Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Community Clubhouse > Cronin's Corner
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What is the dumber statement?
Bengals are a lock for the playoffs 6 46.15%
Not trading Andy Dalton for Andrew Luck 3 23.08%
Both are legit opinions 4 30.77%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-09-2011, 12:31 AM   #1
Kingsley Court
Elite Member

Kingsley Court will become famous soon enough
"Bengals are a lock for the playoffs"

I was hanging out with Thegreatone on Monday night. He claimed that the Bengals are a lock for the playoffs, and that if he could trade Andy Dalton for Andrew Luck right now, he wouldn't do it. I think he's absolutely crazy on both counts. The question is, which is the dumber statement?

"You better answer my texts or your banned."-Thegreatone
Kingsley Court is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:55 AM   #2
Thegreatone
Epic Member

Thegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura about
Kind of putting words in my mouth but fine. You have bought the Andrew Luck hype and thats fine but I have seen Dalton win NFL games.
Thegreatone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:53 AM   #3
adrock
Elite Member

adrock has a spectacular aura aboutadrock has a spectacular aura about
To be clear, I wouldn't trade Dalton for Luck either. Remember who the last sure fire #1 QB was? Sam Bradford. How's that going? Even when a QB is selected #1 overall, the success rate hovers around 50%. Why would you trade a guy you know wins in the NFL for a guy that has a 50/50 shot?

But saying the Bengals are a lock for the playoffs? Not so fast, my friend. The Bengals still have to play the Ravens twice and the Steelers twice. They could very well lose all 4 of those games. Then even if they go 3-1 against the Cardinals, Browns, Rams, and Texans they'll be 9-7. I would say they're likely to make the playoffs, but dude, it'll be really close.
adrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:11 PM   #4
ready2go
Elite Member

ready2go is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrock View Post
To be clear, I wouldn't trade Dalton for Luck either. Remember who the last sure fire #1 QB was? Sam Bradford. How's that going? Even when a QB is selected #1 overall, the success rate hovers around 50%. Why would you trade a guy you know wins in the NFL for a guy that has a 50/50 shot?

But saying the Bengals are a lock for the playoffs? Not so fast, my friend. The Bengals still have to play the Ravens twice and the Steelers twice. They could very well lose all 4 of those games. Then even if they go 3-1 against the Cardinals, Browns, Rams, and Texans they'll be 9-7. I would say they're likely to make the playoffs, but dude, it'll be really close.
Andy Dalton and AJ Green have created a special bond. If they could get Jerome more involved it will only get easier for the 2.

No question, this is the toughest part of the schedule. What is funny to me is how these analyst keep saying the Bengals have played no one. Yet these same analyst predicted the Bengals to be the biggest no one of the league.

Will also be interested to see the Pitt games. Out of the teams the Steelers have beaten, they have a combined winning record less than that of the Bengals winning opponents
ready2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:01 PM   #5
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Luck is way overhyped.

The bengals are no lock.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:23 PM   #6
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
The Bengals would be fortunate to win 10 games this year. Outside of San Francisco and Buffalo they haven't played a decent team yet (the Titans suck).

However he is correct (even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while) about Dalton, why trade a guy thats played well for an unknown commodity.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:04 PM   #7
Kingsley Court
Elite Member

Kingsley Court will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post

However he is correct (even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while) about Dalton, why trade a guy thats played well for an unknown commodity.
My whole argument here is, if Luck came out this year he would have been the number 1 pick, and he is easily the number 1 pick next year. The Bengals may have played the worst schedule in the NFL. While Dalton has played well, I still think he could turn out to be a very average quarterback. I don't think he will be anything more than average. I don't think Dalton is a franchise quarterback, I don't think he could lead the Bengals to the superbowl.

Luck is a stud, and MAY be a very, very good NFL quarterback. I certainly think he has a much higher potential than Dalton. I would take the risk for Luck any day of the week. If the team that drafts Luck wants to trade Dalton for Luck straight up, I'm not passing on that.

"You better answer my texts or your banned."-Thegreatone

Last edited by Kingsley Court; 11-09-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Kingsley Court is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:29 PM   #8
ready2go
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsley Court View Post
My whole argument here is, if Luck came out this year he would have been the number 1 pick, and he is easily the number 1 pick next year. The Bengals may have played the worst schedule in the NFL. While Dalton has played well, I still think he could turn out to be a very average quarterback. I don't think he will be anything more than average. I don't think Dalton is a franchise quarterback, I don't think he could lead the Bengals to the superbowl.
Luck is a stud, and MAY be a very, very good NFL quarterback. I certainly think he has a much higher potential than Dalton. I would take the risk for Luck any day of the week. If the team that drafts Luck wants to trade Dalton for Luck straight up, I'm not passing on that.
I do.

Finds ways to win close games, as a rookie. Very efficient in the red zone, as a rookie. If you don't think this guy is a franshise qb, not sure there are many out there that will be
Old 11-11-2011, 01:33 AM   #9
Butterfly

Butterfly is on a distinguished road
I'll start with Dalton, he's improved every week. Most rookies are not going to lead their teams back from the brink, if after 7 1/2 games he looks like he did against the Titans, I don't know how you can really tell the limits of his potential.
He's smart, he has a quick release(Luck does not), he has mobility, that 49 yard td pass against the seahawks he threw to Green, with the defender closing on him shows he has decent arm strength and can execute in a tough situation and he has the mentality of a winner.

It would be a bad move to waste a first round or any other picks on Luck, unless Dalton was injured. Me personally, I say fix that O-line.

As for a lock, not as of now. The fun thing about this team though, is that they haven't realized their potential. The egos aren't there and they're actually responding to the coaches quite well. They may make the playoffs this year, I wouldn't be shocked, but next year and the years immediately following, should be very entertaining. The offense and defense are improving, the defense is already one of the best in the league.

We may have this conference locked up the next couple of years.
Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:40 AM   #10
ready2go
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
I'll start with Dalton, he's improved every week. Most rookies are not going to lead their teams back from the brink, if after 7 1/2 games he looks like he did against the Titans, I don't know how you can really tell the limits of his potential.
He's smart, he has a quick release(Luck does not), he has mobility, that 49 yard td pass against the seahawks he threw to Green, with the defender closing on him shows he has decent arm strength and can execute in a tough situation and he has the mentality of a winner.

It would be a bad move to waste a first round or any other picks on Luck, unless Dalton was injured. Me personally, I say fix that O-line.

As for a lock, not as of now. The fun thing about this team though, is that they haven't realized their potential. The egos aren't there and they're actually responding to the coaches quite well. They may make the playoffs this year, I wouldn't be shocked, but next year and the years immediately following, should be very entertaining. The offense and defense are improving, the defense is already one of the best in the league.

We may have this conference locked up the next couple of years.
This point goes unoticed by most. Not only does he have a quick release, but he doesnt seem to hold the ball in the pocket for very long. Its catch and throw for him. It tells me that he is able to read the defense and make quick accurate throws to the right guys.