Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 12-03-2015, 11:59 AM   #511
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Thinking back to the game today, I feel somewhat optimistic for this season. Our offense is starting to get better and we have multiple guys that can score 10 points any given night. The defense will come around, and Mick will make sure this team is tough by the end of the season. Lots of room for improvement.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:04 PM   #512
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
If Troy is going to pick up full court all game he can't play as much as he did last night. I think he is better than Jenifer right now, but a exhausted caupain is not better than a fresh jenifer. Jenifer needs to play 12 mins a game and keep caupain fresh.
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:16 PM   #513
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-T View Post
Well so far its 2 guys say he didn't play well, and 2 say he played well. The fact that he doesn't take guys out for shooting tells me he wants guys to shoot, especially when they are open. I have seen him remove guys for shooting many times though. Last night when Deberry shot from above the free throw line, Mick immediately pointed down the bench and got him out of the game. If you're not seeing it, then you need to pay better attention.
He didn't yank him for the shot. He wasn't happy about it but DeBerry had just given up points on the other end. Just because Mick gives players freedom doesn't mean he is happy with any shot. He was pretty disgusted with some of Evans' shots last night as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchick View Post
If Troy is going to pick up full court all game he can't play as much as he did last night. I think he is better than Jenifer right now, but a exhausted caupain is not better than a fresh jenifer. Jenifer needs to play 12 mins a game and keep caupain fresh.
Agreed, which is why it's so important that Mick established Jenifer's role. And that role isn't to be the main guy.

Last edited by TheLongHaul; 12-03-2015 at 12:18 PM.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:49 PM   #514
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
I figured you would immediately come out with a response if it is about Jenifer. Not sure many people would say Jenifer played very well last night. If you take out the bad components from everyone's game, they all played very well.

He took a bad shot. It's one thing to take and airball a open 3, but he should never be forcing shots at this juncture.

And will you please stop using Mick allowing him to shoot or not yanking him when he takes a bad shot as an argument. Not sure how many more times I can state that Mick does not take players out for shooting...ever.
He may not pull players during the game for taking an ill advised shot but you have to know that Cronin tells each player in practice what is considered acceptable from them during a game in terms of where they can shoot from and when and why.

If you think Jenifer is going to shoot open 3's EVEN if Cronin has told him in practice not to...you're crazy. He was wide open...he took it...he missed...big deal
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 01:06 PM   #515
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
There you go with your "advanced stats" again

You should trust your eyes more. My eyes are telling me he's not playing much lately. The stats are just telling my eyes why...lol!
Why is there this perception that people that like to look at advanced stats don't use their eyes? And I honestly don't consider turnover % an advanced stat, it's an easy to calculate stat that should have been in the game since forever. Just because nobody used it in the past doesn't mean it's advanced (OBP in baseball is totally a sabermetric stat right lol).

I sure don't need "advanced stats" to tell me Ellis turns it over too much, Clark turns it over too much, and Jenifer turns it over too much. I don't need advance stats to tell me Evans is really efficient on offense or that KJ has been better with the ball this year (although still has his moments for sure).

But I'm gonna pay way more attention to stats than some random dude on a message board saying "yeah but my eyes told me this so its true".
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 01:11 PM   #516
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
Why is there this perception that people that like to look at advanced stats don't use their eyes? And I honestly don't consider turnover % an advanced stat, it's an easy to calculate stat that should have been in the game since forever. Just because nobody used it in the past doesn't mean it's advanced (OBP in baseball is totally a sabermetric stat right lol).

I sure don't need "advanced stats" to tell me Ellis turns it over too much, Clark turns it over too much, and Jenifer turns it over too much. I don't need advance stats to tell me Evans is really efficient on offense or that KJ has been better with the ball this year (although still has his moments for sure).

But I'm gonna pay way more attention to stats than some random dude on a message board saying "yeah but my eyes told me this so its true".
Sorry, I was being sarcastic. I love stats!!
Old 12-03-2015, 01:15 PM   #517
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Sorry, I was being sarcastic. I love stats!!
You aren't the person/people that mock them. And it's not just something that is confined to basketball.

But I was being serious, why do people think those that used advanced stats don't watch the game and see things.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 01:25 PM   #518
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
You aren't the person/people that mock them. And it's not just something that is confined to basketball.

But I was being serious, why do people think those that used advanced stats don't watch the game and see things.
Those that don't like the stats means the stats don't usually support their position and so they defer to the "eye test" or "common sense". Then when the stats support their position they will be sure to cite them...lol!!
Old 12-03-2015, 01:40 PM   #519
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I use stats in basketball much less than any other sport. For me, it is about using them to confirm what I'm seeing. I'd be surprised if there was a stat out there about our team that just totally blows my doors off.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 01:44 PM   #520
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Those that don't like the stats means the stats don't usually support their position and so they defer to the "eye test" or "common sense". Then when the stats support their position they will be sure to cite them...lol!!
How often in basketball is there a huge difference (assuming you have a reasonable sample size) between what you see and what the stats say?
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote