Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2011, 07:56 PM   #31
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
I agree this is embarrassing. I agree they should have blown this team out. However I disagree that this is on the staff.

Mick has thrown players out of practice. He has said this team hasn't stayed humble and is having a hard time handling prosperity. I believe he did see it happening and has tried to convey to the players this was inevidible.

The players have shown a serious disinterest in every game and have failed in effort. Especially once they got a lead. Yancy said after the game, "maybe this will humble us" verifying Micks concerns . If it doesn't nothing will.

Our former coach used to say the same thing after a loss and poor practice prep by the players. They have to remember what got them their success. It was hard work. My hope is this loss will be the catalyst to a great season.

There is a total lack of agression. Monday should tell us if the message was received. I'm now very concerned about a total lack of bench scoring and defense by this team. Only game three but Monday is huge in terms of which way this team is going.
I agree with this. This is a classic example of an over-confident team getting their comeuppings. This one is solely on the players. As far as the bench scoring, our bench are all freshman with two games under their belts. Getting Parker and Chiek in there will help tremendously even though I'm not too high on Parker. I think the bench will be a concern all year but can we really expect much contribution from them right now? Even more reason this game is dissapointing. Our starters played the majority of the minutes and still put up a horrible performance.

The loss was horrible, no way around it. The offense has stunk and the defense hasn't been crisp enough. My personal take on this game is to hang it more on the offense though. 56 points is higher than you'd like to see, but by no means an insurmountable total for our offense to put up. I think the biggest issue is giving up a 15-point lead. No excuse for that. I do find it interesting how fast alot of our fans have turned on Mick after one loss. The team played like crap, it's on the players. Good teams with good coaches and good players lay eggs all the time. Lets put this in the past and go forward. These players hopefully have swallowed their pride and will come out focused from here on out.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:40 PM   #32
ready2go
Elite Member

ready2go is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
No. The inability to run an offense did. Our half court offense is pathetic. Enough about defense. Outscore your opponent, theres two approaches.
We see eye to eye on this.

I don't get it. I understand playing hard and hustle, but you have to put the ball in the hoop. The BE is going to hit shots even when UC plays good defense. Finding ways to get high percentage shots is more of a concern than giving up 56 pts, 37 in the 2nd half or not, that is BE play
ready2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:31 AM   #33
Amberlycolonel

Amberlycolonel is on a distinguished road
The Cats are still searching for their identity on the offensive end of things and may not find it til mid season unfortunately. What I have noticed is the lack of assist coming from our PG position. The past 3 games, and correct me if I am wrong please, Wright has not had more than 4 assist in each game, against inferior talent. In my eyes, that is where the problem lies. Cash needs to step up and take control of the game. He is a good, well mannered kid and I have enjoyed being around him in the past. But he really needs to take his game to a new level if this team is going to be successful.
Amberlycolonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:57 PM   #34
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberlycolonel View Post
The Cats are still searching for their identity on the offensive end of things and may not find it til mid season unfortunately. What I have noticed is the lack of assist coming from our PG position. The past 3 games, and correct me if I am wrong please, Wright has not had more than 4 assist in each game, against inferior talent. In my eyes, that is where the problem lies. Cash needs to step up and take control of the game. He is a good, well mannered kid and I have enjoyed being around him in the past. But he really needs to take his game to a new level if this team is going to be successful.
Cashs turnover to assist ratio is bad.... Cant happen.