Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 01-06-2020, 10:24 AM   #171
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
Jaevin gives us nothing unless he is making shots and right now he is not. He doesn't really get to the basket, he's not a great defender, he doesn't rebound. As much as I love Jaevin, when he is not hitting shots he is as useless as McNeal. We basically play 4 on 5 on offense with McNeal in the game, unless McNeal is driving to the basket he should never shoot.

Also Brannens line up's late in the games are very questionable... Around the 7 minute mark we had Chris McNeal, Diarra, Scott, Davenport and Jaevin on the floor together.
Jaevin has been awful at times.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:22 AM   #172
Bearcats1232002

Bearcats1232002 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Considering that unc has a proven coach in an elite basketball conference with very recent March success, no they aren’t mid major.

I mean here is the huge gap between UC and a school like UCLA. When UC beat Tennessee and UConn, I didn’t hear a single mention of it on any of the national podcasts I listen to:

When UCLA, who’s been ever worse than UC, got a big late night win against Washington, it was all over Twitter from the national guys. The podcasts mentioned it too.

UC is the most irrelevant it’s been in years.

We aren’t in the polls, we aren’t being talked about, we aren’t in bracketology, we aren’t in the national discussion.

Say what you will, but UC was in the national discussion every year the last 5 years.

Epsn articles, podcasts, etc.

People don’t realize how razor thin our brand is. No one cares about UC basketball when it’s not winning. No one cares.

We could drop off the face of the earth and no one would notice.

We’re the frickin 4th best team in our own state in a non major conference.

I just hope this doesn't become a Xavier town. I remember the 80s pre-huggins where we were so irrelevant that our games were on WSAI, I think, and Xavier was on 700 WLW.
Bearcats1232002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:23 PM   #173
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Jaevin has been awful at times.
Most have been awful at times
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 08:18 PM   #174
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Most have been awful at times
That's very true.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:43 AM   #175
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Radio show notes. Said Vogt played very well on offense, but did poorly at guarding on the perimeter. Said Diarra is really starting to play within himself and he anticipates Diarra continue to get 10+ minutes (he said more as a 4, but we can probably guess Diarra is going to continue taking some of Sorolla's minutes as well). Said Jarron played very well in the second half.

As a more philosophy based thing he said he is much more prone to pull freshmen out of the game when they make a defensive mistake as opposed to a veteran. Said Davenport (and I'd assume Harvey as well though he didn't say it) has trouble right now with consistently being in the right spot on defense.

Also said he has been coaching chemistry and just getting the team to work together cohesively a lot. He's trying to get back to coaching basketball.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:15 AM   #176
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Radio show notes. Said Vogt played very well on offense, but did poorly at guarding on the perimeter. Said Diarra is really starting to play within himself and he anticipates Diarra continue to get 10+ minutes (he said more as a 4, but we can probably guess Diarra is going to continue taking some of Sorolla's minutes as well). Said Jarron played very well in the second half.

As a more philosophy based thing he said he is much more prone to pull freshmen out of the game when they make a defensive mistake as opposed to a veteran. Said Davenport (and I'd assume Harvey as well though he didn't say it) has trouble right now with consistently being in the right spot on defense.

Also said he has been coaching chemistry and just getting the team to work together cohesively a lot. He's trying to get back to coaching basketball.
I had a thought on Cumberland. He has been a very willing passer and is the best on the team. I wonder when the system starts working for him? We don't have enough play makers who can get the ball back to him. He IS the play maker!! Vogt scores so well that you don't expect him to pass back out if it gets in his hands on the block. CJB's system works when all players can make plays or at least 4 of 5. MAW is not breaking down defenses. Keith either goes to the rack and makes a bucket, gets fouled, gets blocked or turns it over. Scott had a nice assist game against Tulane but he's not a play maker and therefore can't get Jarron easy looks or buckets.

At what point does Jarron say..."why am I the only one looking to (or can) facilitate?" I want some points too. Who's passing back to me? Who is breaking down a defense so I can camp on the 3 line? Nobody
Old 01-07-2020, 10:33 AM   #177
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I had a thought on Cumberland. He has been a very willing passer and is the best on the team. I wonder when the system starts working for him? We don't have enough play makers who can get the ball back to him. He IS the play maker!! Vogt scores so well that you don't expect him to pass back out if it gets in his hands on the block. CJB's system works when all players can make plays or at least 4 of 5. MAW is not breaking down defenses. Keith either goes to the rack and makes a bucket, gets fouled, gets blocked or turns it over. Scott had a nice assist game against Tulane but he's not a play maker and therefore can't get Jarron easy looks or buckets.

At what point does Jarron say..."why am I the only one looking to (or can) facilitate?" I want some points too. Who's passing back to me? Who is breaking down a defense so I can camp on the 3 line? Nobody
Jarron has shown an ability to do it, he had ZERO points in the first half against Tulane which is absurd. He showed flashes of old Jarron for 5 minutes and then drifted back to passing and trying to facilitate. This system could be really good for Jarron, but I think a lot of it can be put on Jarron too. I don't understand why JB didn't use the post up with Jarron like he did against UConn where JC either made a layup or drew a foul, not once did Jarron post up against Tulane, I get matchups may not of allowed that but let JC get the defender off his feet and get a foul, JC is one of the best at drawing fouls.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:42 AM   #178
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Jarron has shown an ability to do it, he had ZERO points in the first half against Tulane which is absurd. He showed flashes of old Jarron for 5 minutes and then drifted back to passing and trying to facilitate. This system could be really good for Jarron, but I think a lot of it can be put on Jarron too. I don't understand why JB didn't use the post up with Jarron like he did against UConn where JC either made a layup or drew a foul, not once did Jarron post up against Tulane, I get matchups may not of allowed that but let JC get the defender off his feet and get a foul, JC is one of the best at drawing fouls.

Jarron was being face guarded well past the three point line. They played a 4 man match up zone and 1 guy just glued to Jarron.

He made them pay with passes.

Anyone who says Jarron is selfish (and it’s been said) is out of their minds. When your best player has nearly as many assists as shots taken, he isn’t selfish.

He is a playmaker. And if this team had better players, he’d be an elite one. But sadly he has to be the play maker and scorer on this team.

Jarron isn’t the problem
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:43 AM   #179
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
He's playing team basketball but maybe he needs to be more selfish. He feeds Vogt in the paint. He makes cross court passes which skip a defensive rotation. He kicks out on his drives. Who else is doing these things? Vogt should not be. Keith makes his mind up before he dribbles one time. MAW can't break down a defense due to his lack of ball handling (for a PG). Scott does a decent job but when he puts the ball on the floor (like Keith) he's not coughing it up to a teammate. It's boom or bust for Keith and Trevon after they put the ball on the floor. I think Jaevin does a decent job of getting good looks for teammates.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:45 AM   #180
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Jarron was being face guarded well past the three point line. They played a 4 man match up zone and 1 guy just glued to Jarron.

He made them pay with passes.

Anyone who says Jarron is selfish (and it’s been said) is out of their minds. When your best player has nearly as many assists as shots taken, he isn’t selfish.

He is a playmaker. And if this team had better players, he’d be an elite one. But sadly he has to be the play maker and scorer on this team.

Jarron isn’t the problem
He's been way too unselfish so far IMO.