Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-05-2021, 02:24 PM   #81
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loser Mentality View Post
Really lol!
Vogt was sort of set up for failure, just to run the "D" how the Coach wanted instead of the "D" being catered to his current Big Man's ability.

Wasn't he a Pre Season All Conference Selection?
It's a question that has been asked many times? Why does Brannen seem to want bigs who can't play the defensive system he runs. Vogt is the obvious example, but Sorolla, Rap and probably Lakhin also apply. Brannen has made it obvious he is not willing to adjust the defense to fit his personnel, but it seems he is also not able/willing to recruit players who fit his style.

My best guess is that despite what he may say, offense is his number one priority. To him defense and rebounding are secondary concerns. The team seems to have that attitude as well. Cronin thought he could take great athletes and teach them offense. Brannen thinks he can take poor athletes (who are good/great passers/scorers) and teach them defense.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 06:00 PM   #82
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loser Mentality View Post
Really lol!
Vogt had no business for the last 2 seasons on defense to be anywhere but inside the free line rectangle at all times.

We all saw what he was not able to do, but coach never adjusted, and kept running him out there to be abused, driven by, or to pick up or create fouls for team members. Instead of coaching to Vogt's strength lol! Created total loss of self confidence, for an area of his game that had not improved.

Seriously, if Vogt was used as a rim protector this year, I think some outcomes may have changed that could have resulted in wins.

Keeping him in the paint on defense would have allowed him to be more experienced and a deterrent in the paint. Let those with the ability to chase, chase players etc.

Vogt was sort of set up for failure, just to run the "D" how the Coach wanted instead of the "D" being catered to his current Big Man's ability.

Wasn't he a Pre Season All Conference Selection?
How many players in college basketball average 10 rebounds a game? How many 7 footers? I’ll wait. You act like because he’s tall, he should get rebounds. Honestly, tell me how many 7 footers average 10 rebounds a game.

Vogt was brought in as a stop gap and had to play when brannen stuck out. He had a games 20 games until teams figured him out. I’m not sure what your overall argument is at this point.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 06:10 PM   #83
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
It's a question that has been asked many times? Why does Brannen seem to want bigs who can't play the defensive system he runs. Vogt is the obvious example, but Sorolla, Rap and probably Lakhin also apply. Brannen has made it obvious he is not willing to adjust the defense to fit his personnel, but it seems he is also not able/willing to recruit players who fit his style.

My best guess is that despite what he may say, offense is his number one priority. To him defense and rebounding are secondary concerns. The team seems to have that attitude as well. Cronin thought he could take great athletes and teach them offense. Brannen thinks he can take poor athletes (who are good/great passers/scorers) and teach them defense.
The truth is there isn’t only one way to succeed, it’s not just the cronin way. You don’t have to have an athletic big. That’s just all our fans know. There are plenty of bigs that aren’t athletic that are good. Michigan has a guy right now. Gonzaga always had bigs that weren’t the best athletes. It’s just that brannen hasn’t got a big that capable of doing much of anything at this level. Aside from the 20 games Vogt was decent.

I do think it’s fair to ask where these guys fit if he wants to play an uptempo style. It doesn’t make much sense. Maybe it’s the only guys he could get.

Last edited by cincyguy13; 03-05-2021 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:19 PM   #84
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Yeah and Brannen has put us in a position where our best option for next year is probably Vogt or Diarra coming back. At least they know the system. He needed to get a project big in year 1 or at least year 2. Go back and you can find me harping on the subject.

Vogt is the best big man transfer that Brannen has gotten in two years. What reason is there to believe he can do better next year?

I'd be amazed if Lakhin is any good. Watch the twitter video of him knocking down threes. Yeah he can shoot, but he is slow footed and has a slow release.

We can't go back in time, but we can get rid of the guy who put us in this position. So Brannen better figure something out.
It’s really hard to get bigs. That’s not a secret if you look around our league. Mick even had a lot of trouble with it. If we are being honest, the first year, brannen wasn’t getting a decent big in the limited time he had to recruit. Last summer he stuck out. No way around it. I’m not giving brannen a pass, it’s his job to get players, but It’s hard to get quality big men. Maybe he’s learning how hard it is but it only take that one hit to turn the whole thing around.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:26 PM   #85
cincyguy13
Epic Member

In the videos I’ve seen, viktor looks a lot better and faster than Vogt right now. But sometimes those videos are deceiving. Don’t really know until you see him. I do think overseas is a good way to find talent. There are a lot of players in this world and some of those guys are not recruited as much

Last edited by cincyguy13; 03-05-2021 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:57 PM   #86
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Honestly, tell me how many 7 footers average 10 rebounds a game.
1 (Asbjorn Mitgaard, Grand Canyon)

Neemias Queta is pretty close at 9.9. Kofi Cockburn at 9.8. Some 6'11" guys are well above 10.

There are 22 7-footers in all of college basketball that play at least 20 minutes. Vogt is dead last in ORtg, def reb rate, foul rate, and free throw percentage.

I'm not making any point here, just throwing some stats around.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 12:42 AM   #87
Lawrugby

Lawrugby is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post

Neemias Queta is pretty close at 9.9. Kofi Cockburn at 9.8. Some 6'11" guys are well above 10.

There are 22 7-footers in all of college basketball that play at least 20 minutes. Vogt is dead last in ORtg, def reb rate, foul rate, and free throw percentage.

I think the stats speak for themselves. You don’t have to make the point.
Lawrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 05:41 AM   #88
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post

That’s kinda my point. Vogt isn’t good. Just because he’s tall, doesn’t mean he should magically get rebounds.
Old 03-06-2021, 11:26 AM   #89
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
In the videos I’ve seen, viktor looks a lot better and faster than Vogt right now. But sometimes those videos are deceiving. Don’t really know until you see him. I do think overseas is a good way to find talent. There are a lot of players in this world and some of those guys are not recruited as much

Viktor does look more than capable of running up and down the court. Videos of Vogt don't look like he's capable of doing it.

I don't think there's any doubt he's more athletic than Vogt, but thats not really saying much. Vogt is both slow and doesn't take good angles when trying to hedge. It's the double whammy.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 06:05 PM   #90
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Videos are deceiving. I watched videos of Dou looking like Michael jordan. Instead he’s quadri Moore
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote