Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: Who is exceeding your expectations the most?
Cumberland 6 16.67%
Williams 18 50.00%
Brooks 5 13.89%
Jenifer 7 19.44%
Scott 0 0%
Broome 0 0%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2019, 08:06 AM   #31
ervins84
Elite Member
 
ervins84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 761
ervins84 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ervins84 Send a message via Skype™ to ervins84
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchick View Post
This is one of those things I look at and say pff to, rashawn fredericks and Justin jenifer have way different roles on this team
That's not what that means at all.

It means in the minutes they are actually in the game, Jenifer ends a possession as often as Fredericks.

Of course Jenifer has a way different role. One is a pg, the other a hybrid 3/4 and one has played waaaay more minutes than the other and been a lot more productive.

The above was not a measure of how productive they were with their possessions, just how many possessions they actually used when on the court.

ervins84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:22 AM   #32
waterhead
Senior Moderator
 
waterhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7,405
waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ervins84 View Post
Kpoms own classification

28+ go to guy
Cumberland is 30.4

Major contributor 24-28
We have none


20-24 significant contributor
Keith Williams 21.6
Cane Broome 23.4


Role player 16-20
Logan Johnson 18.8
Brooks 18.8
Scott 17.1


Limited roles 12-16
Jenifer 15.8
Moore 12.3
Fredericks 15.7

Nearly invisible <12
Eliel 10.4
Obviously this needs to account for minutes played. Jenifer played 34 minutes last night and Broome had 8. I don't care what your usage is at that point...you can't call Jenifer limited role and Broome significant contributor last night.

Quadri's usage was 24.3 two years ago.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:29 AM   #33
sedziobs
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 783
sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Torvik has a metric called PRPG, which is basically offensive efficiency adjusted for usage rate.

4.5 Cumberland
4.0 Jenifer
2.8 Scott
2.4 Brooks
2.4 Williams
1.8 Broome
0.7 Moore
0.6 Diarra
0.5 Johnson
0.5 Fredericks

This is a more useful tool for evaluating players' overall offensive contributions to the team. Usage rate is a useful tool for determining who is trying to create and force the issue.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:38 AM   #34
cincrulz11
Epic Member
 
cincrulz11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,173
cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Obviously this needs to account for minutes played. Jenifer played 34 minutes last night and Broome had 8. I don't care what your usage is at that point...you can't call Jenifer limited role and Broome significant contributor last night.

Quadri's usage was 24.3 two years ago.


i think people are getting caught up in thinking saying a guy having a lower usage is somehow talking down on the player.


i think ervins and i are just pointing out how ORTG works. just cause you have a high usage rate doesn't mean you're any good, it could mean you're terrible but selfish so you shoot a lot and turn it over a lot.



without running through all the years im guessing Jermaine Sanders in 2014 had one of the highest, if not the highest ORTG for any SF in the cronin era. i dont think anybody would ever consider him a great offensive player.


ORTG just isn't a stat you can compare when usage rates are in different ranges. It wasn't set up to work like that.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:48 AM   #35
sedziobs
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 783
sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
That makes sense. TBH I'm not as big on some of the advanced metrics. I'm a big baseball guy and theres a growing trend towards sabermetrics. While some stats are useful some just seem like they're reaching. Same here with some of the stats. A lot more goes into how effective a player is or isn't than stats can calculate.
I get this, but I think a lot of the "reaching" is due to a misinterpretation of a stat. In baseball, almost no stat gives a true player value, although WAR is an attempt. The drawback of WAR is that defense is highly uncertain. wRC+ is probably the closest we have to a true value that is predictive, though only useful for hitting.

Advanced stats can tell you about a player's individual skill set and how to build a roster and develop strategy based on that. They can't really give you concrete conclusions about how much better one player is than another. Same is true in basketball, where ORtg and Usage tell you certain things about a player, but not necessarily how valuable they really are at winning games.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:59 AM   #36
Jon Rycek
Epic Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,775
Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
And so you’re bringing up usage to compare why is ORTG is so high, but wouldn’t his usage as be lower because of how little he turns it over? He’s a primary ball handler when he is on the court, just cause he doesn’t shoot a lot or turn it over doesn’t mean he doesn’t have the ball in his hands a lot
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:11 AM   #37
waterhead
Senior Moderator
 
waterhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7,405
waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Torvik has a metric called PRPG, which is basically offensive efficiency adjusted for usage rate.

4.5 Cumberland
4.0 Jenifer
2.8 Scott
2.4 Brooks
2.4 Williams
1.8 Broome
0.7 Moore
0.6 Diarra
0.5 Johnson
0.5 Fredericks

This is a more useful tool for evaluating players' overall offensive contributions to the team. Usage rate is a useful tool for determining who is trying to create and force the issue.
I agree. I was going to mention this one too. It's a "points over replacement player" algorithm. And his PORPAGATU adjusts for minutes played. Which is why Scott is probably above Brooks here.

The link to explain how he gets there is interesting

https://www.bigtengeeks.com/new-stat-porpagatu/
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:27 AM   #38
waterhead
Senior Moderator
 
waterhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7,405
waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
i think people are getting caught up in thinking saying a guy having a lower usage is somehow talking down on the player.


i think ervins and i are just pointing out how ORTG works. just cause you have a high usage rate doesn't mean you're any good, it could mean you're terrible but selfish so you shoot a lot and turn it over a lot.



without running through all the years im guessing Jermaine Sanders in 2014 had one of the highest, if not the highest ORTG for any SF in the cronin era. i dont think anybody would ever consider him a great offensive player.


ORTG just isn't a stat you can compare when usage rates are in different ranges. It wasn't set up to work like that.
I think it's probably just how KenPom uses the verbage to describe each usage level...lol. Quadri was not a "major contributor" even if he shot a lot.

I understand the concept. As Sedziobs mentioned there are other algorithms that do a better job of figuring out the overall value of a player without placing too much emphasis on ORTG or usage etc
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:35 AM   #39
waterhead
Senior Moderator
 
waterhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7,405
waterhead is on a distinguished road
Revisiting Jarron. He started the season in OOC averaging 16 ppg. He's now at 19.3 ppg. His conference avg is 22.6.

Over his last 8 games he is averaging 24.5.

He has been trending up for quite some time and with the added focus on him from every team to figure out some way...ANY WAY...to stop him may be more impressive than just his totals alone. He's been nothing short of unbelievable all else considered.

It seems as though Brooks, Williams, and Jenifer although their improvement has been impressive have reached somewhat of a peak while Cumberland continues to seemingly show even a higher gear. He's knocking down 3's with a defender in his pocket and another defender nearby waiting on the pump fake. He's distributing and rebounding at a high clip.

If they only considered conference play he would be making a strong claim for first team All American status. 22.6 ppg, 5.5 rebounds, and 4.1 assists. Compare that to SK All American senior year of 20.6 ppg, 4.3 rebounds, 2.5 assists. Even with OOC in the stats Cumberland is at 19.3 ppg, 4.2 rebounds, and 3.5 assists. Those are comparable given the extra assist makes up for the point differential. And it seems he is likely to keep those numbers on the up trend.

I am not sure he is getting the credit he really deserves. We almost just take it for granted now what he is doing is somehow expected. It shouldn't be expected. Not with the amount of attention he gets from the opposing team. We should expect at least some level of egg laying here or there. It's just been an incredible run of basketball!!
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:18 AM   #40
GarradJ21
Epic Member
 
GarradJ21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,713
GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Revisiting Jarron. He started the season in OOC averaging 16 ppg. He's now at 19.3 ppg. His conference avg is 22.6.

Over his last 8 games he is averaging 24.5.

He has been trending up for quite some time and with the added focus on him from every team to figure out some way...ANY WAY...to stop him may be more impressive than just his totals alone. He's been nothing short of unbelievable all else considered.

It seems as though Brooks, Williams, and Jenifer although their improvement has been impressive have reached somewhat of a peak while Cumberland continues to seemingly show even a higher gear. He's knocking down 3's with a defender in his pocket and another defender nearby waiting on the pump fake. He's distributing and rebounding at a high clip.

If they only considered conference play he would be making a strong claim for first team All American status. 22.6 ppg, 5.5 rebounds, and 4.1 assists. Compare that to SK All American senior year of 20.6 ppg, 4.3 rebounds, 2.5 assists. Even with OOC in the stats Cumberland is at 19.3 ppg, 4.2 rebounds, and 3.5 assists. Those are comparable given the extra assist makes up for the point differential. And it seems he is likely to keep those numbers on the up trend.

I am not sure he is getting the credit he really deserves. We almost just take it for granted now what he is doing is somehow expected. It shouldn't be expected. Not with the amount of attention he gets from the opposing team. We should expect at least some level of egg laying here or there. It's just been an incredible run of basketball!!
Couldn't agree with this more. We all hoped Cumberland would be the Alpha but to hope and assume is one thing, to see actual results is another. He is truly going above and beyond this season.

I agree that some of these guys have leveled off. You see some flashes from the three role players you mention and others on the team but nothing compared to Cumberland. Williams quietly had a nice game on Sunday. Quietly besides his dunk LOL. Would love to see him knock down a few threes during this last stretch of games.

The one that is really stepping up and is playing more like we all thought he would be/hitting more shots is Cane. We need him to keep performing. His 3 point % is slowly climbing. I think it's too late to really fix his 3 pt percentage but hopefully he will get to 30% or so. I just hope he continues to score and give us the spark we need off the bench.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., - All material on this Cincinnati Bearcat discussion forum is strictly for entertainment purposes only. This site and any pages within are in no way affiliated with the University of Cincinnati. Any images, copyrights, or trademarks used on this site are used under the "Fair Use Provision" of the Copyright Act for purposes of comment, criticism, and news reporting.