Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football

Old 08-06-2012, 07:58 AM   #1
Thegreatone
Epic Member

Thegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura about
Big East TV deal "could exceed" ACC

Interim commissioner was on 700 WLW with Dan Hoard on Sunday discussing the future of the Big East. He said the Big East TV deal was going well and he believes it could exceed ACC package. it was not mentioned if he was talking about per team or as a lump (Big East has more teams to split the $$$ with than ACC).

I have been following this closely and here are some notes and predictions:

- ESPN has until Oct 1st to negotiate a TV deal with the Big East. No other networks can make an offer until that point. The Big East did hear what NBC and other networks had to say about how they would present the big east in earleir meetings.

- I think ESPN would offer about 13-15 million per year to FOOTBALL playing teams. ACC currently gets 17 per team.

- This amount of money would put the Big East way above all the mid majors and close to the other BCS conferences.

- I don't think that is good enough for the Big East. The deal breaker will be if ESPN decides to put the Big East Champ in the Orange Bowl. If they do, we will stay with ESPN.

- If ESPN doesnt put us into a former BCS game I think we go to NBC. I believe the offer would be around 14-17 million per team.

- I also think the Big East/NBC would create its own bowl game. I think NBC would make the payout significant. Have "Football Night in America" crew do the pregame. Offer the Big 10 #2 or the Big XII #2 to participate.

- You put that game as close to the Orange Bowl as you can. You directly compete because NBC would make it the biggest college football game of their year and the Orange Bowl is the lowest priority of the major bowls to ESPN. You could do major damage to the ACC and Orange Bowl.

Why would NBC make such a big offer?

- The Big East brings the biggest markets and TV sets of all the major conferences and it isnt close. More than Big 10, SEC or Big XII.

- While they may not be the dominate team in the area they create interest. For example, USF may not be the "it" team in Florida or Tampa even but there will be significant interest and TV sets on. How many OSU fans keep an eye on UC games? A ton. IF SMU has a great year the entire state of Texas will watch.

- NBC could put college football on their network (NBC, MSNBC is rumored, and of coarse NBC Sports) from noon until midnight with the widespread national members.

No matter what people say, most people only care about regional teams, their conference or top 10 games. Pac 12 might be much better conference but who watches any Pac 12 games outside of USC? **** most do not watch SEC games outside the top 10. It just so happens they have a ton of top 10 teams ha.

Should be very interesting.
Thegreatone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:24 AM   #2
anbuc88
Elite Member

anbuc88 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegreatone View Post
Interim commissioner was on 700 WLW with Dan Hoard on Sunday discussing the future of the Big East. He said the Big East TV deal was going well and he believes it could exceed ACC package. it was not mentioned if he was talking about per team or as a lump (Big East has more teams to split the $$$ with than ACC).

I have been following this closely and here are some notes and predictions:

- ESPN has until Oct 1st to negotiate a TV deal with the Big East. No other networks can make an offer until that point. The Big East did hear what NBC and other networks had to say about how they would present the big east in earleir meetings.

- I think ESPN would offer about 13-15 million per year to FOOTBALL playing teams. ACC currently gets 17 per team.

- This amount of money would put the Big East way above all the mid majors and close to the other BCS conferences.

- I don't think that is good enough for the Big East. The deal breaker will be if ESPN decides to put the Big East Champ in the Orange Bowl. If they do, we will stay with ESPN.

- If ESPN doesnt put us into a former BCS game I think we go to NBC. I believe the offer would be around 14-17 million per team.

- I also think the Big East/NBC would create its own bowl game. I think NBC would make the payout significant. Have "Football Night in America" crew do the pregame. Offer the Big 10 #2 or the Big XII #2 to participate.

- You put that game as close to the Orange Bowl as you can. You directly compete because NBC would make it the biggest college football game of their year and the Orange Bowl is the lowest priority of the major bowls to ESPN. You could do major damage to the ACC and Orange Bowl.

Why would NBC make such a big offer?

- The Big East brings the biggest markets and TV sets of all the major conferences and it isnt close. More than Big 10, SEC or Big XII.

- While they may not be the dominate team in the area they create interest. For example, USF may not be the "it" team in Florida or Tampa even but there will be significant interest and TV sets on. How many OSU fans keep an eye on UC games? A ton. IF SMU has a great year the entire state of Texas will watch.

- NBC could put college football on their network (NBC, MSNBC is rumored, and of coarse NBC Sports) from noon until midnight with the widespread national members.

No matter what people say, most people only care about regional teams, their conference or top 10 games. Pac 12 might be much better conference but who watches any Pac 12 games outside of USC? **** most do not watch SEC games outside the top 10. It just so happens they have a ton of top 10 teams ha.

Should be very interesting.
I believe ESPN has a 60 day exclusivity clause with the BE for a new TV contract thus Nov 1 will be when NBC and Fox can also bid on a deal.
anbuc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:05 AM   #3
Thegreatone
Epic Member

Thegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura about
You are correct. Thanks.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:25 AM   #4
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Listened to it as well and was very impressed by what I heard. They sound like they have a solid plan moving forward.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #5
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
We will likely see Tier 1 rights to NBC for football (they need programming for the new sports channel) and Tier 1 rights to ESPN for basketball, and probably Tier 3 to CBS for basketball as well.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #6
Thegreatone
Epic Member

Could you explain the difference between teir 1 and teir 3?
Old 08-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #7
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegreatone View Post
Could you explain the difference between teir 1 and teir 3?
Sorry I mean Tier 2 rights with CBS.

From what I understand, Tier 1 right means that network gets first preference to broadcast X amount of games (so the "high profile games"), the ones that they do not choose go to the Tier 2 network, usually local cable networks. The Tier 1 and Tier 2 rights are almost always controlled directly by the conferences. So the Big East is selling their Tier 1 and Tier 2 rights to the highest bidders.

The Big East currently has Tier 1 rights for both basketball and football with ESPN and Tier 2 rights with CBS for basketball (I believe they air 8 games a year).

Last edited by Bearcat_NTS; 08-06-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:39 AM   #8
psax889906
Epic Member

psax889906 will become famous soon enoughpsax889906 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to psax889906
It sucks... but so much is riding on this TV deal... if the Big East gets it right and this conference survives (and flourishes) the powers that be that get it done should be doubly applauded for doing so without a permanent commissioner.

All I care about in the end is that UC is in a position still to GROW it's football and basketball foundations. Things are set up WONDERFULLY right now. The right coaches are in place; the administration is on board from all indications to go all in and ensure UC becomes a consistent national player in both sports and lastly the city of Cincinnati is definitely trending in a positive direction currently. This could be a perfect storm... now for our Boone T. Pickens type to step up to kick start the Nippert renovation/expansion
psax889906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:44 AM   #9
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psax889906 View Post
It sucks... but so much is riding on this TV deal... if the Big East gets it right and this conference survives (and flourishes) the powers that be that get it done should be doubly applauded for doing so without a permanent commissioner.

All I care about in the end is that UC is in a position still to GROW it's football and basketball foundations. Things are set up WONDERFULLY right now. The right coaches are in place; the administration is on board from all indications to go all in and ensure UC becomes a consistent national player in both sports and lastly the city of Cincinnati is definitely trending in a positive direction currently. This could be a perfect storm... now for our Boone T. Pickens type to step up to kick start the Nippert renovation/expansion
Funds gained from the TV deal will be applied for stadium renovations to both Nippert and the Shoe. So yes, a lot is riding on this not only for the league but for UC.