Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives > 2015 Recruiting Profiles

Old 05-22-2015, 03:28 PM   #21
Bulldog01
Banned

Bulldog01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Maybe. Maybe not. But most Top 50 recruits never step foot in our arena, so idk.
to be fair mick, most of our top recruits in history of program he's help land.
Bulldog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 03:34 PM   #22
Doogle

Doogle will become famous soon enough
I find it pretty amusing that most of us (including myself) on this board were giddy at the prospects for this team next year right after the tournament.
2 months later, we're lining up to jump off a ledge because Mick didn't get a few transfers very few people had ever heard of prior to their decisions to transfer.

Jenifer, Scott and Evans were all very solid gets. This team will be extremely good next year IMO. Next year, after a deep tourney run, we could be in prime position to land impact spring recruits or a couple of those coveted transfers everyone's in a twist about. Let's focus on next season and let Mick and company worry about 2016-2017 and beyond. Our hand-wringing and belly aching has no impact on the process anyway - so why waste precious energy?
Doogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:43 PM   #23
TNBearcat3

TNBearcat3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogle View Post
I find it pretty amusing that most of us (including myself) on this board were giddy at the prospects for this team next year right after the tournament.
2 months later, we're lining up to jump off a ledge because Mick didn't get a few transfers very few people had ever heard of prior to their decisions to transfer.

Jenifer, Scott and Evans were all very solid gets. This team will be extremely good next year IMO. Next year, after a deep tourney run, we could be in prime position to land impact spring recruits or a couple of those coveted transfers everyone's in a twist about. Let's focus on next season and let Mick and company worry about 2016-2017 and beyond. Our hand-wringing and belly aching has no impact on the process anyway - so why waste precious energy?
This x1000000
TNBearcat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 05:10 PM   #24
Mcginnjw
Epic Member

Mcginnjw is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Thank you!
Mcginnjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 05:15 PM   #25
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Bcatfollower is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I think the reasoning is we hear Mick say they want to add 1 to 2 players 1 of which he wanted a good contributor. The staff obviously identifies they want certain players and does their best to get them. They fail and another school, near out current level, brings them in. It's disappointing and becoming repetitive. Mick set these expectations.
Bcatfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:50 PM   #26
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
It will all work out. Most people said NIT prior to this past season and they made the NCAA. This is not the end of the world. They have plenty of scholarship players. They're the same team everyone was excited over. There will be another recruiting class next season and frankly I still think they'll look under every rock to sign one more this season. If the few good guys that are left don't come, just pocket the 'ship. Many teams operate under the scholarship limit it's no big deal.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:51 PM   #27
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
I still think the team will be terrific next year. I'm concerned about the year after but plenty of recruiting time left. Hopefully Mick used his year well.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 01:02 PM   #28
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
In the grand scheme of things, I'm not concerned about losing any one recruit. Rowsey chose a good Marquette program over us. Not a big deal. Izundu chose to play in the ACC and Miami over coming north. Not a big deal. It is frustrating to watch and want these guys and see them choose other schools, but I'm over it the second they announce somewhere else. I don't think the sky is falling but I do get the frustrations of fans that we haven't brought in anybody with these two scholarships.

With that said, I do feel when you have open scholarships you are missing the boat somewhere if they are not filled. Especially when you continually keep one open every year. If Mick comes out a says, "Look I only want 12 players every year," then I'll disagree but understand. I just don't completely buy the save it for next year song and dance every year. Come March we had 8 competent players and a very raw Quadri Moore. I know three players scholarship players were off the team for whatever the reason, but we did leave a scholly open this year. Running into Kentucky probably didn't matter if we had one or two more bodies, but that Purdue game when Ellis went out it sure could've helped and save a miraculous finish did nearly cost us. If the Purdue coach was smart enough to put in both his seven footers then I think there is no chance UC hangs around in that game. My point is while the roster might be fine as is for next year, if you aren't filling your rosters out somewhere it can come back and bite you. We had a couple lost years in recruiting and that hurt us this past year with no truly solid upperclassmen. Luckily this team scrapped and fought and turned a positive out of a rebuilding year and kudos to them for pulling out a good season. I get where you don't want to give a guy four years when someone better could come along in that time, but we never use our scholly's anyway and those things always have a way of working themselves out if a player doesn't fit in. In the past three years Gaines, Davis, Lawrence, Strickland, Guyn and Morman either left by their own choice or were shown the door. Most probably a combination of the two. So why save a scholarship? Give me a fundamentally solid big and a fundamentally solid shooter/scorer with these last two. They are out there. Will they turn into studs, probably not. Would they come here as opposed to a Wright State or a Bowling Green? Probably yes. Would they help us down the stretch and give some valuable minutes as opposed to having an empty spot on the bench? I think definitely yes.

Last edited by david aka the TYZ; 05-23-2015 at 01:05 PM.
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 01:35 PM   #29
ccmbearcat

ccmbearcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
In the grand scheme of things, I'm not concerned about losing any one recruit. Rowsey chose a good Marquette program over us. Not a big deal. Izundu chose to play in the ACC and Miami over coming north. Not a big deal. It is frustrating to watch and want these guys and see them choose other schools, but I'm over it the second they announce somewhere else. I don't think the sky is falling but I do get the frustrations of fans that we haven't brought in anybody with these two scholarships.

With that said, I do feel when you have open scholarships you are missing the boat somewhere if they are not filled. Especially when you continually keep one open every year. If Mick comes out a says, "Look I only want 12 players every year," then I'll disagree but understand. I just don't completely buy the save it for next year song and dance every year. Come March we had 8 competent players and a very raw Quadri Moore. I know three players scholarship players were off the team for whatever the reason, but we did leave a scholly open this year. Running into Kentucky probably didn't matter if we had one or two more bodies, but that Purdue game when Ellis went out it sure could've helped and save a miraculous finish did nearly cost us. If the Purdue coach was smart enough to put in both his seven footers then I think there is no chance UC hangs around in that game. My point is while the roster might be fine as is for next year, if you aren't filling your rosters out somewhere it can come back and bite you. We had a couple lost years in recruiting and that hurt us this past year with no truly solid upperclassmen. Luckily this team scrapped and fought and turned a positive out of a rebuilding year and kudos to them for pulling out a good season. I get where you don't want to give a guy four years when someone better could come along in that time, but we never use our scholly's anyway and those things always have a way of working themselves out if a player doesn't fit in. In the past three years Gaines, Davis, Lawrence, Strickland, Guyn and Morman either left by their own choice or were shown the door. Most probably a combination of the two. So why save a scholarship? Give me a fundamentally solid big and a fundamentally solid shooter/scorer with these last two. They are out there. Will they turn into studs, probably not. Would they come here as opposed to a Wright State or a Bowling Green? Probably yes. Would they help us down the stretch and give some valuable minutes as opposed to having an empty spot on the bench? I think definitely yes.
The problem with keeping 13 is that many times the guys at the bottom of the depth chart often become disgruntled with the available PT and decide to move on. That was the case with Guyn, Davis, Strickland and Gaines. Lots of teams end up carrying less than 13, but it would have been nice to grab an impact player but not the end of the world. Recruiting is often a dirty business, especially in the spring when the few top guys are shopped around looking for the highest bidder. So if Mick does not add anybody this spring I'm OK with that. It would be very nice to have 13 impact players but that will never happen, I'll take a roster with 10 guys who can play every time.
ccmbearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 01:44 PM   #30
ccmbearcat

ccmbearcat is on a distinguished road
Updated list of top10 remaining transfers. Kyle Washington #7.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/jeff...-transfer-list
ccmbearcat is offline   Reply With Quote