Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-28-2021, 01:40 PM   #231
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
No way we can be in contact with another G. I don’t think DDJ is coming back or Banks scholarship going to get honored. All the top local kids are G/SF he needs keep their spots open and don’t make it look congested. Might not be here but I see Mason, maw, Mickey all using last year as free year. Got look at them as FR/SOPH
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 07:17 PM   #232
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Angelo Allegri is headed from UNCG to Eastern Washington.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 11:25 PM   #233
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Looking around for potential bigs who didn't play much, I wonder if Sterling Manley could be an option. 6'11" junior from UNC had knee surgery in 2019, but was a good rebounder, shot blocker, and finisher in limited minutes before that. Not sure of his health status now. He is from Ohio, so maybe we could lure him closer to home and maybe Wes has inroads from NC.

There are lots of guys like this who didn't play much for one reason or another. If we can't get a proven player like Naz Bohannon, hopefully the staff can do their homework and find a hidden gem.
Old 04-29-2021, 09:08 AM   #234
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Do we have any lists of guys we're in contact with? I've been off the grid lately.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 10:58 AM   #235
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Here is the current list of available transfers who played at least 15 mpg and are better than average rebounders for C/PF. The list is down to 18.
Pridgen and Littles have committed, and KeyShawn Feazell has entered the portal. Dusan Mahorcic is still in the portal but his name doesn't show up on Torvik for some reason. So still 18 good rebounders available per my simple criteria.

I haven't seen anything that indicates we're in touch with any of them. I'm tracking this for my own curiosity I guess.
Old 04-29-2021, 07:10 PM   #236
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Emanuel Miller picks TCU. I think he was the best PF available.
Old 04-29-2021, 07:37 PM   #237
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
We're talking to Antonio Daye Jr from FIU. He's a 6'1" junior pg. This makes me wonder if DeJulius is still weighing his options. Daye seems to be a defense first player, with an elite 3.8 steal rate and only a 2.6 foul rate. He's a poor defender according to BPR though. Poor 3pt shooter and turns the ball over a lot.
We didn't make Daye's short list (which includes teams as disparate as Kansas and UNCG).
Old 04-30-2021, 08:12 AM   #238
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Seems like things have slowed down quite a bit in recruiting news. I am guessing the new coaches are getting together and discussing strategy on remaining targets and priority. Taking time to get the last 2-3 recruits right after assessing what the roster currently has and doesn't have. I don't have a good handle on who the real targets are for bigs.

I like the idea of getting a veteran big who can rebound and defend and backfilling with some younger developmental big. Then if we have room for one more I would still like to pair someone up with Newman at the 3 with a different set of skills. Or a big time scoring wing/guard get.

If we happen to lose DD then we will likely want to get another PG although we may already have some backups that will work. If we lose DD though...we might be in a better position to land Paul M so maybe we don't fill that spot.

Still leaves open the question about how many spots we are filling. Could be anywhere between 2 and 5 depending on Dejulius, Lakhin, and Banks. I think we should probably count on taking 3 at least and let Banks walk on again if he wants to.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 08:51 AM   #239
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
It must be tough to sift through the portal as well. When considering P5 transfers you have to determine which players might be a head case and feel entitled to more playing time. Considering mid major guys you have to consider who is actually ready for the next level of play.

If you have your eye on 10 bigs in the portal (that seem to fit your system) you might trim that down to 3-5 after talking to them and discussing their reason to transfer. And those 3-5 will likely be on the radars of many other teams for the same reasons.

I hope we can get one impact big who is not currently on the UNCG roster but I would not be too worried if we take Abdulsalam as an extra rebounding big as opposed to a HS developmental guy. Not too interested in Bas Leyte. Seems to be plenty of impact wing/guards out there we can still land.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 09:06 AM   #240
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
It must be tough to sift through the portal as well. When considering P5 transfers you have to determine which players might be a head case and feel entitled to more playing time. Considering mid major guys you have to consider who is actually ready for the next level of play.

If you have your eye on 10 bigs in the portal (that seem to fit your system) you might trim that down to 3-5 after talking to them and discussing their reason to transfer. And those 3-5 will likely be on the radars of many other teams for the same reasons.

I hope we can get one impact big who is not currently on the UNCG roster but I would not be too worried if we take Abdulsalam as an extra rebounding big as opposed to a HS developmental guy. Not too interested in Bas Leyte. Seems to be plenty of impact wing/guards out there we can still land.
Is Abdulsalam even in the portal ?
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote