Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-29-2019, 07:37 PM   #381
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchick View Post
Does the big east have more money than the aac?
Absolutely
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 07:38 PM   #382
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
he's got 2 years to make it to .500, 5 years to make a tournament, and 13 years to make 1 sweet 16. those are the extremely high mick cronin standards we hold around here.
Nope.

My guy, mick left him with a team ready to compete today. The opposite of what mick inherited in the best league ever created .

If he did that, I’d expected him fired ASAP and mike Bohn as well
Old 04-29-2019, 07:42 PM   #383
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
This does not sound like you are all in. Sounds like you are looking for reason to call for his head. Sounds like you can’t wait to call for his head. Sounds like you can’t wait to say, I told you so. That mick is the best coach we could ever get. But maybe this isn’t what your saying

I absolutely hope and pray he exceeds Mick’s standard

But if he doesn’t, your damn right I’ll make sure to let every one know how we used to have it.

I want Brannen to succeed through and through.

I hope he steals an elite recruiter and we start killing the recruiting trail . I truly do.

But I will also have to see it first
Old 04-29-2019, 07:47 PM   #384
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
You can cry about mick leaving forever, like the Huggins people that are still crying 20 years later or you can move on. Really that simple. He’s not coming back
I’m not crying about Cronin leaving.

My reaction is based on the last 3-4 years on message boards hearing from countless people how bad mick is, how great of a job UC is nationally, and how much better we can do.

I defended thx program then. And now I’m ready for that new glorious era of post mick Cronin basketball that I was promised.

I’m not being a Debbie downer. I’m on cloud 9... the Wooden era has arrived at cincinnati and I’m ready for it
Old 04-29-2019, 09:24 PM   #385
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Nope.

My guy, mick left him with a team ready to compete today. The opposite of what mick inherited in the best league ever created .

If he did that, I’d expected him fired ASAP and mike Bohn as well

they won't be if multiple people leave and they wouldn't have been next year with mick if cumberland was going to leave.

if cumberland leaves next year could be meh, and the players mick has here for beyond that aren't exactly looking spectacular. recruiting has really dropped lately, so much so we're banking on a top 150 guy and acting like he's a top 10 guy.

Cumberland was the last of the guys that were clearly good players as freshman. Caupain, Clark, Jake, Cumberland. We had been getting 1 a year. That hasn't been the case lately. The recruiting clearly fell off (and was never great).
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:04 PM   #386
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
they won't be if multiple people leave and they wouldn't have been next year with mick if cumberland was going to leave.

if cumberland leaves next year could be meh, and the players mick has here for beyond that aren't exactly looking spectacular. recruiting has really dropped lately, so much so we're banking on a top 150 guy and acting like he's a top 10 guy.

Cumberland was the last of the guys that were clearly good players as freshman. Caupain, Clark, Jake, Cumberland. We had been getting 1 a year. That hasn't been the case lately. The recruiting clearly fell off (and was never great).
I really think that Mick saw this as well as league is much improved and teams on his heels with coaches like Hurley, Penny, Kelvin and Marshall building programs (with recruits Mick said wouldnt come to the AAC). Not to mention bottom feeders USF and Tulane looking to improve with Brian Gregory and Ron Hunter

Last edited by Patrick Bateman; 04-29-2019 at 11:06 PM.
Patrick Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 03:57 AM   #387
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Absolutely
With no football conference and they have to play on FS1 when we play our games on espn, that’s surprising
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:09 AM   #388
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchick View Post
With no football conference and they have to play on FS1 when we play our games on espn, that’s surprising

FS1 went nuts and gave them a ton of money because FS1 was wanting to compete with ESPN. I think ratings wise it really back fired for them.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:14 AM   #389
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
I will be the first to say I was a Cronin guy, Cronin did a great job of turning this program around and brought us out of that disaster Huggins left us in. Micks philosophy was taking under recruited guys and developing them over time. Guys like Gary Clark, Troy Caupain etc. We got a few top 50-100 signings in Jacob Evans and Jarron Cumberland (who I don't think we would of got if he didn't live 40 minute away from UC). But Mick always did more with less and he was able to keep UC relevant.

Now with that being I would of been okay if Mick would had stayed but I think his time had kind of run it course here. I think it was time for a change between both Mick and UC. If he would of stayed I am sure we would remain in the top 3 or 4 in the American, have a chance at the conference title every year, win 20+ games and make the tourney almost every year, then lose in the first or second round, maybe make a sweet 16 one random year.

I am excited to see what Brannen can do, change can be scary for everyone who is involved with this program because there is so much unknown, with Cronin what you saw is what you got, a good usually underrated team in a lower conference who under performed in march. But he won games and that's what kept us coming back hoping for more. Only time will tell what JB can do and I am pretty excited to see how it plays out.

Last edited by cincyalum2014; 04-30-2019 at 08:17 AM.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:24 AM   #390
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I absolutely hope and pray he exceeds Mick’s standard

But if he doesn’t, your damn right I’ll make sure to let every one know how we used to have it.

I want Brannen to succeed through and through.

I hope he steals an elite recruiter and we start killing the recruiting trail . I truly do.

But I will also have to see it first
Sounds to me like you want a deliberate decision maker to hit the ground running and make some hasty decisions on recruits and coaches. That would be a recipe for disaster.

IMO there was nothing worse on this board than when we would have a bad game and we would hear about how awful we were going to be. Classic over reaction. Looks like you are falling into that trap before the man can sign his first recruit or see if he can hold onto the roster or find a top notch recruiter on short notice.

There were a lot of people on the boards who thought we could do better than Cronin but there were a lot who didn't see it that way and a lot more who felt like we maybe could and maybe couldn't.

Bottom line we have a new coach and I am fully behind the guy and the program and I am not going to flip out over every little thing that doesn't go our way. I want to see how he does in the 2020 class. I hope he can hang onto most of the roster. If Cumberland doesn't come back it's maybe 50-50 on whether we can make the dance. I think Cronin would have been able to do it with HIS recruits...but Brannen has to be able to put his style of player in place before we can judge his real worth.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote