Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: What will be the outcome of the Houston game?
UC wins by 9+ 9 25.00%
UC wins by 5-8 13 36.11%
UC wins by 1-4 9 25.00%
Houston wins 5 13.89%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2018, 10:02 AM   #451
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
He means, winning by 30 makes you soft. crushing teams the way they were crushing teams doesn't make you good.

Had SMU gave us a road battle the game before Houston, we might have came out different. But Huge margins where winning is easy, can make you soft. He says his toughest practices came after big wins.
Oh ok thanks
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:35 AM   #452
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
I swear, UC fans after a big loss makes me want to quit the internet.

I'm more upset with the shitty hot takes than I am about losing to #23 in Kenpom Houston at home.

if Houston were in the Big East, they'd be in 4th place above Seton Hall, Providence and Butler and just one spot below Creighton. But because perception means so much to people, losing to houston was like losing to Mississippi valley state or something.

its insanity.

we can't have it both ways. We can't have a league that is improved and still run through like its the MEAC. If you want a respectable league then you want a league when you can lose on the road to multiple opponents.

We just punched Houston's ticket. And it sets up a great game for Temple to beat them and made get themselves in the field.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:00 AM   #453
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
He means, winning by 30 makes you soft. crushing teams the way they were crushing teams doesn't make you good.

Had SMU gave us a road battle the game before Houston, we might have came out different. But Huge margins where winning is easy, can make you soft. He says his toughest practices came after big wins.
Well good lord...schedule tougher then???? This whole thing makes no sense.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:04 AM   #454
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I'm more upset with the shitty hot takes than I am about losing to #23 in Kenpom Houston at home.

if Houston were in the Big East, they'd be in 4th place above Seton Hall, Providence and Butler and just one spot below Creighton. But because perception means so much to people, losing to houston was like losing to Mississippi valley state or something.

its insanity.

we can't have it both ways. We can't have a league that is improved and still run through like its the MEAC. If you want a respectable league then you want a league when you can lose on the road to multiple opponents.

We just punched Houston's ticket. And it sets up a great game for Temple to beat them and made get themselves in the field.
I don't hang my head losing against Houston. They are extremely solid. I worry about how it happened. It was a tight game that could have been won by changing it up a little and finding something that worked.

It's over though. No need to beat the dead horse. I put this one on Cronin more than the players. At the same time I put a lot of our wins on Cronin too so it's not a Cronin bashing session.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:29 AM   #455
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Well good lord...schedule tougher then???? This whole thing makes no sense.
We tried to make the conference schedule tougher by joining the big 12.

Other wise we can’t help how bad we beat our conference opponents
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:48 AM   #456
Fullam33

Fullam33 is on a distinguished road
Cronin full recap:

https://youtu.be/PYo1MEg65XA
Fullam33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:50 AM   #457
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
I simply don't know what you guys are watching when you watch Broome play. I'm not going to sit and bash him, but as physical as Houston was playing tonight they would've forced Broome to make many mistakes. There's a reason Cronin didn't put the ball in Jenifers hands tonight and he's easily our best protector of the ball. Broome and Jenifer are undersized and Broome is not strong physically. Clark was getting outmuscled, so you think Broome could beat those guys? Broome doesn't know how to reel his game in. He goes at one speed and tries to do stuff he can't at this level. He can get away with it in spurts and vs. bad defenses, but this Houston team tonight would've eaten him alive. And Jenifer plays much better half court defense. Not even close really. Broome is better in the press but you can't press Houston. I'm all for giving him a shot in there to try something different but I just don't get the mentality of Broome being the second coming. With the other four starters he still the fifth best option on the floor and the biggest defensive liability. With the starters playing so much, I'm fine with Jenifer being in there for his defense. And he actually provided some scoring tonight.
I'm with you on Broome. He hasn't been able to turn the corner and get downhill in the high screen game. And that's really the action to run with him. He has a very long way to go if he wants to be one of our go to guys. And that flat out isn't going to happen this year. It's not his fault. We see all the time how tough it is for first year guys here. He's no exception. I think we all just desperately wanted him to be bc the rest of our team is so good, and you can see flashes with Broome sometimes. But he isn't a guy who can help us night in, night out the way Evans, Clark, Washington and Cumberland can. Again though, that's not that weird that he isn't the best he'll ever be at UC at this point.

