Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 12-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
Gotcha23

Gotcha23 is on a distinguished road
Mick's RECRUITING

I'm slightly confused why people seem to think MICK is a great recruiter. The guy can flat out coach and has the support of the city but where are the big time prospects at? I was under the impression when he got the gig he could bring in top 100 kids after some big seasons. Well, were past a few solid seasons and I'm not seeing anything special. SK is a stud but he was not highly regarded. He just worked his tail off to get where he's at. Am I the only one wondering if this talent is enough to compete for Elight Eights? Thoughts....

Per Rivals
Troy Caupain 3 stars
Kevin Johnson 3 stars
Deshaun Morman 3 stars
Jamaree Strickland 0 stars

Titus Rubles 3 stars

Jeremiah Davis 3stars
Ge'Lawn Guyn 3 stars
Cheikh Mbodj 3 stars
Jermaine Sanders 3 stars
Shaquille Thomas4 stars

Kelvin Gaines 3 stars
Justin Jackson 3 stars
Gotcha23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
Scheids21
Epic Member

Scheids21 is on a distinguished road
Good God...
Scheids21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
BearcatMick
Elite Member

BearcatMick is an unknown quantity at this point
Mick is one of the best recruiters in the country. Do not doubt him. Hes brought this program from thr abyss to the top. He clearly knows what he's doing.
BearcatMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:14 PM   #4
Gotcha23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatMick View Post
Mick is one of the best recruiters in the country. Do not doubt him. Hes brought this program from thr abyss to the top. He clearly knows what he's doing.
I'm wondering why he landed big time kids like Yancy, Lance and Cash when we weren't doing anything and now he's getting combo guards and unranked big men? It seems like the process occured in reverse.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:17 PM   #5
CanadianBearcat

CanadianBearcat is on a distinguished road
Im one that likes to think working your ass off is a talent...

Id take guys like Killa, Bishop, Parker all day if I could have them. The stars next to their names mean little of how good the players actually are or will become.
CanadianBearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:20 PM   #6
Gotcha23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheids21 View Post
Good God...
Explain....Not a valid enough post?
Old 12-13-2012, 04:21 PM   #7
CanadianBearcat

CanadianBearcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotcha23 View Post
I'm wondering why he landed big time kids like Yancy, Lance and Cash when we weren't doing anything and now he's getting combo guards and unranked big men? It seems like the process occured in reverse.
I may be mistaken, but I believe Jamarree was a big time recruit before his injury last season, so I think he is gonna be a steal. As for the other three they are all borderline top 100 playing in the current rankings anyways.

Rivals:
Johnson #114
Morman #125
Caupain UR
CanadianBearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:22 PM   #8
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianBearcat View Post
Im one that likes to think working your ass off is a talent...

Id take guys like Killa, Bishop, Parker all day if I could have them. The stars next to their names mean little of how good the players actually are or will become.
Exactly. Are we honestly going to have to go over this EVERY SINGLE YEAR?

You have SK as a National Player of the Year Candidate. Who cares if he was a 3 star prospect?

Cash is going to go down as one of the best PGs of this program.

I could go on and on. The fact is that Mick has a certain type of player he is looking for and has done a great job getting those players and making them excellent college players.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:23 PM   #9
Scheids21
Epic Member

Yancy - Hometown, Lance - No one else wanted him, Cash - Equivalent to getting Shaq Thomas. I don't understand this obsession with Rivals. I will take a team full of hard working 4 year players over pre-madonna one and dones all day long. Everyone wants the big recruit. If Mick can create a top 10 team, why do you care how many little stars a website put by their names back in high school?
Old 12-13-2012, 04:29 PM   #10
Scheids21
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
Exactly. Are we honestly going to have to go over this EVERY SINGLE YEAR?

You have SK as a National Player of the Year Candidate. Who cares if he was a 3 star prospect?

Cash is going to go down as one of the best PGs of this program.

I could go on and on. The fact is that Mick has a certain type of player he is looking for and has done a great job getting those players and making them excellent college players.
Jason we haven't been going over it every year; we've been going over it every week. It astonishes me. I love that as a whole, these players and the football team personify the university and city: Tough, scrappy, underrated. Of course it's exciting when your team is talking to or might get a top player, I get it. But just because Rivals says this guy is good or this guy isn't doesn't mean as much as we put in it. (i.e. as of 2 days ago, Rivals wasn't even aware Trimble was looking at UC and we were in his final 3)