Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 07:28 AM   #21
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp.ucfan View Post
Was thinking the same Greg Anthony overstepped there for sure the delay was bull$hit and I also would say what they showed didn't show 100% proof the ball hit shaqs ankle...Greg Anthony and his bromance with Louisville was also obvious all game any call the fans were unhappy about he was against us...I would like mick to ban Greg Anthony from any future uc games keep his stupid a$$ out...
even though it did show it hitting his leg, they didn't need 100% proof to keep the original call.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:34 AM   #22
Not Guilty
Elite Member

Not Guilty is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
even though it did show it hitting his leg, they didn't need 100% proof to keep the original call.
It did not show it hitting Shaq's leg. That is false.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:40 AM   #23
Not Guilty
Elite Member

Here are Seth Davis' thoughts on it in live time. They mirror my reaction:

@SethDavisHoops Feb 22

Interesting monitor review coming up. Look like it went off Russ' foot.

@SethDavisHoops Feb 22

Looks like was off Thomas' leg but they gave it to Cincy. Wow. #CBSSuperSocial

@SethDavisHoops Feb 22

They're going back to the monitor a second time. Not sure I've seen that but important to get it right. #CBSSuperSocial

@SethDavisHoops Feb 22

If it's this close you have to go with the original call. That's the rule.

‏@SethDavisHoops Feb 22

That last corner angle showed the ball did not touch his foot. Should be Cincy's ball. #CBSSuperSocial
Old 02-25-2014, 07:48 AM   #24
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Guilty View Post
It did not show it hitting Shaq's leg. That is false.
lol, whatever dude. So your twitter feed is Seth Davis. I would reference the article where it says it's the right call but your rose colored glasses would probably skim over it.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:53 AM   #25
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
The original call was that the ball belonged to UL, the replay was inconclusive and the ball should have stayed with UL. I'm not sure why the refs reversed the call in the first place. If that replay would have been used to reverse a call that went in UC's favor everyone would be in an uproar too.

Great game, tough loss. I don't think I've ever felt better about a loss than I did about this game. Even in a loss UC validated themselves to a national audience as a team to be reckoned with come March.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:54 AM   #26
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
There was an angle shown from behind Shaq where it clearly showed the ball changing directions when it his off his foot. They even showed in on the big screen at the game. It was just one angle, and I can promise you that is the angle that the refs went back and looked at. If you disagree then you haven't seen that angle.
I have seen nothing, nothing, nothing to indicate the ball hit Shaq. The one where Anthony implied it was deflected shows nothing definitive and where there isn't concrete proof the play should not be overturned. I will allow for the possibility I haven't seen the angle in question, but based on what I've seen and I have seen many, there is no reason it should have been changed.

The GREATER issue as many have pointed out is the interjection of an announcer into the game of this magnitude. Greg Anthony was there to provide play by play and not aid in replay. It's absolutely unacceptable and I agree with whoever said he should be suspended.

Also, every player I have seen interviewed said it stopped the momentum UC had built. I am not saying it lost the game either but it clearly affected the game at that point in time and gave UL an opportunity to regroup.

I still disagree with the charge call as well and the ensuing ft's. If a player is in the air and releases the ball there is no question to me it is a continuation of the play and thus a player control foul. If I remember rightly UL hit 2 ft's and in my opinon that is 2 points they should never had the opportunity to receive.

In the end, we are all frustrated but 3 blown defensive plays cost UC the game. In spite of poor play and execution the game with just over a minute was the Bearcats to win. Russ Smith hit a tough shot but I agree with Mick the game was lost on the two lay ups by Harrell. I was screaming "FOUL HIM!" on both plays. Highly unlikely he was going to walk away with 4 points from the free throw line. Even if he made 3-4 the worse case would have been ot and UL was in foul trouble with some key players.

Live and learn. Win out and at worse you end the season tied for the league championship. The Bearcats hold their own fate in their hands.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:58 AM   #27
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

Jeff, if there wasn't concrete proof then it's UL ball. I saw it while I was at the game and was stunned when they overturned it the first game. Then I went back and watched it at home and saw the same replay... And no one is arguing Greg Anthony shouldn't have intervened. I think we all agree there.

Keep in mind the no goaltending call on Jackson. That was a big call as well. Though I'm sure some on here would argue it wasn't goaltending.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:01 AM   #28
Not Guilty
Elite Member

Quote:
Keep in mind the no goaltending call on Jackson. That was a big call as well. Though I'm sure some on here would argue it wasn't goaltending.
Now you are just making things up? Who would argue that?

Also, I'm still not convinced the original call was Louisville ball. One ref absolutely made that call (on the near sideline of the broadcast) but another ref made the call that it was UC's ball. They then went to review it without announcing publicly what the initial call was.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:05 AM   #29
Scheids21
Epic Member

Scheids21 is on a distinguished road
In my opinion, there was one angle that looked like it may have hit his leg, and therefore it should have been Louisville's ball. I don't think there's any debating that Greg Anthony should not have stepped in though.

But here's a question: When the refs came out and announced Cincinnati ball, does the burden then shift to Louisville having definitive proof it DID touch his leg?
Old 02-25-2014, 08:17 AM   #30
Not Guilty
Elite Member

Quote:
lol, whatever dude. So your twitter feed is Seth Davis. I would reference the article where it says it's the right call but your rose colored glasses would probably skim over it.
@tsnmike 21h

AAC says officials re-reviewed Cincy/Louisville OOB play after awarding to Cincy because refs learned they had not seen all angles.

@tsnmike 21h

What's weird about that is that the only angle then added to package shown to viewers was only one made it look like UC hadn't touched.

Weird how my rose colored glasses align with objective national basketball writers.
Closed Thread