Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > 2018 Recruiting Profiles

Old 09-01-2016, 10:24 AM   #21
Chad Brendel
Elite Member

Chad Brendel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCat View Post
If Stubblefield was really that good then there should be a collection to get him back. That's what the big donors should be spending money on-- recruiters. I'm not convinced he was that excellent a recruiter but he would certainly be a step up. We badly badly need New Blood in the assistant coaches. We need 1-2 Top Flight recruiters
SK, Lance, Yancy, Dixon, Bishop here and half the Oregon team that was a 1 seed last year. He's one of the best in the country...
Chad Brendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 01:01 PM   #22
CrakkerBarrellsX
Banned

CrakkerBarrellsX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
Relevant to the 2018 class and beyond: Read on 247 that the King James AAU team is dissolving. It's where a lot of the top Ohio kids were playing. I hope someone is working on an Ohio UA team and create a pipeline to UC....sorry just woke up from that dream.
Doesn't alex Meacham have nice aau program?
CrakkerBarrellsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 01:02 PM   #23
CrakkerBarrellsX
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Brendel View Post
SK, Lance, Yancy, Dixon, Bishop here and half the Oregon team that was a 1 seed last year. He's one of the best in the country...
I agree Stubbs is the MAN!
Old 09-01-2016, 01:12 PM   #24
UCBEARCAT22

UCBEARCAT22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrakkerBarrellsX View Post
Being a former player of the program that he runs. It is a very nice program. But it still isn't the best in the State. Many of the players in that program are from smaller high schools around the city. But you still get the kids from Elder, Oak Hills and Lakota. From what I have seen he hasn't pulled in any of the top athletes in the city to come play in the program.
UCBEARCAT22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 03:35 PM   #25
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrakkerBarrellsX View Post
Doesn't produce high major kids
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:46 PM   #26
CrakkerBarrellsX
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
Doesn't produce high major kids
Get him to switch up too UA and do whatever you can funding program. We should be hosting aau tournaments every weekend throughout aau season.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:50 PM   #27
ZCat
Elite Member

ZCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
To get money you need butts in the seats, plain and simple. Number one gripe is the arena. New football stadium opened up a new revenue stream, new arena hopes to do the same. Bearcats fans (not you in particular here) gripe so much about everything but it all comes down to dollars which nobody wants to shell out. UC is a public school, they're not using tuition dollars and tax dollars etc. to fund sports. It's all done in private donations. UC doesn't have the fan support so they don't have the money. For everyone who gripes at the job Cronin is doing, and some of its fair, doing so from their living room does nobody any good. They need donors, the basketball team needs support. When the fans put money into basketball then Cronin can finally get the assistants and recruiting budget to compete. As of now they're doing it on minimum dollars and minimum results is what we are getting.
David I always like your posts. If Stubblefield was so good then it should have given him 200000 out of his own salary. He would get all that back with the extra games he won, bonuses, salary, Etc
ZCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 10:51 PM   #28
ZCat
Elite Member

ZCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Brendel View Post
Thanks for the info. Sounds to me like we should have never let him go. If you're going to spend that many million dollars on an arena you better find a few hundred thousand dollars for the Top Flight recruiting assistant coach
ZCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 12:15 AM   #29
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCat View Post
David I always like your posts. If Stubblefield was so good then it should have given him 200000 out of his own salary. He would get all that back with the extra games he won, bonuses, salary, Etc
I don't disagree in theory but I doubt it was as simple as that. True Cronin could take less money so he could pay his assistants a little more but let's be honest, there are very, very few people who take less money than they can or are offered. And if Cronin did do this what message really would he be sending? He'd have no leg to stand on going forward. Cronin has always griped about his budget and I could list several reasons where I think he is part of the problem in the decline of fan support, although realistically the athletic budget as a whole is bringing in more than it ever has. But cronin's salary isn't what's handcuffing the budget. Not even close. Football drives the budget. This town rallied behind the team years ago and did so with their $$. They aren't doing that for basketball. Attendance is stagnant and people find more and more reasons to not go to games and not to donate to the program. My only point is the fans waiting for UC to put money into basketball instead of football really truly don't understand how the system works. It's not the university that made the decision, it is the fans making the decision. Football goes from averaging several thousand to 30,000 in a few years....university spends that money back into football. Basketball attendance and support falls and then very, very slowly is increasing, there's nothing telling the university to sink money into it. Yet it does and has listened and given Cronin some of his demands and has found money to fund a new arena. Yes the budget needs to be increased and I'll be the first to preach we need better assistants. Both in recruiting and x's and o's. But stuff like that falls pretty clearly in the department of you have to make money to spend money. It's kind of a catch 22, but unfortunately the bottom line falls where money doesn't exist it doesn't get spent. I won't pretend to know the solution to solving the problem but hopefully this new arena does put butts in the seats and all the new suites and boxes increases the basketball budget. Personally I'd just love some new blood in the assistant ranks regardless of the budget.
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:25 AM   #30
CrakkerBarrellsX
Banned

Cronin could easily give 500k of his salary back or give jobs to aau coaches little if nothing and have their top players come here. Ellison from Princeton should be at UC within two years. He's coached all of the top ohio kids and he's fairly young. I believe he coached one of king james top teams if im not mistaken. I guarantee if we don't get him OSU gets him in package deal for beazley.