Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2019, 04:43 AM   #31
Btown Bearcat

Btown Bearcat is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Not sure Kmart has been the best role model lately so who cares what he thinks anymore. As for the others I would suggest a well written and evidenced letter to the AD or board or Admin would look better and have more meaning than some snarky tweets. That’s not how you get interviews.

I like the hire (for now) lol!!
thing is this is how they have always been even pre twitter even when they finally came around to Cronin after a decade in charge it was still we have nothing against cronin or the program just the people in charge. Thats always kind of been their MO.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:56 AM   #32
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Btown Bearcat View Post
thing is this is how they have always been even pre twitter even when they finally came around to Cronin after a decade in charge it was still we have nothing against cronin or the program just the people in charge. Thats always kind of been their MO.
Perhaps they think using Twitter is the best way to reach a lot of fans and put the seed in their mind. Maybe they think someone else will put the pressure on the admin. I don't know if any of them tried it or not but I would think the best way to make an impact on the administration would be to lobby them directly with a well thought out argument. Try to get in front of the board or AD or something like that.

We shall see but I think they got the right guy for right now. It may or may not play out that way. Should NVE have gotten an interview? Not if he didn't meet the preliminary requirements. I would love to see what Nick can do but taking that risk right now could easily take us off solid ground. I think the floor for Nick would be lower than with Brannen (with so many unknowns for NVE) and I don't think you take that risk if future realignment is still an option down the road. We can't really afford to take two steps back. I think Brannen's floor is probably more like 1 step back.

This of course assumes NVE already met minimum requirements for the position which I am not sure he did (or even what they are).
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:13 AM   #33
JoeRunner89

JoeRunner89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Just an honest assessment here but there's a lot of disassociation and racial undertoning within some of these posts... Maybe the former players just love Bob Huggins, maybe they just felt NVE was qualified enough to earn at least an interview, maybe just maybe they know a lot more about coaching on all levels than what's being insinuated in some of these comments
JoeRunner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:36 AM   #34
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRunner89 View Post
Just an honest assessment here but there's a lot of disassociation and racial undertoning within some of these posts... Maybe the former players just love Bob Huggins, maybe they just felt NVE was qualified enough to earn at least an interview, maybe just maybe they know a lot more about coaching on all levels than what's being insinuated in some of these comments
I understand from previous posts you think there is a systemic problem in CBB about hiring black coaches. And there are probably objective stats to back up that position.

The problem though is we can't treat each individual hire we see with the same broad brush. We don't know (or at least I don't) what the qualifications or disqualifications were for this particular hire. He may not have even made the cut for interviews because he was disqualified for objective reasons which would have disqualified any coach of any color. Who knows? If he WAS qualified by the objective guidelines of the AD and then was not given an interview...we would have something to talk about. But again who knows? Perhaps a little more transparency would be in order for all universities and their guidelines for hiring to reduce speculation.

If NVE got his start at a low major and had some success and Brannen flopped (or even did so well he went to a blue blood) he could be in line the next time around. But this is a very high level to get your start. He is my all time favorite Bearcat so I would love to see him roaming the sidelines someday.

As for the player's opinions...I do not discount them. But imagine instead of using Twitter if they all got together as a team and marched into the board to have a heart felt discussion? Maybe the board and the players could come to an agreement on how to adjust hiring guidelines to reduce or eliminate any systemic bias. Maybe that could trickle over to other universities.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:37 PM   #35
JoeRunner89

JoeRunner89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I understand from previous posts you think there is a systemic problem in CBB about hiring black coaches. And there are probably objective stats to back up that position.

The problem though is we can't treat each individual hire we see with the same broad brush. We don't know (or at least I don't) what the qualifications or disqualifications were for this particular hire. He may not have even made the cut for interviews because he was disqualified for objective reasons which would have disqualified any coach of any color. Who knows? If he WAS qualified by the objective guidelines of the AD and then was not given an interview...we would have something to talk about. But again who knows? Perhaps a little more transparency would be in order for all universities and their guidelines for hiring to reduce speculation.

If NVE got his start at a low major and had some success and Brannen flopped (or even did so well he went to a blue blood) he could be in line the next time around. But this is a very high level to get your start. He is my all time favorite Bearcat so I would love to see him roaming the sidelines someday.

As for the player's opinions...I do not discount them. But imagine instead of using Twitter if they all got together as a team and marched into the board to have a heart felt discussion? Maybe the board and the players could come to an agreement on how to adjust hiring guidelines to reduce or eliminate any systemic bias. Maybe that could trickle over to other universities.
I can respect your reply. At the end of the day NVE should of received an interview. It is what it is now, the million man March to the board shouldn't be necessary but I agree that something that extreme probably would be affective. I wish brannnen would hire some form of Bearcat on his coaching staff. I don't see Nick being an assistant in college since he's already been one in the NBA, essentially that's a downgrade really.. but yes, ofcourse the former players wanted thier guy, it would of been amazing if that were the case college is about traditions and the great programs continue that in some capacity once it is achieved over time. I will forever love smash mouth, in your face Bearcat basketball and I'm interested to see the type of players brannnen recruits
JoeRunner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:55 AM   #36
juckerrules
Elite Member

juckerrules is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I can respect your reply. At the end of the day NVE should of received an interview. It is what it is now, the million man March to the board shouldn't be necessary but I agree that something that extreme probably would be affective. I wish brannnen would hire some form of Bearcat on his coaching staff. I don't see Nick being an assistant in college since he's already been one in the NBA, essentially that's a downgrade really.. but yes, ofcourse the former players wanted thier guy, it would of been amazing if that were the case college is about traditions and the great programs continue that in some capacity once it is achieved over time. I will forever love smash mouth, in your face Bearcat basketball and I'm interested to see the type of players brannnen recruits
I just want to see teams that can win in March...that know how to adjust when the system is not matching up well against a particular opponent or in a particular game. I don't care if they play smash mouth or dance around the court in rainbow unicorn tutus as long as they win
juckerrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:03 AM   #37
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Brannen is going after Antoine Pettway, the top recruiter at Alabama. He's been ranked as a top 10 recruiter by 247Sports for the past 3 classes.

Brannen isn't messing around. He seems to believe UC is a place that can land top recruits.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:04 AM   #38
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I get your point. Flip side of your argument is Mick didn't have not ONE single white scholarship player his ENTIRE tenure. Did you think it was unfair no white players came here? I don't think race is a issue at Uc
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:06 AM   #39
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
Brannen is going after Antoine Pettway, the top recruiter at Alabama. He's been ranked as a top 10 recruiter by 247Sports for the past 3 classes.

Brannen isn't messing around. He seems to believe UC is a place that can land top recruits.
pettway is home run hire. One of best if not best in South at recruiting. Might take close to mil to get him though
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:15 AM   #40
M64W

M64W is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Just because someone is an assistant in the NBA does not mean they are a better coach than assistant in college. NBA is a different game (no zones etc.). It would be a down grade in terms of money, not in Xs & Os, recruiting, work ethic, camaraderie etc.
M64W is offline   Reply With Quote