Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 05-06-2019, 09:13 PM   #681
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealUC View Post
Safe assumption at this point. Wouldn't even be surprised Nas already knows something we don't. Of course i could just be looking for any reason a young man could make such an odd choice with his basketball career.
Something seems to have happened recently. Curtis was leaning UC and then changed his mind. Brooks has seemingly said goodbye without a new home. The players talk. I just hope Johnson stays at this point. Cumberland could be saying it’s a done deal he’s not coming back.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:38 PM   #682
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Something seems to have happened recently. Curtis was leaning UC and then changed his mind. Brooks has seemingly said goodbye without a new home. The players talk. I just hope Johnson stays at this point. Cumberland could be saying it’s a done deal he’s not coming back.
IDK, nobody knew what Samari was thinking other than cryptic tweets and IG posts, he never followed anyone on the team on twitter and never answered any questions about leaving. Brooks' handler stated he was leaving the day Brannen was hired, then followed by entering the transfer portal, was just a matter of time from there. I think JC had his mind already made and Mick knew as well, now coming to fruition.

Last edited by Patrick Bateman; 05-06-2019 at 09:44 PM.
Patrick Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:49 PM   #683
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
IDK, nobody knew what Samari was thinking other than cryptic tweets and IG posts, he never followed anyone on the team on twitter and never answered any questions about leaving. Brooks' handler stated he was leaving the day Brannen was hired, then followed by entering the transfer portal, was just a matter of time from there. I think JC had his mind already made and Mick knew as well, now coming to fruition.
He actually was following everyone on the team at one point but then went and unfollowed all of them.

That’s when we knew he was going to opt out.

Either way. This doesn’t feel good. We were from nationally relevant every single year to now have no idea what the hell is going on
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:17 AM   #684
Quadri's #1 fan

Quadri's #1 fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
He actually was following everyone on the team at one point but then went and unfollowed all of them.

Either way. This doesn’t feel good. We were from nationally relevant every single year to now have no idea what the hell is going on
Pretty sure we got a new coach, and that's what's going on. There will players that want to be bearcats, and play for John Brannen. Then there will be players that never really wanted to be part of The University of Cincinnati, and also only came to play for Mick Cronin.

Never forget being nationally relevant for underachieving in pretty much every aspect... sorry I almost forgot about our super defense that you know prevented us from playing in the 21st century.
Quadri's #1 fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:36 AM   #685
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadri's #1 fan View Post
Pretty sure we got a new coach, and that's what's going on. There will players that want to be bearcats, and play for John Brannen. Then there will be players that never really wanted to be part of The University of Cincinnati, and also only came to play for Mick Cronin.

Never forget being nationally relevant for underachieving in pretty much every aspect... sorry I almost forgot about our super defense that you know prevented us from playing in the 21st century.
This take is crazy. Almost every single player at every program comes to play for the coach. Isn't that why so many fans lobbied for Pitino, because players would want to play for him? Isn't this why Brannen reinforced from the start that his first job was keeping the players already here committed.

Underachieving in march? Sure. Underachieving in every aspect? If you really think that, your too far gone into Mick hating insanity to be worth talking to.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:12 AM   #686
waterhead
Senior Moderator

If Jarron comes back we still have a team. If he doesn't...well then it's officially time to get the rebuilding process started I would think. We still want to put a decent product on the floor this year but it's time to focus on 2020 if the insiders know something about Cumberland that we don't. I would hope Brannen is an insider...he has to have a mole on the team somewhere...lol! No need to rush 2019 decisions if Cumberland is out.

So we need a coach/recruiter now to help with the 2020 class. Need that to happen sooner than later optimally.

Sometimes you have to get the bad news out of the way so you can focus on the future. That time may be now. As fans we may not know Cumberland's intentions but there are likely people close to him that do. The writing seems to be on the wall...but stranger things have happened.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:48 AM   #687
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
If Jarron comes back we still have a team. If he doesn't...well then it's officially time to get the rebuilding process started I would think. We still want to put a decent product on the floor this year but it's time to focus on 2020 if the insiders know something about Cumberland that we don't. I would hope Brannen is an insider...he has to have a mole on the team somewhere...lol! No need to rush 2019 decisions if Cumberland is out.

So we need a coach/recruiter now to help with the 2020 class. Need that to happen sooner than later optimally.

Sometimes you have to get the bad news out of the way so you can focus on the future. That time may be now. As fans we may not know Cumberland's intentions but there are likely people close to him that do. The writing seems to be on the wall...but stranger things have happened.
Cumberland was invited to the G League combine which happens in mid may. I honestly think he is pretty much gone. If you have a chance to make money playing basketball, you go get your money. IMO
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:00 AM   #688
waterhead
Senior Moderator

There are some comments from The Athletic floating around about Dermarr J and his take on Brannen. I think the article is a few days old maybe more.

One of the primary takes is that Brannen's style (probably somewhat obvious) will be a lot more like a pro style vs Cronin's. Spacing the floor was a big focus. Brannen will have players sprinting to spots on the floor to create the spacing. Johnson felt that in Cronin's style too many players ended up too close to one another which kind of killed that pro style spacing creating bottle necks.

Johnson said he often yelled to players to get to the corners...but sometimes it seemed to no avail. What Dermarr was used to was not what Cronin was used to. Brannen puts X's on the floor and has players sprint to them to show them spacing.

One thing is for sure...a lot of fans wanted to see more of that spacing over the years with some good passing and ball reversals to keep the defense moving. Drives to the lane with kickouts to players in their spots. We will likely get to see that. Whether or not it will eventually equate to better teams is going to take some time. That type of offense is going to require some shooters. We will likely need at least a couple of decent shooting options waiting on the kickouts or ball reversals. We don't have the necessary shooters right now if Cumberland is gone and Moore can't snap out of his funk.

So 2020 is going to start the process of building Brannen's style and it may take a couple of years for that to start looking like a well oiled machine after that. So I think this is going to take more time than a lot of us had hoped but it is what it is. If this were a roller coaster we just went over that first big hill and we are going down towards the tunnel. We might just have to go through that tunnel first before we see the opening on the other side.

I had a lot of patience with Cronin and I will have that same patience with Brannen. They both deserve(d) it. I will not over react to each individual set back nor will I feel individual breakthroughs are a sign of the next coming of Coach K. It's going to take some time to TRULY know what we have in our new coach. Buckle up and enjoy the suspense of the ride (if nothing else). The suspense is usually half the fun. With Cronin...it seemed like we just kept going on a good ride over and over. It was fun...but the ride was the same. That old ride got torn down and we have a new one now like it or not.

That's it for my cheesy analogies for now...lol!
Old 05-07-2019, 12:49 PM   #689
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
Per source "2019 G/F Marcus Domask (6-6) of Waupun Wisconsin has narrowed his list down to five schools -- Cincinnati, Loyola, NKU, Southern Illinois and Wright State. He visited Wright State last weekend and will visit Southern Illinois and Cincinnati this weekend. "

This kid was a previous NKU commit under JB and then re opened his recruitment when JB took the UC job. So I understand why JB would reach out to him but for the love of god if we can't win a kid over from these other 4 schools. He averaged 26.8 ppg, 10.1 rpg, 5.8 apg while shooting 62% fg, 80% ft, and 48% 3pt. He was also 2nd team all state in Wisconsin two years in a row.

I don't understand how we are competing with the horizon league for recruits. It has nothing to do with this kid, its in general over what I have seen in the last few weeks of players we have visiting. They all have offers from mid-low majors.... and UC. Cameron Justice chose Western Kentucky over UC. I am not busting JB's balls over this because he had a late start on recruiting so I am optometric about the future but I hope this will not be a trend moving forward.
So looks like he has narrowed his list down to NKU, Southern Illinois and Wright State... He removed UC and Loyola from consideration. Not that I care to much about him actually coming to UC, I am more bothered by the fact that he committed to JB at NKU and JB couldn't sell him on UC? Maybe I am just looking to much into this but we can't sell a kid to come to UC over those 3 schools? Maybe playing time is a factor for him. I don't know how soon he would get on the court for UC.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:00 PM   #690
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post

If Bohn and the board wanted to keep the team and recruits together he would have hired Savino similar to what X did, and they had nobody transfer out. People would have complained about that.

When Samari fell into micks lap like many others ie. Brooks who had ZERO other offers, Curtis' best offers were MAC schools. UC should be able to recruit better than that. He has decommited twice, albeit to coaching changes but there are rumors that he has an "attitude problem" and would not be surprised to see him transfer again down the road.

Not sure what you mean by nationally relevant, I think UC is seeing now how relevant they are and how relevant Mick got them. If nationally relevant means finishing the year in the top 25-40 and first round exit, then I agree with Bohn, UC can do much better. Mick must have agreed as well as he was willing to put his alma mater/recruiting in limbo waiting for another job offer.

Last edited by Patrick Bateman; 05-07-2019 at 01:03 PM.
Patrick Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote