Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football

Old 12-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #1
Bearcat22
Elite Member

Bearcat22 is on a distinguished road
Nippert Renovation

Did anyone else see these tweets from Fox 19's Brian Geisenschlag?

Brian Giesenschlag ‏@FOX19Brian
Sounds like significant announcement about Nippert renovation will come in a few days. Babcock says it will be a "celebration".

UC had new contract offer on table that included plans for Nippert upgrade before South Florida game.
Bearcat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:15 PM   #2
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat22 View Post
Did anyone else see these tweets from Fox 19's Brian Geisenschlag?

Sounds like significant announcement about Nippert renovation will come in a few days. Babcock says it will be a "celebration".

UC had new contract offer on table that included plans for Nippert upgrade before South Florida game.
UC needs to be careful. They cannot put all the available money in the football basket. I get the need to upgrade things on the football side but UC needs to make sure that basketball is taken care of. We are lucky to have Mick and he is a throw back in the sense he could be here the rest of his career. Don't take that for granted and make sure the university does right by his program too.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
I don't really see the immediate need for a new basketball arena. I get it that the upper deck seating sucks but there are plenty of good teams that play in older arenas that have bench seating. Cincinnati fans gripe too much. If the reason you're not going to go to a game is you don't want to sit on a bench seat or pay enough money to sit in the third of the arena that is not bench seats then youre probably not a real fan anyway and would find some other excuse not to go. Support your team and good things will come. We live in a take, take, take society, everybody needs to be enticed to do something. If you are a fan/alumni then support the program how you can and quit bitching about the arena. The school's athletic viability is at stake. We've already cut some programs because we don't have the funding. Getting into a better conference to keep better dollars coming into the school is priority #1. This means football. Cronin is a smart enough man to know that. He will be better compensated long term if the athletic program as a whole is in a better situation. Basketball can compete nationally with the footing it is on now. And that is thanks to Cronin and the university for sticking with Cronin. Cronin deserves to be compensated and I think he is but I don't see the need to build a new arena when the athletic budget is already losing money.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
psax889906
Epic Member

psax889906 will become famous soon enoughpsax889906 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to psax889906
If it comes down to a head to head of which project is accomplished first, it will be football, make no mistake about that. The revenue that can be produced immediately and over time by a renovated Nippert with luxury suites and as a consequence entry into the ACC (or some other conference) can then aid in funding work on Fifth/Third.

I'm certain it's been discussed before, but... are there bylaws in place that prevent UC from using any of the ProudlyCincinnati campaign money for athletics? I'm sure there are countless things President Ono has in mind to do with that money- but placing a small portion of it (10-25 million perhaps) towards the athletics department seems logical. Someone with more knowledge of the master plan for that campaign want to break all that down for me?
psax889906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:16 PM   #5
Boiler Cat

Boiler Cat is on a distinguished road
Revenues aside, if a decision had to be made which to do first, that pesky detail of cost would likely be the driving factor.

Arena project ~2.5x the cost of a Nippert reno. On our budget, $60MM for a FB makeover is tough bullet to bite, but easier to digest than the BB arena price tag.
Boiler Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:54 AM   #6
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
UC needs to be careful. They cannot put all the available money in the football basket. I get the need to upgrade things on the football side but UC needs to make sure that basketball is taken care of. We are lucky to have Mick and he is a throw back in the sense he could be here the rest of his career. Don't take that for granted and make sure the university does right by his program too.
I think the University will do whatever is necessary to make sure that Mick is feeling the love as well. Our leadership is strong and I have complete trust in them.
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:29 AM   #7
Btown Bearcat

Btown Bearcat is an unknown quantity at this point
i like it the way they are talking this is just the first phaze

http://www.gobearcats.com/sports/m-f...121812aab.html
Old 12-20-2012, 02:31 AM   #8
Btown Bearcat

Btown Bearcat is an unknown quantity at this point

Last edited by Btown Bearcat; 12-20-2012 at 02:33 AM.
Btown Bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:48 AM   #9
BearcatAlum2012

BearcatAlum2012 is on a distinguished road
I love what it looks like but I don't know how the concourse isn't priority number one, and I am not sure(no architecture vision ha) where the room will be. In my opinion, if you want to have a good stadium that attracts fans, you need to have a big walk way so people have space to use the restrooms, and get food, and you NEVER should have portalets in your stadium.
BearcatAlum2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:02 PM   #10
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatAlum2012 View Post
I love what it looks like but I don't know how the concourse isn't priority number one, and I am not sure(no architecture vision ha) where the room will be. In my opinion, if you want to have a good stadium that attracts fans, you need to have a big walk way so people have space to use the restrooms, and get food, and you NEVER should have portalets in your stadium.
Whit Babcock addressed this in his press conference. All of these things you mentioned will be addressed. What you have to understand is that by removing the current press box, they will also be removing the brick wall that limits the concourse on the West side of the stadium. Everything there will be redone during the second phase of the construction. The first phase will leave the press box where it currently is and the second phase will happen during an offseason and the press box will be removed. At that time, there will be improvements made to the concourse area.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote