent to be able to compete with the elite programs. For a guy who started coaching in the video room he has made great strides toward that end. I think he can get it done if I didn't I would be screaming for a change. I'm sure you have heard the old saying be careful what you wish for or the grass is always greener. Take a look at the DePaul program. They sit in the middle of some of the best basketball talent in the country and can't recruit or win. They would kill to have the results MC is supplying now. Here is a suggestion if you want to help be a supporter of all things UC basketball including the coach. Talk him up not down. As you say he isn't going anywhere. I know you support them with ticket sales, include a positive atmosphere. That may help bring more people out and increase revenue which helps scheduling. Well enough of my lecturing have a great New Year.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:59 AM   #415
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
L-T I don't think changing the coach will bring out the fans. Attendance was trending down before MC took over. I think the economy is playing a huge role in the numbers not just here but across the country. Basketball takes a huge hit because it falls at the time of year holiday spending is at its highest. With the need for discretionary dollars allocated elsewhere the choice between watching at home or attending is easy.My hope is beginning with this years class and next MC will start reaping the benefits of his hard work. I laugh every time I hear people talk about his coaching. The one thing I'm sure of is he can coach. The difficult task for a young coach is convincing top end talent to trust that you can get them in the league. I think he is gaining on that objective. My desire for MC to be successful is based on the team being viable long term. I think MC wants to be here. The key question is can he get the kind of talent to be able to compete with the elite programs. For a guy who started coaching in the video room he has made great strides toward that end. I think he can get it done if I didn't I would be screaming for a change. I'm sure you have heard the old saying be careful what you wish for or the grass is always greener. Take a look at the DePaul program. They sit in the middle of some of the best basketball talent in the country and can't recruit or win. They would kill to have the results MC is supplying now. Here is a suggestion if you want to help be a supporter of all things UC basketball including the coach. Talk him up not down. As you say he isn't going anywhere. I know you support them with ticket sales, include a positive atmosphere. That may help bring more people out and increase revenue which helps scheduling. Well enough of my lecturing have a great New Year.
And that will have to be the last word.
Closed Thread