Look at his numbers in conference play:

18.5 minutes/games
30.8 FG%
55 FT%
10.0 points/40 minutes
10.6 PER
42.1 TS%

^These just give an idea, but that's what it is. No one else on the team would be getting a free pass for this. And we would never scream for more minutes for a player like this. You can complain about Cronin's handling him all you want but Cronin isn't making him have multiple 1-7 shooting games, Cronin isn't making him miss FTs, etc. He hasn't been as advertised and he's not ready...at least not to this point. Again though, I don't think he'll be ready this year. Not anyone's fault. Just bad timing with how good the rest of our team is. Too bad we can't have the Cane Broome next year, this year. But we need PG play desperately. I think it's going to be Evans more. And I think we'll see a lineup of Evans, Cumberland. Moore, Clark, Washington like we did down the stretch, maybe more than any lineup the rest of the year. With the Jenifer lineup being up there as well. JMO.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:56 AM   #458
GarradJ21
Epic Member

Quote:

its insanity.

That is good take. It really is you're right. But to me, we have not done anything with this season that is not expected. You put the top 15 teams in our shoes Nova, Xavier, Virginia, Duke, so on and so forth and they probably do exactly what we have done if not better. So I think it hurts when last night is a night to gain some respect and get a good quality win and we can't do it. I just think there's so many things that frustrates everyone about last nights game versus a game where we played at X when it was just clear they were better than us that night. This was not the case.

It's just so fortunate that this isn't the week we go play South Florida after that depressing loss. Thank God we get to play WSU at home and hopefully gain the team and fans confidence back.

Last edited by GarradJ21; 02-16-2018 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:57 AM   #459
GarradJ21
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
I'm with you on Broome. He hasn't been able to turn the corner and get downhill in the high screen game. And that's really the action to run with him. He has a very long way to go if he wants to be one of our go to guys. And that flat out isn't going to happen this year. It's not his fault. We see all the time how tough it is for first year guys here. He's no exception. I think we all just desperately wanted him to be bc the rest of our team is so good, and you can see flashes with Broome sometimes. But he isn't a guy who can help us night in, night out the way Evans, Clark, Washington and Cumberland can. Again though, that's not that weird that he isn't the best he'll ever be at UC at this point.

Look at his numbers in conference play:

18.5 minutes/games
30.8 FG%
55 FT%
10.0 points/40 minutes
10.6 PER
42.1 TS%

^These just give an idea, but that's what it is. No one else on the team would be getting a free pass for this. And we would never scream for more minutes for a player like this. You can complain about Cronin's handling him all you want but Cronin isn't making him have multiple 1-7 shooting games, Cronin isn't making him miss FTs, etc. He hasn't been as advertised and he's not ready...at least not to this point. Again though, I don't think he'll be ready this year. Not anyone's fault. Just bad timing with how good the rest of our team is. Too bad we can't have the Cane Broome next year, this year. But we need PG play desperately. I think it's going to be Evans more. And I think we'll see a lineup of Evans, Cumberland. Moore, Clark, Washington like we did down the stretch, maybe more than any lineup the rest of the year. With the Jenifer lineup being up there as well. JMO.
When it comes to Cane though I look so much more past the stats. I think the spark and illusiveness he brings is like no other.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:00 PM   #460
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarradJ21 View Post
When it comes to Cane though I look so much more past the stats. I think the spark and illusiveness he brings is like no other.
Hasn't really translated into a consistent player yet. And if he's fouling 3 point shooters and playing the worst defense of anyone on the floor, hard to look past rough offensive numbers too. Not trying to be hard on him, I just think we need to admit that he isn't ready yet to be the player we all want him to be.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote