Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2014, 05:58 PM   #1
JumpinJack5
Epic Member

JumpinJack5 is on a distinguished road
Good article on Strickland

1) I feel bad for Strickland and 2) I wish we had him:http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...ps-NCAA-ruling
Old 01-22-2014, 06:28 PM   #2
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpinJack5 View Post
1) I feel bad for Strickland and 2) I wish we had him:http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...ps-NCAA-ruling
jj not a subscriber so can't read it. You want to give me some details from article?
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:36 PM   #3
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
The NCAA is so lame. If he allowed to keep his scholarship that means he should be allowed to at the very least practice and be a part of the team. That logic makes no sense.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:49 PM   #4
JumpinJack5
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
jj not a subscriber so can't read it. You want to give me some details from article?
He started off at McClymonds High School and transferred to MetWest High his Junior year because he thought they were a better academic school. They had a problem with accreditation and the NCAA rejected 8 of his courses from MetWest. He missed his whole Junior year due to a torn ACL and he only played 6 games his senior year after complications from his surgery. He went to prep school, where he averaged 21 ppg, 8 reb, 3 blocked shots per game. After several appeals to the NCAA and 2,000 pages of documentation, he was denied each time. UC initially thought, worst case scenario, he gets a scholly and gets to practice for half the year, even if he can't play. Turns out, he isn't allowed to be around the team at all while the coaches are coaching, he can't stay in the same hotels, etc. he watches every game from Section 114, row 6, seat 1. The whole process has sort of thrown both him and the team (as coach Cronin says, they really miss him for rebounding and depth) for a loop.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:52 PM   #5
JumpinJack5
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
The NCAA is so lame. If he allowed to keep his scholarship that means he should be allowed to at the very least practice and be a part of the team. That logic makes no sense.
The NCAA never makes any sense. Mekale McKay can play right away because he needs to be closer to "grandma" in Louisville, but a kid who got good grades and did nothing wrong besides pick a school that lost accreditation gets punished. I know they are different sports, but you have to wonder, what is their logic (or in this case, why don't they use logic and reasoning).
Old 01-22-2014, 07:51 PM   #6
CaptDale
Elite Member

CaptDale is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpinJack5 View Post
He started off at McClymonds High School and transferred to MetWest High his Junior year because he thought they were a better academic school. They had a problem with accreditation and the NCAA rejected 8 of his courses from MetWest. He missed his whole Junior year due to a torn ACL and he only played 6 games his senior year after complications from his surgery. He went to prep school, where he averaged 21 ppg, 8 reb, 3 blocked shots per game. After several appeals to the NCAA and 2,000 pages of documentation, he was denied each time. UC initially thought, worst case scenario, he gets a scholly and gets to practice for half the year, even if he can't play. Turns out, he isn't allowed to be around the team at all while the coaches are coaching, he can't stay in the same hotels, etc. he watches every game from Section 114, row 6, seat 1. The whole process has sort of thrown both him and the team (as coach Cronin says, they really miss him for rebounding and depth) for a loop.
What he should be doing now is taking lots of classes to get them out of the way, working out in the gym with a trainer (not scholarship affiliated), running lots of suicides on his own, and shooting FT's until he's an 80%er. Then he'll be somewhat ready for next year. The kid got a raw deal, but like buying a stock, due diligence is required before you enroll in a school -just like you should do before accepting a scholarship from a university. His parents should have done that for him. I'm sure he had no clue.
CaptDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:54 PM   #7
Not Guilty
Elite Member

Not Guilty is on a distinguished road
We might miss him a little this year, especially with Lawrence hurt right now. But honestly I thought he was a good redshirt candidate before the season began. He has missed a ton of time over the last 3 years because of injury.

What really hurts is that he can't practice with the team this year. Glad to hear he has turned to corner with his mental mindset though. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to be away from team almost all the time.
Not Guilty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:47 AM   #8
coachpipe
Banned

coachpipe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDale View Post
What he should be doing now is taking lots of classes to get them out of the way, working out in the gym with a trainer (not scholarship affiliated), running lots of suicides on his own, and shooting FT's until he's an 80%er. Then he'll be somewhat ready for next year. The kid got a raw deal, but like buying a stock, due diligence is required before you enroll in a school -just like you should do before accepting a scholarship from a university. His parents should have done that for him. I'm sure he had no clue.
Strickland said in the article after every practice, since he cant practice with the team, he takes a team manager and shoots until he cant shoot anymore. If he does that and get in the weight room to add some muscle he could be a real force in the paint with that soft touch
coachpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:55 AM   #9
L-T
Epic Member

L-T is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachpipe View Post
Strickland said in the article after every practice, since he cant practice with the team, he takes a team manager and shoots until he cant shoot anymore. If he does that and get in the weight room to add some muscle he could be a real force in the paint with that soft touch
Incoming freshmen are always iffy, no matter how highly they are rated. This guy has such little playing time over the last 3 years and can't even practice this year, that I view him as nothing more than a big body and a project. Chances are that he will provide virtually nothing to our team next year and maybe even the following year.
L-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:57 AM   #10
bearcatbacker82

bearcatbacker82 is on a distinguished road
Will stickland still get 4 years of eligibility after this season?
bearcatbacker82 is offline   Reply With Quote