Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 10-09-2017, 11:58 AM   #1
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Red and Black Scrimmage

Haven't seen this posted anywhere on here, so I will spread the word, UC is having their intra-squad scrimmage Saturday, October 28th at 3:30 pm at NKU. Be our first chance to see them this year.
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:40 PM   #2
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
Haven't seen this posted anywhere on here, so I will spread the word, UC is having their intra-squad scrimmage Saturday, October 28th at 3:30 pm at NKU. Be our first chance to see them this year.
I can't wait to start hearing about our new guys in practice. I am very excited to hear what Brooks and Diarra are doing as well as Williams and Moore. Sounds like Brooks is most improved but we have heard very good things about the others as well. Even Nsoseme.

Diarra has a 7'2" wingspan from what I understand!! He probably has 5 inches of reach on Scott. It sounds like he is very mobile and has a good motor and he can make a 3. I am wondering how Scott is going to be able to compete with him with the disadvantage on reach and outside shooting? Neither has a back to the basket game really. It's all going to come down to how well Diarra can pick up the scheme IMO. If and when he "gets it" I am not sure where Scott is going to find his minutes. Scott's advantage is this is his 3rd year in the system and he should know exactly what is being asked of him by now. It seems to me it's only a matter of time with Diarra and that is no disrespect to Scott.

Williams and Moore are two different players and we can probably find a situation where we can get them minutes because of their differences. I am not sure the same is true with Diarra and Scott. They seem very similar in their athletic makeup and offensive/defensive abilities.

Last edited by waterhead; 10-09-2017 at 12:45 PM.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 03:18 PM   #3
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
It'd be nice if this game was streamed on GoBearcats.

The squads I'd like to see are...

Red
Broome
Cumberland
Williams
Scott
Washington
Nsoseme

Black
Jenifer
Moore
Evans
Clark
Brooks
Diarra
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 03:33 PM   #4
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post

Red
Broome
Cumberland
Williams
Scott
Washington
Nsoseme

Black
Jenifer
Moore
Evans
Clark
Brooks
Diarra
I'd take Black team there.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:40 PM   #5
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:

Red
Broome
Cumberland
Williams
Scott
Washington
Nsoseme

Black
Jenifer
Moore
Evans
Clark
Brooks
Diarra
Not bad. I might keep Clark and Evans on different teams since they are probably the best two defenders. Maybe switch Cumberland and Evans.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:43 PM   #6
AZ BEARCAT
Elite Member

AZ BEARCAT is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:

Red
Broome
Cumberland
Williams
Scott
Washington
Nsoseme

Black
Jenifer
Moore
Evans
Clark
Brooks
Diarra
I would take Broome, Cumberland and Willams. RED
AZ BEARCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:43 PM   #7
ZCat
Elite Member

ZCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Red
Broome
Cumberland
Williams
Scott
Washington
Nsoseme

Black
Jenifer
Moore
Evans
Clark
Brooks
Diarra
Let us know if they stream it. I will try to check their website too.
ZCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:47 AM   #8
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:

Red
Broome
Cumberland
Williams
Scott
Washington
Nsoseme

Black
Jenifer
Moore
Evans
Clark
Brooks
Diarra
I would toy with this set up.

Red

Clark
Cumberland
Jenifer
Williams
Brooks

First alternate Scott

Black

Washington
Evans
Broome
Moore
Diarra

First alternate Nsoseme

Each team has an inside scorer (Washington and Clark). Each team has an all around player and top defender (Clark and Evans). Each team has a starting "play maker" on the perimeter (Broome and Cumberland).

From there you could toy a little bit with Nsoseme and Brooks, Scott and Diarra, Moore and Williams but it makes sense to put them on different teams. Since team black has 3 likely starters compared to 2 on team red I put the "perceived" next two best players on team red in Williams and Brooks so Moore and Nsoseme go on team black. Then take your pick on where to put Diarra and Scott to even things out accordingly.

Last edited by waterhead; 10-10-2017 at 10:01 AM.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:57 AM   #9
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I would toy with this set up.

Red

Clark
Cumberland
Jenifer
Williams
Brooks

First alternate Scott

Black

Washington
Evans
Broome
Moore
Diarra

First alternate Nsoseme

Each team has an inside scorer (Washington and Clark). Each team has an all around player and top defender (Clark and Evans). Each team has a starting "play maker" on the perimeter (Broome and Cumberland).

From there you could toy a little bit with Nsoseme and Brooks, Scott and Diarra, Moore and Williams but it makes sense to put them on different teams. Since team black has 3 likely starters compared to 2 on team red I put the "perceived" next two best players on team red in Williams and Brooks so Moore and Nsoseme go on team black. Then take your pick on where to put Diarra and Scott to even things out accordingly.
Looking at either team on paper kind of makes me think they could be somewhat competitive in conference in their own right without combining the two practice teams. Cronin has done a good job of squeezing a good season out of teams with the talent that would be present on either squad.

It sounds like Cronin has most of their heads screwed on right. The goals are high but they all seem to know nothing is going to be gifted to them because of a pre season ranking. Cronin is finally coming to grips that defense alone is not going to get the job done. It took a while...but at least the shift seems to have happened. Pace of play should finally be addressed this year.

Combining red and black right now seems to be what we have all been waiting on for a long time. Talent and depth. Offense and defense. Work ethic and attitude. Experienced veterans and excited youth. Smart and tough players.

We are at the point of nit picking to find weakness. We can't have it all but we have more options than ever under Cronin. Perhaps Washington could be an outstanding defender and maybe we would like to see a sure fire go to guy in the clutch. One of those might just happen and the other we can sub for.

It's hard for me to contain my excitement right now!! Stay healthy (knock on wood) and we are going to be in for one hell of a season!!
Old 10-10-2017, 01:13 PM   #10
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Looking at either team on paper kind of makes me think they could be somewhat competitive in conference in their own right without combining the two practice teams. Cronin has done a good job of squeezing a good season out of teams with the talent that would be present on either squad.

It sounds like Cronin has most of their heads screwed on right. The goals are high but they all seem to know nothing is going to be gifted to them because of a pre season ranking. Cronin is finally coming to grips that defense alone is not going to get the job done. It took a while...but at least the shift seems to have happened. Pace of play should finally be addressed this year.

Combining red and black right now seems to be what we have all been waiting on for a long time. Talent and depth. Offense and defense. Work ethic and attitude. Experienced veterans and excited youth. Smart and tough players.

We are at the point of nit picking to find weakness. We can't have it all but we have more options than ever under Cronin. Perhaps Washington could be an outstanding defender and maybe we would like to see a sure fire go to guy in the clutch. One of those might just happen and the other we can sub for.

It's hard for me to contain my excitement right now!! Stay healthy (knock on wood) and we are going to be in for one hell of a season!!
This year we could (and probably will) have 5 guys in double figures in scoring. We have defensive help on the bench if we need it. We have Justin Jackson and Rubles types on the bench although MAYBE none that can guard or switch on as many players as they could as well as they could. We also don't have SK but we might have a couple of guys who can help replicate what he did.

The only other team I can remember that seemed complete in terms of scoring versatility was in Gates and Cash Sr year but we didn't have the quality depth. It probably is no coincidence that was our sweet 16 year.
Parker was 5th on that team at 9.4 ppg and 4 of our scorers were 6'4" or under. This year we will have 4 starters at 6'5" or taller. IMO much more talented as well 1-5.