Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football

Old 07-22-2010, 10:12 AM   #1
Kingsley Court
Elite Member

Kingsley Court will become famous soon enough
How would you react?

Lets just say, that Tony Pike won the Heisman trophy after they beat Florida. He would be an even bigger star around UC than he is today. What if in a few years it comes out that Tony Pike did the same thing that Reggie Bush did. Would you want the school to act like he didn't even go to UC? Would you want them to try and erase everything about him in regards to UC football? Would you want UC to not allow him on campus any more?

For me, I'm not so sure that I could say I would want any of that. I can understand why they returned the Heisman trophy, but I wonder how USC fans are reacting to this whole situation, and if UC fans would react the same way.

So, how would you react if in a few years Tony Pike and UC was put in the same situation as Reggie Bush and USC?

"You better answer my texts or your banned."-Thegreatone
Kingsley Court is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:57 AM   #2
adrock
Elite Member

adrock has a spectacular aura aboutadrock has a spectacular aura about
I'm not really jumping on the "kill Reggie Bush" bandwagon, but the Heisman Trophy is awarded to the most outstanding player in collegiate football. NCAA regulations require collegiate players to be amateurs. If Reggie Bush was compensated he was not an amateur and should be deemed retroactively ineligible. Meaning he never played college football. Meaning he was never the most outstanding player in collegiate football.

I'm not thinking of it as punishing Reggie Bush. It's just that he no longer meets the requirements of the award.
adrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:43 PM   #3
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
It's silly to think any of it matters...so it's silly to do.

So what if they take away his Heisman...does it void his contract with the Saints? Does he have to give back all that $?

And who would want to win it now anyhow? Wouldn't mean a thing.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:07 PM   #4
Kingsley Court
Elite Member

Kingsley Court will become famous soon enough
I'm really talking more about the acting like he didn't go to school here aspect. Seems like USC wants nothing to do with Reggie Bush, would you want UC to do the same thing with Tony Pike? I kind of feel like Pike has played a big impact in getting UC more recognition, so I don't think I would want UC to act like he didnt come here.

Then again, I don't know if I would want him walking around campus talking to players and such, especially if UC was put on probation.

"You better answer my texts or your banned."-Thegreatone
Kingsley Court is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:52 PM   #5
Daniel Drake

Daniel Drake is on a distinguished road
Reggie Bush not only took money, but was extremely uncooperative. Add that the school knew about it and too were uncooperative. That is the problem. I would be pissed that he took the money, but the level of the penalty would determine how I treated him. At USC they pushed it back and back and that is as much what killed them.

Their program is in shambles right now. 15 recruits a year + loss of committed players this year + loss of Juniors and Seniors + not being able to sign more than 25 when they are off probation is going to make it very hard to recover. UCLA is salivating right now.

Sometimes it isn't what you do, but how you handle it later on.
Daniel Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:38 PM   #6
Little Danny

Little Danny will become famous soon enough
Is Kim Kardashian asking for for anything back?
Little Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:57 PM   #7
psax889906
Epic Member

psax889906 will become famous soon enoughpsax889906 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to psax889906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Danny View Post
Is Kim Kardashian asking for for anything back?
Finally we're getting to some important aspects of this discussion...
psax889906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:19 PM   #8
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
If the players choices ends up hurting the program in the long run, why would you want to keep up any murals, etc of him/her?
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:02 PM   #9
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Hard to say, this town loves Pete Rose. But I agree with the last point. A guy that ends up hurting you in the long term as much as Bush is hurting USC is hard to accept. I still have a little ill will towards James White and Jihad Muhammed for not being able to play out the NIT tourney and likely costing us the title. It wouldn't change my memories or enjoyment of that particular season, though.