Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-28-2021, 12:47 PM   #801
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
But even though CWM talks about players not transferring I would imagine we could still see 1 or 2 rather than 4 or 5. Especially from the guard stable. And even more especially if we land another guard/wing this year.
It's possible one of our guards falls way behind the competition and doesn't get on the court much, and voluntarily transfers. I could also see a situation where they all perform well and no one wants to leave, which is a good problem to have. This isn't a huge issue, and it will have to work itself out in some fashion. I would just be focusing more on upperclassmen than young guys to balance classes.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 01:09 PM   #802
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Assuming everyone does stay an extra year, that may be a good problem to have. Though I'd bet at least a few guys either leave after their "senior year" to play at a pro-level (NBA or Euro), voluntarily transfer due to lack of minutes or transfer to play up a level.

I think at center it is more important to get a younger guy (assuming Lakhin is probably gone) then it is to maintain class balance. Koval is gone after the year no matter what, we don't want to have another guy also leave and need to add two centers again next year. Ideally, we add a JR (Collin Smith would be nice) and a developmental SO/FR at center.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 01:25 PM   #803
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

I have no idea what's going on with Lakhin. I guess my baseline assumption is DDJ and Lakhin are staying until I hear otherwise. If they leave, I would look to replace them in kind (DDJ with a senior, Lakhin with an underclassman). I also want to add any good rebounder of any age.
Old 04-28-2021, 01:46 PM   #804
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Remember Wes doesn’t play nobody over 25mpg, so telling recruits it’s 10-12 deep rotation wouldn’t be lying.
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 02:16 PM   #805
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMick View Post
Remember Wes doesn’t play nobody over 25mpg, so telling recruits it’s 10-12 deep rotation wouldn’t be lying.
I hadn't seen anyone else note that, went to check UNCG average minutes. It would be more accurate to say he rarely has anyone average over 28 minutes and pretty much never over 31. Seems like he does tend to go 11-12 deep getting minutes, with 9-10 averaging at least 10 minutes.
Old 04-28-2021, 03:17 PM   #806
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

I mentioned the 25 minute cap about a week ago:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
I think we still have room for 1 wing and 3 bigs to get 15-25 mpg depending on how good they are. Most guys on Wes teams play 25 min or less. Last year only Isaiah Miller played more, and he averaged less than 30. So I think MAW and Davenport will see their minutes cut from that alone.
Since then we've added 1 wing (McGinnis) and 2 bigs (Koval, Hensley). So one more big with a rebounding emphasis and I'll be happy heading into the season. After that just go after the best available player.
Old 04-28-2021, 03:35 PM   #807
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
I mentioned the 25 minute cap about a week ago:

Since then we've added 1 wing (McGinnis) and 2 bigs (Koval, Hensley). So one more big with a rebounding emphasis and I'll be happy heading into the season. After that just go after the best available player.
I must have missed it. It is good to see that Wes seems to practice what he preaches in terms of minutes. Can't count the number of times I've seen a UC coach promise to play an up-tempo, 9-10 deep style only to cut the rotation to 7-8 the moment things got tough (mostly looking at Cronin, but Brannen did it to).

If you want to run and play tough defense, you need to rotate in fresh bodies. Looks like Miller follows though on that.
Old 04-28-2021, 03:46 PM   #808
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Yep, and it should make foul trouble less of an issue.
Old 04-28-2021, 06:29 PM   #809
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Over at BCN Lobot mentioned the new transfer rules might affect Koval. Players who have already transferred (including graduates) will not be automatically granted another free transfer. Koval will probably need a waiver. I think he will probably get one due to the coaching change, similar to Vogt being able to follow Brannen without sitting a year. Something to keep an eye on though.
Old 04-28-2021, 06:43 PM   #810
skyblade
Epic Member

Hopefully he gets one, seems like a waste to give him two years of scholarship to play one year. He's not that good of a player.