Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-10-2021, 10:20 AM   #481
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDC View Post
Minutes will not be that spread out. Rotation gets smaller as the season goes along .

At the end of the year next year there will be about 8 guys getting most of the minutes and I would bet big money MAW will be one of them.
For sure, but over the course of the entire season most teams' regular players are getting 25-30 minutes. That's what my numbers are meant to reflect. I basically have a 9 player rotation - 6 guys with 20+ minutes and 3 guys with 15. I could easily see one being squeezed out due to performance or injuries as the season goes along. It's good to plan some depth.

This year MAW is getting 30 minutes. He can still be part of an 8-man rotation and get 15-20.

Last edited by sedziobs; 03-10-2021 at 10:23 AM.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 10:44 AM   #482
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
For sure, but over the course of the entire season most teams' regular players are getting 25-30 minutes. That's what my numbers are meant to reflect. I basically have a 9 player rotation - 6 guys with 20+ minutes and 3 guys with 15. I could easily see one being squeezed out due to performance or injuries as the season goes along. It's good to plan some depth.

This year MAW is getting 30 minutes. He can still be part of an 8-man rotation and get 15-20.
The way it seems to me CJB would like to have about 9 guys getting around 13+ mpg (give or take 1 player). Contrast that with Cronin and you are looking at 7 players in that range (give or take 1).

John will shrink the roster playing time as most coaches would as the season wears on...but it will likely include about 2 more players than a Cronin lineup.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 10:57 AM   #483
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
I’m looking to upgrade EVERY position on team. If we can make today’s starters bench players tomorrow, we have top 20 team next year.
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:05 AM   #484
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
https://theamerican.org/news/2021/3/...ll-honors.aspx

Keith makes 2nd team All-AAC

Eason makes the All-Freshman team
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:25 AM   #485
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMick View Post
I’m looking to upgrade EVERY position on team. If we can make today’s starters bench players tomorrow, we have top 20 team next year.
the problem is...it would be nice to upgrade every position but if you do it with transfers who can only play a year or two...you will get other younger players to transfer out. And then you are back in the same boat trying to upgrade every year after players leave. it's not sustainable!

I want coach to fill obvious holes with transfers (this year the 5 for sure) and build the rest from the ground up with HS players who will be good in a couple years. You can't keep recruiting over players and expect the young guys to stick around as they wonder if there will be a new transfer to start their position each and every year. Suck it up Buttercup only works one time. then they go somewhere else.
Old 03-10-2021, 11:58 AM   #486
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
That’s really hard in one recruiting cycle. Really hard in two. Takes time
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:07 PM   #487
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
That’s really hard in one recruiting cycle. Really hard in two. Takes time
Get Harvey back and that’s one starter right there. Vogt, Davenport, maw should easily be replaceable, Davenport more ideally would be 6th-7th man on real deal team. I’m all for bringing in PG and couple wings in from transfer route to push others either to be better or off team. If we have 5 open spots give me 3 transfer and 2 HIGH LEVEL HS kids
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:35 PM   #488
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Get Harvey back and that’s one starter right there. Vogt, Davenport, maw should easily be replaceable, Davenport more ideally would be 6th-7th man on real deal team. I’m all for bringing in PG and couple wings in from transfer route to push others either to be better or off team. If we have 5 open spots give me 3 transfer and 2 HIGH LEVEL HS kids
Sounds great. Not realistic. Why not just tell the players we have now to play better?
Old 03-10-2021, 12:38 PM   #489
itsamemario

itsamemario is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
PG: DeJulius 20 / Saunders 20
SG: Transfer 10 / MAW 15 / Mason 15
SF: Davenport 10 / Transfer 15 / Gabe 15
PF: Eason 20 / Davenport 20
C: Transfer 25 / Diarra 5 / Eason 5 / Lakhin 5

Imagine Powell as the transfer wing and LaRavia as the transfer big. That's a good team. I know I'm dreaming, but that should be the goal.

I've already shared how I think MAW is limited. Mason and Gabe have potential but are still young and limited defensively. I still like all of them for 15 minutes though. Davenport I think only gets about 10 minutes on the wing because we still need him quite a bit at the 4 unless Eason can regularly stay on the floor for 35 minutes. And you're right, none of those guys can drive the ball very well. A wing who is a good all around player would be a great fit next year, even if it's just a stop gap to bring the other guys along.
No way Gabe should be 15. Took an entire year off after only playing 2 minutes this year. His last real competitive game would have been in HS playing against not D1 recruits. Think hes 1-5 minutes a game until proven
itsamemario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 01:39 PM   #490
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsamemario View Post
No way Gabe should be 15. Took an entire year off after only playing 2 minutes this year. His last real competitive game would have been in HS playing against not D1 recruits. Think hes 1-5 minutes a game until proven
I think you could look at players opting out similar to an injury. It's not that uncommon for players to miss significant time with an injury and then come back and perform well the next season. I don't really know what to expect from Gabe, but 15 minutes could be reasonable. He might have an early adjustment period like Mikey and Mason had this year.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote