Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 12-21-2018, 02:31 PM   #31
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
moore's big problem is he has fallen in love with the pump fake instead of just shooting the rock.

Cane is coming in for JJ and being asked to take care of the ball play defense and facilitate the offense. Don't need him pounding the rock looking for his shot. He needs to take his offense within the flow of the game not forcing it. I think he is trying to do that. He just has not been as effective as JJ at it.
Cronin says he puts Cane in for offense. He says if Cane is scoring we will ride his hot hand but if he's not then we have better defenders basically. He's not being put in there to be Jenifer 2.0...nor should he be
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 02:32 PM   #32
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
moore's big problem is he has fallen in love with the pump fake instead of just shooting the rock.

Cane is coming in for JJ and being asked to take care of the ball play defense and facilitate the offense. Don't need him pounding the rock looking for his shot. He needs to take his offense within the flow of the game not forcing it. I think he is trying to do that. He just has not been as effective as JJ at it.

naturally if you're asked to play in a way that doesn't allow you to use your strengths and forces you to play to your weaknesses, you're going to struggle.

If JJ was asked to penetrate and sht a bunch of 3's off the dribble or coming off screens, he would struggle a lot too. it would be a waste of his talents to ask him to do that.

if we are going to ask broome to be jj, its a waste. he doesn't have that skill set. its a bad fit.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 02:49 PM   #33
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Cronin says he puts Cane in for offense. He says if Cane is scoring we will ride his hot hand but if he's not then we have better defenders basically. He's not being put in there to be Jenifer 2.0...nor should he be
Cane is being used in more then 1 role. Sometimes he is asked to run the offense. His role is determined by what is needed at that time. His versatility is what makes him valuable.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 02:50 PM   #34
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
naturally if you're asked to play in a way that doesn't allow you to use your strengths and forces you to play to your weaknesses, you're going to struggle.

If JJ was asked to penetrate and sht a bunch of 3's off the dribble or coming off screens, he would struggle a lot too. it would be a waste of his talents to ask him to do that.

if we are going to ask broome to be jj, its a waste. he doesn't have that skill set. its a bad fit.
No doubt Cane is better when he controls the ball and looks for his shot but I have to ask is the team better?
Old 12-21-2018, 02:57 PM   #35
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
No doubt Cane is better when he controls the ball and looks for his shot but I have to ask is the team better?
well we dont win the tournament without him playing like that and probably dont beat unlv either.

there is room on this team for cane to do cane. there isn't much room for the cane that second guesses everything he's trying to do and passes up easy shots.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:07 PM   #36
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
well we dont win the tournament without him playing like that and probably dont beat unlv either.

there is room on this team for cane to do cane. there isn't much room for the cane that second guesses everything he's trying to do and passes up easy shots.
he is very difficult for me to figure out.

Is his value only offense? He scored 14 at UNLV. After that he hasn’t scored more then 4 in any of our games. Our we better with letting him be Cane?
Old 12-21-2018, 03:39 PM   #37
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Cane is very hard for me to figure. Against UNLV Cumberland scored 3 points and Cane came in and scored the ball. When Cumberland and Williams are playing well Cane is limited in his opportunities. Williams is a much better defender and is big on the offensive and defensive glass. He helps the team much more overall then Cane. If Cumberland is scoring the ball you want the rock in his hands. This impacts how effective Cane can be. JJ is playing lights out. I think Cane is at his best when you can give him the ball and tell him to score the ball. That won’t happen when Cumberland is on the floor and playing well. I guess I have to Agree with Cinci and say Cane is a bad fit for how Coach is running this team. He isn’t a true PG and he isn’t our best wing. Right now his role is to pick up either wing offensively if needed and lately he isn’t needed in that role.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:40 PM   #38
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
he is very difficult for me to figure out.

Is his value only offense? He scored 14 at UNLV. After that he hasn’t scored more then 4 in any of our games. Our we better with letting him be Cane?

he's all over the place, last year was the same way. he was phenomenal last year from the first wichita st game to the first conference tournament game scoring 12.6 ppg and averaging less than a turnover per game. then he made a stupid mistake early vs memphis, got yanked and went into the tank the final 3 games of the season.

you can see it in cane when he's on the court. when he plays like he's looking over his shoulder and afraid to make a mistake, he's not any good. when he rips it loose he plays well. he turns it over more trying to be cautious than he does playing aggressive.

cane clearly doesn't react well to getting benched when he makes a mistake. there has to be a better way to reach him. maybe you let him play through them in games where you're clearly going to win. Pulling him every time he messes up has us in this same spot nearly 50 games later. it sure hasn't taught him not to do it (although honestly his turnover rate isn't bad at all, in fact its better this year than 3 of Cash's seasons and right on par with Cash's sr season).
Old 12-21-2018, 03:46 PM   #39
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
he's all over the place, last year was the same way. he was phenomenal last year from the first wichita st game to the first conference tournament game scoring 12.6 ppg and averaging less than a turnover per game. then he made a stupid mistake early vs memphis, got yanked and went into the tank the final 3 games of the season.

you can see it in cane when he's on the court. when he plays like he's looking over his shoulder and afraid to make a mistake, he's not any good. when he rips it loose he plays well. he turns it over more trying to be cautious than he does playing aggressive.

cane clearly doesn't react well to getting benched when he makes a mistake. there has to be a better way to reach him. maybe you let him play through them in games where you're clearly going to win. Pulling him every time he messes up has us in this same spot nearly 50 games later. it sure hasn't taught him not to do it (although honestly his turnover rate isn't bad at all, in fact its better this year than 3 of Cash's seasons and right on par with Cash's sr season).
I see what your saying but I’m still not so sure. He isn’t getting
minutes because Williams and Cumberland are the best wings on the team right now. The offense is going to run through Cumberland when he is on the court and playing well. Cane is most effective when he has the ball. If your not going to put the ball in his hands you are negating his effectiveness. Right now Williams and Cumberland are playing well that is why they are getting the minutes. Anyway that is how I see it. I agree with you right now Cane is a bad fit.

Last edited by WAITE HOYT 2; 12-21-2018 at 03:56 PM.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:55 PM   #40
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:

I think Canes ineffectiveness goes beyond his benching it’s that for him to truly be effective he needs the ball. When Williams and Cumberland are playing well he is not going to be given the freedom to pound the rock and look for his shot. The rest of his game is not good enough to earn him minutes if he isn’t being allowed to score the ball. JJ works well because he will get his offense off of Cumberland and the others. He also is taking care of the ball at a very high level. My hope is that if Cumberland or Williams are having a off night Cane will answer the challenge and score the ball while guarding and not turning it over. Like he did at UNLV. He saved our bacon that game.