Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 12-08-2014, 03:03 PM   #21
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno99 View Post
See I would disagree, Sanders has been horrible at the entry pass this year, refusing to even look inside most of the time.
Fair enough...so here is my question to you. Against a zone who gives us the best combination from the wing of entry passing to the low post, 3 pt shooting, and penetrating creases?
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 03:19 PM   #22
Robert
Elite Member

Robert is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Fair enough...so here is my question to you. Against a zone who gives us the best combination from the wing of entry passing to the low post, 3 pt shooting, and penetrating creases?
Sanders almost never makes post entry passes, and it drives me insane. Shaq at least tries, but he doesn't always make the right pass or do so at the correct angle. Right now, the answer to your question is probably Deshaun Morman. But they are all capable of making the right passes. It really isn't rocket science. They just need to keep reviewing film and seeing their mistakes... hopefully it will sink in.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 03:22 PM   #23
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Sanders almost never makes post entry passes, and it drives me insane. Shaq at least tries, but he doesn't always make the right pass or do so at the correct angle. Right now, the answer to your question is probably Deshaun Morman. But they are all capable of making the right passes. It really isn't rocket science. They just need to keep reviewing film and seeing their mistakes... hopefully it will sink in.
There is a reason Sanders doesn't turn the ball over very often and I've been saying the same thing that you just said for years. Sanders, even though he has played decently of late, never makes the difficult pass. He always just passes around the perimeter. Though Shaq is amazingly bad at entry passes for some strange reason.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 03:41 PM   #24
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
TLH, part of the reason is until this year we really didn't have a lot of options to throw it to. I could go back to the Yancy days and pull post after post about how he needed to stay down low and post up.

Having Clark,Ellis and hopefully DeBerry we'll give us options we have lacked in the past. It seems forever since we have had good post players. We have been perimeter oriented. It is part of the reason we have struggled offensively early this season.new players and new system. It will take time but hopefully get better. It is taking time for guys to get their timing down. They are just a count late delivering the ball. The better we get at it the more effective our shooters will be as well. They will be in a much better rythm.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 04:42 PM   #25
damon flint's 3 party

damon flint's 3 party is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Ha yeah we've needed an Antoine Tyler type for years.
LOL. Solid reference.
damon flint's 3 party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:56 AM   #26
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I think watching film will help a little but not a lot. I think it's more of a feel thing and you either have it or you don't. It's like "having a nose for the ball". Gary Clark has a nose for the ball on rebounds and steals...Moore does not. That means he basically is pre-meditating what is going to happen next. Some players have that ability to think one step ahead and other players are more reactive. There should be little to no hesitation when you've already set the next move up in your mind. We need more things like fake reverse then entry or no look entry pass. We have too many players who stare down at the low block and wait for the "moment" to occur while the defense gets in better and better position. Shaq and KJ tend to wait to long and stare it down...they need to fix that.

It is not rocket science...IMO it's instinct and it's VERY hard to teach that on video...but not impossible.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:23 AM   #27
Ryno99
Elite Member

Ryno99 is on a distinguished road
Right now I think the best options are TC, KJ and Deshaun. If Shaq would drive more from the wing I'd deal with his passing. The problem is the offense goes stagnant against the zone. If they don't get better at the inside out game, and the drive and dish, they will see lots of zone this year. I've watched a lot of basketball this season and to me, most teams run similar offenses, the difference is the confidence, entry passes and driving to collapse the defense, UC tends to just pass around the perimeter and throw up a prayer late in the shot clock. I would say they are better than last year already and it seems to be progressing so hopefully it will continue to improve. They now have the personnel to be good at it, with the low post players. Potential is there. Let's hope they continue to improve. I think they will.
Ryno99 is offline   Reply With Quote